PDA

View Full Version : I learned something today

BarmyArmy
12th October 2004, 10:18 PM
So this may be a long and rambling post, brace yourself. :D

I went to see my doctor today to get another prescription for my tablets and I wasn't feeling too good since I jerked my back on the bus on the way to the surgery. The bus had to brake suddenly and I fell forward from the seat & went about a foot in the air. Never good. :woe:

Anyway during my wee chat with the GP he asked me to lie on the couch and take off my shoes. I thought this was weird as we were just having a general "oh my back hurts" chat but hey he's the doctor. He got me to press on each side of my pelvis then he did some pulling movements on my legs and feet which hurt since I had jerked my back earlier. He then asked if I knew that I had one leg shorter than the other. "errr no " replies a shocked me. Turns out he had assumed because he sent me to a few consultants over the past 10 years (also had physio too) that this quick test had been done. But no it took him 2 minutes and no one had ever mentioned it before. This I'm not too happy about :soapbox: After all I'm even losing weight to see if that would make a difference when I may only need to put a block in my shoe :D

It's my left leg that about half an inch (1.25cms) shorter and obviously it means that my pelvis won't be level so I'm putting too much pressure on my left side. Now when I get the really strong and nasty pains they're on my left side. This could be the root of my extra pain that has been giving me so much trouble recently. I was told to buy insoles to put under my heel and see if that helps to relieve some of pain. It's shocking though that I've had terrible back pain for about 11 years and he suddenly thinks to double check after all this time.

So you guys know that I always refer to myself as wonky well no wonder. :glee: That's 2 minor but bothersome curves in my spine, a dodgy knee due to liagment problems, Holmes-Aides (pupils don't open and close at the same rate) in my eyes and now one leg that's shorter than the other.

Anyway I'm giving the insoles a go but since it's half an inch it's 4 insoles stuck together under my heel so it doesn't feel too comfy, it may take a while to get used to it.

Thanks for reading this long and demented ramble, I appreciate it :D. Does anyone on here have the same bother? And if so, how did you manage.

sins
12th October 2004, 11:41 PM
Wow, so we both learned something today.I've finally learned the name of the pupil dilation problem that my daughter has.Thanks leona!!
Does he think that the leg length difference may have something to do with your scoliosis?It would be amazing if this actually provided some pain relief.., but I can't help thinking that there has to be some more comfortable way of doing this.
Sins

Marti
12th October 2004, 11:59 PM
Can't they make you a custom shoe lift? My old tenant had one leg than was a good 3 or four inches shorter than the other due to a sledding accident that resulted in his hip and upper leg not growing fully. All his shoes have high platforms on one to even thigns out. I know your's isn't that extreme, but it seems odd that they would just have you take four insoles and pile them up.

I hope this makes a difference in your pain! And that's atrocious that they didn't figure that out earlier. Everytime I go to the doctor they measure my legs and they already know they're the same length.

BarmyArmy
13th October 2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by sins@Oct 12 2004, 10:41 PM
Wow, so we both learned something today.I've finally learned the name of the pupil dilation problem that my daughter has.Thanks leona!!

Always happy to help. :D I've had that for about 7 years now and the optition did worry me when he said I was the youngest person that he had seen with it. He normally gets people in the forties. So it means with my crap eyesight I have to get varifocals which usually ends in my paying about 250-300 for a pair of glasses. How old is your daughter Sins and does it give her any problems? I'm not bothered with it too much other than the expense of the vari-focals, of course. :D

I'm not sure about the shoe lift idea since it's not a large size difference. That's one to ponder about. I was told to try the insoles just now but my GP did recommend that I buy a heel booster however they come as a pair and cost 21 from Boots the chemist. But I did see a cheaper type made by Scholl that has tiny springs in them and looked groovy. I've made the insoles for my work shoes (I mostly wear them all the time anyway) and my slippers so I can get used to having it under my heel. It feels really funny :oops: I'm going to see how I manage with these then off of next months wages I'm gong to buy some fancy moulded heel boosters. I had already paid for 2 prescripstions today(12.40) so I don't have too much to spend just now. :ph34r:

My GP is keeping a check on me with the extra pills so I have to go for monthly check-ups and I have to let him know how I'm managing with the insoles.

Amazed Jean
13th October 2004, 12:44 AM
Leona, Isn't it strange that no one else has ever discovered your leg length thing? Once again I worry about the competence of the medical field. I hope the heel lift releives some of your pain. I've been asked lots of times by scoliosis doctors if one of my legs is shorter than the other. I don't think so but they always measure. So far they are even however one of my legs is fatter than the other - has been for at least 40 years have no idea why. Leave it to me to come up with something odd.

