PDA

View Full Version : Just Had Acupuncture.......

Simon
1st July 2008, 04:34 PM
Hi
I went to my weekly physio session today and i had acupuncture I was well chuffed as i had for a long time now wanting to give it a try...It went really well and i can feel a slight improvement of my pain but its early days yet she put 4 needles into my lower spine and 1 in either ankle then i waited for 10 mins and she can back gave them a twizz and then another 10 mins then took them out .

she has asked me to see how i get on and then she will further the treatment ie time the needles are left in and how many she puts in.

I know thats 3% of people who have had acupuncture it dont work as well Jessica whos a member has just started her treatment last week and she was in a bit of pain afterwards.

So lets hope it work to reduce my pain. Any one else tried acupuncture if so how did they get on with it.

Round The Twist
1st July 2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Simon,

I think Acupuncture is well worth a try for anyone with pain, after all you have nothing to lose hey?

I had a course of Acupuncture during my treatment by the Pain Clinic and although early signs were promising and I found it very relaxing it didn't work for me, but I do think there was a reason for that and that is I was being treated for a neuroma (a benign tumour of the nerves) which formed in the scar on my hip from the bone grafts for my first surgery and it was something that just *had* to be sorted with surgery in the end.

I really hope you find some benefit from your course and you find some relief from your pain,

Kat

tonibunny
1st July 2008, 05:01 PM
Hi Simon,

I'm really glad this has worked for you! I might try it again :)

I tried acupuncture a couple of years ago, and I had a bad experience but I put this down to the fact that I went to a traditional Chinese herbal medicine place to have it done. Their method of acupuncture is a lot different to that done by therapists registered with the British Acupuncture Council - they use loads and loads of needles. It really hurt me as they shoved them into all the spasming muscles in my back, and although they told me I would be much better the next day, I remained in pain. They also tried to sell me a "specially mixed Chinese tea" for 60 a packet, whilst I was lying on my front in agony with all these needles in my back!

The guy doing the acupuncture couldn't speak English so he had to get the receptionist to translate. I explained that I had infantile idiopathic scoliosis, ie I had had scoliosis since I was a baby, had lots of metalwork in my spine etc etc and asked if they had ever treated anyone else with this condition. I was told that "yes, they get people in every day" which of course would have been totally untrue. After I escaped from all the needles I didn't go back!!!

Be careful people - I know how desperate you can feel because of pain, but that makes you vulnerable to dodgy alternative practitioners. I think acupuncture can be brilliant because it worked wonders for one of my best friends (which is why I tried it) but it is really important to make sure that you go to a clinic that is regulated by the British Acupuncture Council :)

carolad
1st July 2008, 05:08 PM
Hi Simon

Thats great the acupuncture seems to be helping :D

Tonibunny - sounds like you had a bad experience there. I'm not surprised you didn't go back!

My own experience with acupuncture has been very positive. I've had it quite a few times (from 2 different physios - one private and one NHS). It definitely helps with my pain - much more effective than any painkiller I've tried (and none of the unpleasant side-effects). The first few times I had it, it made the pain worse for a day or two afterwards, but then there was a real improvement.

The only down side is that it doesn't last - it is just temporary pain relief (I think the longest I got out of it was about 5 days). But still, if it makes you feel better even for a few days, it has to be worth doing :) I think it is supposed to have a cumulative effect too, so the more often you do it, the longer you feel the benefit.

Isn't it amazing though - how can sticking a few tiny needles in your body have such a dramatic effect? And have you ever wondered how the Chinese discovered it in the first place? Did they just go about sticking needles in each other in a random manner to see what happened? :roll: :D:boing:

Simon
1st July 2008, 05:09 PM
Be careful people - I know how desperate you can feel because of pain, but that makes you vulnerable to dodgy alternative practitioners. I think acupuncture can be brilliant because it worked wonders for one of my best friends (which is why I tried it) but it is really important to make sure that you go to a clinic that is regulated by the British Acupuncture Council :)

Yea thats one of the reasons that i was so glad my physio done mine as i was going to pay for acupuncture but didnt want to go to anyone that i could not trust
She did tell me how it works and the way it works.
I will give it a go next week when she will up my time limit to 15 mins then she said after that she will increase the needles as and when she thinks its best........

titch
1st July 2008, 05:18 PM
It's also worth bearing in mind that unless the practicioner is properly registered, you won't be able to donate blood for some time afterward. Actually, that's probably not an issue for a lot of us as due to receiving blood transfusions ourselves we're not eligible, but it's worth bearing in mind even so.

