PDA

View Full Version : My pic!!

Becky
13th October 2004, 09:43 PM
Apparently this is my 38% curve which the consultant says he will be able to more or less correct completely with surgery!

It took me ages to get this pic up!

sins
13th October 2004, 10:11 PM
Your story is extremely interesting!!
When you had your telephone consultation with this surgeon did he tell you what kind of surgery does he plan to do for you?Will it be anterior or just straight down the back?I'm not too sure about how Lumbar curves should look as mine is mainly thoracic, but I've never heard of a 38 degree lumbar curve being surgically treated in an adult.
All I can recommend is contacting him again with a list of questions and being satisfied that you want to have the operation and finding out as much as you can about it before having it done.
Sins

Becky
13th October 2004, 10:30 PM
He said it would be on the side under my arm, iv been told thats anterior. I asked questions on the phone about whether i really need the op, and he reckons that because it was such a dramatic change (at one time they told me that it was VERY unlikely to change) he says surgery will be best to correct it before it gets worse and ill be too old, because im 18 my bones are just right to work on. For all I know my curve might be greater than 38% now since May! I feel like its worse.

I deffo want the op because im contious that its going to get worse when im older, and i dont like the way it looks!

elvinwarrior
14th October 2004, 12:34 AM
That's sort of how my sides looked before I had my op. Cute belly ring.

titch
14th October 2004, 11:27 AM
I can't tell from the picture if your head is centred over your pelvis or not, but I've read that single or primary lumbar/thoracolumbar curves are less prone to deterioration, however, I've been told by a couple of doctors that they can be more prone to causing trunk shift than thoracic curves, so sometimes even quite a small curve can benefit from surgery, because spinal balance can be as important as curvature.

I actually would have had to have revision surgery just for keeling off to the left, even if I hadn't had flatback, because although the curve was only around 40 degrees, it had me severely out of balance - I'll try to put up a picture later to show (I was a bit of an odd case altogether though :P ).

You definitely need to get more details out of the doctor though, regarding what levels he expects to fuse, how he expects it to impact your flexibility etc, so that you can make your final decision with the best information possible :-)

ivanleg
14th October 2004, 02:24 PM
Yep nice belly ring. ;-)
You don't want very uneven hips; the more you can have your hips and shoulders in line the better. If your curve has been growing quickly then surgery may be the best option. You should have finshed most of your bone growth so now's a good time.

Becky
14th October 2004, 07:10 PM
Last time i spoke to him he seemed to rekon it wont affect me very much and that i should recover quite well, i have every confidence in him!

I want to know what it feels like to stand straight!

Im not sure what ill do about my belly bar because ill av to take it out for the op, and ill av to ask one of the nurses to put it back in for me because it might heal by the time i get round to doing it!

Jonny
15th October 2004, 12:09 AM
My hips (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/jonajsil/standing_straight.jpg) looked very similar to yours before surgery, and now they're virtually completely even :-D

I don't see why they shouldn't let you put your bar straight back in a day or two after surgery, once you're awake enough to know where you are :-) you won't have any problems doing that, assuming you don't have a *very* long anterior scar with a dressing that covers your belly button. Which is very unlikely. The only thing is the area might feel a bit weird, but you'll still be OK putting one in :-)

elvinwarrior
15th October 2004, 12:21 AM
Why would you have to take your belly ring out?

tonibunny
15th October 2004, 12:40 AM
I'd imagine you'd have to take the belly bar out for x-rays, if not for the op! Shame, as it looks really good. I wish I had a nice flat tummy like that! Still, you can look forward to putting it back in again afterwards....maybe treat yourself to another nice bit of belly jewellery as a reward for getting through surgery :D

elvinwarrior
15th October 2004, 01:06 AM
Xrays. Hmm. That might be true, but you can get non-metal jewelery, such as Acrylic rings, that kind of thing that have no metal in them. I can't imagine why you'd otherwise have to take them out for surgery. Actually, you can get thing that just keep the peircing in place, but they're not very big. :bear:

Amazed Jean
15th October 2004, 04:13 AM
When my daughter (age 20) had her tonsils out -all the piercings had to come out. Even her upper ear and belly button. When we asked why they said first so they didn't get any germs and so they didn't catch anything on them while they were working on her ...............I think that translates to they were afraid of lawsuits. A nurse offered to come back before we took her home and put them all back in for her.

Little~shedevil~dee
15th October 2004, 03:16 PM
when i had an operation once they just covered my belly bar up only one was taken out was my tongue
once my bar fell out when i first had it pierced and i didnt know how to put it back in , it healed up over night and i had to wait a few years untill i got it pireced again . i wish i had a flat tummy like yours mines rounds and flabby lol

Jonny
15th October 2004, 04:19 PM
They ask you when you go into the anaesthetic room to take off any jewellery (including glasses and watch) and the anaesthetist goes down a checklist making sure you haven't got any "loose teeth or loose fillings or false teeth or metal implants" anywhere. I think there's an infection risk from jewellry, and a risk that when they intubate the tube will knock things loose in your mouth.

