PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum. Kyphosis questions

mike1964
17th July 2008, 05:26 AM
Hi,

Mike here. New to the forum as of tonight.

44 y/o male living in the U.S. I've had thoracic kyphosis and scoliosis since my mid-teens. Tried bracing but never wore it enough to help. So I've been living with it for almost 30 years now. I believe back then my curve was 66 degrees and I don't think it's progressed. Never had a lot of pain but am starting to as I get older. Mostly my back starts to ache in the middle, sometimes in the lower, when I do a lot of walking or standing. I do a lot of biking and sometimes my lower neck starts to ache. I'm worried about the pain (or the curve) getting worse over the next 10-30 years but mostly I just have had enough of living with the deformity and what it has done to me pyschologically and emotionally and to my quality of life. I should have looked at correcting it surgically in my twenties instead of waiting.

I have an appointment with a surgeon Friday to take a look at me and discuss what may be possible. I understand the issues involved with surgery (risks, scars, loss of flexibility, recuperation time) and I'm fine with all of that. At this point all that's nothing compared to the possibility of having a "normal" back (or even close to it).

I understand surgery is usually performed for 70 degrees and over, generally speaking. It will be interesting to see what my curve currently is after almost 30 years. As I said though I don't think it's changed much.

How often is surgery done primarily for cosmetic reasons and not for pain? Do insurance companies fight that (I imagine they do). My x-ray diagnostic report showed no significant findings for anything that would cause pain. But I do experience some pain nonetheless.

I'm off to explore the great links I'm sure that can be found here. Will have lots more questions after Friday I'm sure. Any advice on what to ask the doctor, how to impart the significance of the psychological impact of this condition, etc?

GillyG
17th July 2008, 11:27 AM
Welcome to the site Mike :D Can't be of much help myself I'm afraid as my problem was/is scoliosis rather than kyphosis, but hopefully Mark - who is in a very similar situation to you - will be along soon with some words of wisdom :) Meanwhile, enjoy exploring the threads, there's loads of info to be found ;)

alyssa
17th July 2008, 03:37 PM
Hi there I also have kyphosis but it's only tiny (17 degrees when I had it measured before surgery) and I had surgery on the lumbar part of my spine as the main problem was scoliosis and hypolordosis (lack of natural lordosis) Now my spine is only to get better with surgery. Sorry I can't help much like Gilly said but maybe someone will come along soon to talk about their kyphosis.... I hope lol.
Welcome to the said Mark, I'm Lyssie xx

mark
17th July 2008, 05:20 PM
Hi Mike

Welcome to our wonky world, i'm sorry for the reasons that have brought you here but now you are i hope you get all the help and support you need

Also there's a distinct lack of male company around here so having another fella on board is quite a relief.

Your story is a lot like mine except i have been in pain most of my life, your question r.e motives, they will do the op for most reasons including cosmetic, if your a candidate for surgery, your a candidate simple s that.

I hope your surgeon lets you have the answers to all the questions you have, and those solutions reduce the pain you are now in

take it easy

mark

Amazed Jean
17th July 2008, 09:14 PM
Hello Mike and welcome. Where in the US are you?

madmclw
18th July 2008, 04:49 PM
Heya,

I'm a scoli kid myself, but I just wanted to say :welcome2:

Maddy :D