BarmyArmy
13th October 2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by amazed@Oct 12 2004, 11:44 PM
Leona, Isn't it strange that no one else has ever discovered your leg length thing? Once again I worry about the competence of the medical field.
Well I wasn't too keen on explaining it to my Mum :ph34r: thankfully she heard the story through my Aunt who I saw straight after my doctor's appointment so I think she had time to calm down. My parents and are not too happy that this was missed, but then it's my body and I'm not too happy about it either. :woe:

What's done is done but........ it does drive you nuts sometimes......... :nut:

Blair
13th October 2004, 12:52 AM
Hm... I wonder if your knee problem might be related to the leg length discrepancy?
I know before my surgery when my curve had me 52 degrees off balance, my left knee took one heck of a beating and was sore a lot...
Now that I am straight, the knee rarely gives me much trouble.

BarmyArmy
13th October 2004, 12:57 AM
Unfortunately the knee thing was because I slid on a huge patch of ice when I was at school (I was 16) and the top bit of my leg went in one direction and the bottom part went in the other. :ph34r: It was not nice and I couldn't walk for months. Though it's weird that it's on my left hand side since my curves are on the left too. :-?

See I told you guys, I'm completely wonky and doomed :D

elvinwarrior
13th October 2004, 01:57 AM
You're not the only one who's wonky. One of my feet is MUCH hotter than the other one, and this happened after my surgery. Apparently this is HIGHLY unusual. ;-)

butterflylr
13th October 2004, 03:52 AM
As far as I know, this leg thing is a common problem with scoliosis. Ever since I was diagnosed almost 8 years ago I have worn a small lift in my left shoe. It's only like 9mm but I can notice the difference when I am wearing it or not. My back aches MUCH more when I don't. Kinda strange. Supposedly if you straighten out the hips, then the compensatory curve can digress. Not sure if this is fact or fiction though since I am waiting to be able to get new x-rays. Either way, it relieves my pain. It did take some time to get used to but it's ok now. ;-)

BarmyArmy
13th October 2004, 10:43 AM
Yeah I'm not alone :D thanks Tesa and Lindsay.

I suppose this afternoon will be the real test as I've gotta go to work. I'll be working on the till on my own all shift (so I'll be very busy and constantly on my feet) as most of the depts are being rearranged including my children's dept. In some cases this means removing the back panles of the walls not just the shelf units. My workmates are doing all the lifting and moving so I'm just doing till sales and staying well and truly out of the way.

sins
13th October 2004, 12:57 PM
Thanks Leona,
I'm so pleased that you seem to have finally made some progress with your GP.It seems like you have a good one!
My daughter has amblyopia and is more far sighted in one eye than the other and has a prescription to counteract this.We discovered the pupils were not dilating at the same rate when she was given drops to dilate the pupils during her consultant appointment.She's doing well now thankfully.
Thinking back to the problem of your back pain,I think consultants tend not to have time to deal with minor adult curves and don't do anything than offer pain relief.They treat the symptoms and not look too deeply at the underlying causes.It's frustrating but it's something that we need to change if we can.
Sins

BarmyArmy
13th October 2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by sins@Oct 13 2004, 11:57 AM
I think consultants tend not to have time to deal with minor adult curves and don't do anything than offer pain relief.They treat the symptoms and not look too deeply at the underlying causes.
That is so true :nut: I've basically been told my a consultant that I just have to get on with it but somehow if it was happening to him I think he may have be more concerned.

Oh well, I'm off to work so we'll see how I manage with the insoles today. I'll let you guys know how I got on.

I'm glad that your daughter is okay now Sins :D

Cheerio :wave:

titch
13th October 2004, 01:59 PM
One of the first things I ever asked the first consultant was if my legs were different lengths - I've *always* had trouble standing for any length of time among other things, even before my back was particularly bad. He just glanced at me and said no, they weren't and that it wouldn't have anything to do with it anyway. At an appointment some time after the surgery, he had me lie down, and I said again that I thought they were different, and he checked me and said oh yes, they are actually quite different, isn't that surprising :rant: I have no idea how different they really are, or what significance it has. If I get the opportunity, I may ask at my next appointment and see if QMC have any ideas on it. I know my cousin wears a shoe lift which literally makes the difference between him being extremely fit and athletic or crippled by pain.

Hope the lift works for you!

gabrielle
13th October 2004, 03:13 PM
Hey there! Ever since my trip to Vermont at the end of Sept I've been sooo busy and have only had time to get here once. :-(

Anyhow, I have this same problem- yes, I believe it is fairly common w/scoliosis. Keeping an insole in my (left, too) shoe I've reduced a lot of my pain when walking. Without it I can distinctly feel bones rubbing/clicking against each other in my lower back, which is as annoying as it is painful. It doesn't seem like much of a "lift" in a measurable way, but it's helped me a great deal. I use one of those insoles made by Dr Scholl here in the US. Don't know if you have them there, but if not, you must have an equivalent. I really recommend it. Good luck! :-)

(The only thing new with me after all this time is that I had an MRI and now I go back to my Dr on Nov 5th to talk about what he feels will need to be fused, etc and hopefully to find out when surgery will take place.)

floralgypsy
13th October 2004, 03:49 PM
My dad has scoliosis as a result of having one leg shorter than the other. One of his legs measures 1.5 inches shorter due to many operations on his hips and knees after a bad accident 15 years ago. They made him a special shoe that enabled him to walk without a limp and hopefully reduce any more curvature to his spine, but it affected his knee badly so couldn't wear it. I hope your insoles make a difference to your pain, Leona.
x

BlueIce
13th October 2004, 10:05 PM
I don't know about my legs, but I do know my hips arenn't straight. It's not much, I think it's just 4mm, I noticed it on one of my pre-op xrays.
Keep us updated on the insoles!

