PDA

View Full Version : newbie with questions

teebee
22nd July 2008, 03:47 PM
Hello all,
I stumbled upon this group and decided to join. My son (16yo) has Scheurmann's Kyphosis. His appt. a few weeks ago indicated his curve is now at 85 degrees. He has a slight scoliosis directly under his kyphosis.

He is having surgery next month. Pre op is next week and I need to know what type of questions I should be asking. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
tb

mark
22nd July 2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Tee Bee

First of all welcome to the forum, sorry for the reasons that have brought you here, but now you are i hope we can support and your family through this time, we are here day and night and usually theres someone around who can answer your questions

I'm just behind your son in the treatment cycle, is that you who posted on the pictures of my back, if so thankyou for your kind words, it seems your son is strong, i could never have gone swimming at that age, this is good,

I had my curve measured this morning, it is currently over 100 degrees and was probably the same as your sons at his age, things have moved on the surgical stakes and the younger you are the more correction will be achieved.

Some questions you may want to ask are

What is the likely correction achieved (its very rare to get a 100% correction) anything below 40 degrees will be a good result as that is the limit of the normal kyphosis

How long will it take my son to recover from surgery

Will it be a two stage procedure or one. Some curves need two operations depending on the curve

Will my son need to be braced following the procedure, some surgeons do post op bracing

What will the limitations be and when will my son be able to sart competitive swimming again, it sometimes takes up to 6 months before people get over this kind of surgery, unfortunately kyphosis is a little more difficult the scoliosis to correct due to the way the curve goes

What special equipment will be needed for son post operation, grabbers for socks, toilet seats etc

i will do some research and post a more detailed list later today

once again welcome to the site

mark

Amazed Jean
22nd July 2008, 06:09 PM
Just wanted to welcome you and wish you luck!

madmclw
22nd July 2008, 06:20 PM
:welcome2: I had scoliosis surgery at the end of last year, and I'm not sure how similar the surgeries are [not very is my assumption?], but I wanted to welcome you to the site =]

Maddy

GillyG
22nd July 2008, 09:28 PM
Hiya :welcome:

I'm afraid I can't add anything to Mark's post as my surgery was also for scoliosis rather than kyphosis. Maddy, I think the surgery is the same in the sense that they fix in rods and fuse the vertebrae, but in kyphosis surgery it often also involves osteotomies (cutting out small wedges from the vertebrae) in order to straighten the curve.

There are loads of us who can help with generalised questions about fusions though, plus we have a few 'resident experts' on kyphosis surgery who will be able to help you with the more specific aspects :D

teebee
23rd July 2008, 02:27 AM
Mark,
It was me who posted to your back photos thread.
Thanks for the suggested questions! You are awesome!
I look forward to more suggested questions.

tb

mark
23rd July 2008, 09:36 AM
Hi Tee Bee

Some more questions for your surgeon

What is the likely impact on the flexibility that your son will have especially as he is so active

How is the surgery to be performed, is it a one stage or two stage operation, if so how long is it going to be between the two surgeries

How large is the fusion likely to be

Is the surgery and recovery likely to interfere with his schooling, if so can the surgery be arranged around holiday time,

You might want to let his school know in plenty of time once you have arranged surgery so that if any alternative schooling needs arranging it can be done with minimal impact on his studies

Do you forsee any complications or risks (unfortunately like me your son has one of the most difficult kind of curve to correct)

Ask about sort of special dietery requirements

Ask how long the surgery will take

How long will he be in recovery

When can i see him after surgery

How long is he likely to be in hospital

What level of pain is he likely to have and what medication are going to put him on and how long is he likely to be on the medication for

Little Ali
23rd July 2008, 11:17 PM
:welcome2: Hope you like it here!

alyssa
24th July 2008, 12:00 PM
Hi there and welcome to SSo, good luck with surgery, I'm sure everything will be fine though xx

mark
24th July 2008, 01:10 PM
I'm going to therapy this afternoon but when i get back i will try and explore some more areas you may wish to discuss with your surgeon

madmclw
24th July 2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks Gilly :)