It was great to be able to say before the second stage, "yes, I do have a metal implant as a matter of fact - I have a rod on my anterior spine!"

Pikey
15th October 2004, 05:06 PM
Is it a single curve or a double one? It's unusual for a Surgeon to want to Operate with a single curve under 45% but then again just imagine being really straight again , i can only dream about being perfectly straight again as in my day the corrections were never that good .
I hope all goes well , take care .

Jonny
15th October 2004, 05:37 PM
I guess certain smaller curves have more likelihood of progression than others, and certain corrections will give better cosmetic results. Plus no-one turns down more business.

If miraculously my pre-op brace had brought my curve down to 35 degrees and they offered me the chance to avoid surgery, I'd still have gone for surgery, in order to be as straight as possible.

Becky
15th October 2004, 05:43 PM
You dont have to take belly bars out for xrays because when i had an xray done id only just had my belly pierced and was too scarred to take it out, but it showed up on the x-ray, i take it out for my x-rays now though. Im just hoping it wont heal up, i dont know how long it takes for them to heal.

its great to hear that your op was worth it jonny it gives me hope!

I get the feeling that my curve may have progressed since may pikey, coz it feels and looks worse, but that could be phscological (however you spell that) maybe the doc predicted it would increase. The docs talked for ages b4 telling me i needed surgery and seemed very keen for me to go ahead with it. Or i could av heard him wrong, i was pretty taken aback!

Becky
15th October 2004, 05:44 PM
Oh and its a single curve pikey!

Pikey
15th October 2004, 08:27 PM
i've got a single curve too , it's quite high up .Where about is your curve ?

Becky
16th October 2004, 10:20 AM
From looking at my x-rays its right at the bottom i think its makes my pelvis out of purportion because my spine is like a slight L shape rather than curving and then going back. If that makes sence?

Pikey
16th October 2004, 10:25 AM
yeah that makes sense , so hopefully should never suffer neck problems and no rib hump to correct and just the one operation so you should be up and about in no time .

Becky
16th October 2004, 10:49 AM
Yeh thats what the doctor reckons. My scoliosis may be mild, but the doctor reckons i need surgery for a reason, and with so many good outcomes of surgery from ppl here im quite positive about having surgery. I dont want to leave it any later just to reduce risks, and and to put my hip back in place.

I dont really have any pain pikey, just a bit in the bottom of my back when i sit in chairs to long, and it is just one easy process iv been told. The doc said it could take up to 4 month to recover properly but hes seen ppl go back to work after 4-6 week!

You know iv never really seen my self in full purportion, and yesterday i was talking to my friend in front of a full lengh shop window, and i look straight up my legs and then look as though im gunna fall over, its not to obvious, just to me becuse i know its there. so when i got hope i decided to try and feel my spine down my back, and i was shocked i can feel it!!

Pikey
16th October 2004, 07:55 PM
i had a photo taken when i was young standing next to my mate , i was as tall as him but my legs were much longer .That photo still hurts when i look at it .I have learnt to wear baggy clothes .I think you are right to look on the positive side of the operation and i think you will come out of it looking great .Jonny impressed with his positive thinking before his Op and he's doing great now and i'm sure you will come out of the Op feeling it was the right choice .Take care ,Pikey.

Jonny
16th October 2004, 08:07 PM
My pre-op x-ray too looked like the curve never straightened out, with L4 and L5 being at an angle still - it was certainly a low curve but balanced by the thoracic curve, which is why my curve of about 50 degrees didn't look any worse than your low but unbalanced single curve of 38 degrees.

It was really amazing seeing myself in a mirror for the first time after surgery :-)

Kaja
16th October 2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Jonny@Oct 16 2004, 08:07 PM
It was really amazing seeing myself in a mirror for the first time after surgery :-)
When I saw myself for the first time at the hospital, I was so sad. I looked horrible, even worse than pre-op, because I couldnt stand up. Aahh. I was crushed. "Why did I even bother to do this, I look like a freak now!", thats what I told my mum.. But hey! its better now! :D

elvinwarrior
17th October 2004, 01:35 AM
When I first saw myself in the mirror at the hospital (it was the first time I'd been out of bed) my nurse had me look at the scar because she wanted to see it, and I HATED it. I almost fainted. Now I know it's gorgeous. :-)

Becky
18th October 2004, 09:20 PM
i'v just realised that iv been writing % instead of degrees!

how silly do i feel!!!

becky x x

Jonny
18th October 2004, 10:57 PM
Don't worry Becky, we knew what you meant ;-)

Becky
19th October 2004, 03:29 PM
its a good job someone does jonny!!

Jonny
19th October 2004, 04:09 PM
we all did... if someone's talking about a 38% curve or whatever, no-one's going to think, "What on earth does she mean?" :-P everything you've said (so far ;-)) has made perfect sense :-)

Marti
19th October 2004, 04:55 PM
yeah, what he said. A lot of people use the % key, because there's no degree key on the puter.

Becky
19th October 2004, 05:05 PM
maybe im just really really clever thenand automatically used that without looking for a dergree key! i knew i was gifted!