BarmyArmy
13th October 2004, 10:23 PM
Well today's quick capsule review is...................urghhhhhhhhhh :woe:

I hate these things but I do realise that they may help so I'm not going to give up. But jeez it's irratating :ph34r: I've seen some Scholl inserts that I may buy when I have more money so I don't have to use the 4 insoles stuck together.

Thanks for the positive replies, I knew I could depend on you guys :niceone:

Marti
14th October 2004, 12:39 AM
Tesa, one of my feet is much hotter than the other one too! I had the anterior surgery on my left side, and ever since, my left foot has been much warmer and very dry. My doctor said it had to do with circulation i think. It's nice to know someone else has that issue too!

jfkimberly
15th October 2004, 06:09 AM
I noticed something odd the other day when I was walking around the zoo with my brother and sister (which was a bad idea, because I've been sick since Friday)... Anyway, I noticed that I walk with my left heel just slightly off the ground. Like, I walk on my toes with my left foot, but heel-toe with my right foot. I don't know if it's because of different leg lengths, or not, but when I do walk that way, my knees and hips don't hurt as much.

elvinwarrior
15th October 2004, 08:05 PM
My left foot is the exact same way! It's extremely dry, and much hotter. Apparently when they operate sometime they accidently cut through nerves on the side on which they're operating, because they're invisable. Did they make you have that test where they put the pressure wraps all over your arms and legs?
Anyway, measuring my legs was one of the first things that my doctor did, I wonder why a lot of doctors don't seem to do that?

BarmyArmy
15th October 2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by elvinwarrior@Oct 15 2004, 07:05 PM
Anyway, measuring my legs was one of the first things that my doctor did, I wonder why a lot of doctors don't seem to do that?
Because some are crap and are not really interested in helping the patient get better. They are happy to send us on our way with pills to mask and dull the pain :nut:

Sorry about that :oops:

elvinwarrior
16th October 2004, 03:04 AM
Awww. That really stinks. Pain meds are good, but getting better is so much better.

BarmyArmy
16th October 2004, 09:14 AM
Yeah see that part of my trouble, I'll never get better :cry:

Most times I'm actually fine with this since I've been struggling through for 10 years but I'm still a bit unhappy about the foot thing. When you're stressed and not feeling too good you kinda dwell on stuff. I realise that I should be grateful that I'm not as bad as some but sometimes it really gets down that I can't get more relief. I mean I do loads of stuff to reduce the pain and the consultant last time even had the cheek to say that every single thing I did was the right thing but he couldn't explain why I was in so much pain. I just am, great medical diagnoisis that eh. :soapbox:

Oh well maybe the shoe lift will help, it's just seems too easy and insignificant. After all it's only half an inch. :woe:

Thanks for listening :-) Don't worry I pormise that the cheery and demented Leona that you all know and love will return shortly :D

jfkimberly
16th October 2004, 11:18 AM
*bribes the cheery and demented Leona out with some chocolate*

Amazed Jean
16th October 2004, 02:25 PM
Hey, you sharing that chocolate? Its 7:00Am and I was thinking of chocolate anything for breakfast.

jfkimberly
16th October 2004, 11:09 PM
I brought extra for everybody else. Until we get Leona's cheery side out, I don't think we should come between her and her chocolate, so I made sure to bring plenty. *grin*

BarmyArmy
17th October 2004, 12:04 AM
Sorry for being grumpy, now I'm a bit :hunny:

I've had a lousy day at work, we were very busy and short staffed so I was basically working on the till from about 9.30 am - 5pm :ph34r: I was only off the desk for breaks and the last half hour of my shift to tidy the dept, I'm shattered and not feeling too well. :( We were getting really nasty customers today and on my afternoon tea break I went a bought a pile of chocolate for my workmates cause we were all very stressed. My back is also killing me because we went to a hockey match tonight so I'm not exactly at me best.

I gave in and went and bought a proper shoe insert this afternoon instead of the insoles, well Craig paid for them cause I'm running low on my wages. Pity I only need one for my left shoe as the pack cost 21. :ph34r:

BTW Comfort eating is fun sometimes, now where did my chocolate go *giggles* :D

jfkimberly
17th October 2004, 02:25 AM
Ugh. I'm sorry you had such a lousy day. But it's good you were proactive about dealing with it by buying chocolates over your break. :niceone:

I hope you get to feeling better soon.