Simon, I have my fingers crossed that it will work out well for you :) It's not something I've ever tried simply because I couldn't face the idea of it working well and not being able to afford to have it done again!!

Simon
1st July 2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks everyone
Is there anyway that you or anyone else for that matter can see there gp to have it done i know 2 of my doctors at the surgery are registered to due acupuncture and so is my phyiso.

It might be worth ask at your local surgery to see if any off them are then at least you wont have to pay the cost of treatment.

I only found out 2 weeks ago that my physio is registered and was pleasantly surprised when she asked me today had to sign a consent form and stuff but up to know am pain free.

May it continue........

tonibunny
1st July 2008, 05:26 PM
That's fantastic Simon :) It's really great to know that this is becoming available on the NHS. Hope your pain stays away!

GillyG
1st July 2008, 09:37 PM
Great news simon, I hope it helps :D

I tried it when my back first started to get really bad (about a year or so before I was referred to Mr Cole) and that was done by one of the physios at the hospital where I work, so it's definitely becoming available on the NHS :D Unfortunately, it didn't really do much but I think I was beyond help by then :( The physio said she thought I had suffered a vertebral collapse due to my scoliosis, and that this was why I had suddenly become much worse.

Hope things continue to improve, keep us updated ;)

alyssa
1st July 2008, 09:43 PM
Gosh that's such great news that the needles have given you some pain relief (*hugs*). I could probably do with the same thing to be honest, I might ask my GP about wether it would suit me. Seeing as the facet joint injections didn't work one bit. Althought I know I need to keep at the pilates as I deffo need more stability in my core muscles!

Take care Simon xx

Simon
4th July 2008, 12:57 AM
Just to let you all know am still getting very little in the way off lower back pain after my acupuncture on tues .
So am really happy took my pain patch off 2 to see how much that is masking the pain and it seems good so far.
Another session next tues so am hoping that acupuncture was the best think to have done.

GillyG
4th July 2008, 11:51 AM
Fantastic news Simon, long may it continue :D

carolad
4th July 2008, 05:41 PM
Thats great Simon - long may that continue! I'd be tempted to go back to it myself after hearing your positive results :D

Simon
4th July 2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks gilly and carlolad

Yea today very little pain i never thought it would work so well but i can honestly say its great.
Give it another go carlolad See how it goes.

mark
5th July 2008, 12:00 AM
Great news Simon, and your getting it on the NHS, even better,

mark

Louisse
5th July 2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Simon
Been reading through your posts today - very interested and glad to read about your success with acupunture giving you pain relief - and on the NHS too - even better! All the best. Louisse

carolad
7th July 2008, 12:54 PM
The only unfortunate thing about getting acupuncture on the NHS is that you don't get many sessions :( I understand why, obviously there isn't limitless money available for such things, so they have to call a stop to it at some stage - I got 6 sessions and then that was it.

But still, while it lasts, its great - and I suppose 6 sessions is better than nothing. Hope you continue to feel the benefits Simon :D

Simon
8th July 2008, 06:17 PM
Had my 2nd lot of acupuncture today it went really well had 8 needles today 1 on each my ankles 4 lower back and 2 on high left of my back .

Its doing great up to know and the physio wants me to go to a gym class they have there called back to life ....Tailored to suit me.

So am going to go there once a week So its all coolinesss ........

GillyG
8th July 2008, 07:23 PM
:squeeze: you deserve things to go well after all you've been through :squeeze:

MOB
14th July 2008, 01:58 AM
Hi Simon,
Glad to hear that acupuncture is working for you. I had a couple of sessions of acupuncture which helped me.
MOB xx

mark
19th July 2008, 10:01 AM
How's the accupuncture sessions going now Simon, are they still giving pain relief, i hope they are mate

mark

Lucy7
24th July 2008, 09:11 PM
Simon,

I get confused with your new "name". Just realised it is you....Sorry, been in a bit of a fog!

How is your pain now? I told you before you went into surgery that I would be thinking about you and Chele and hoping you both are pain free asap. I am delighted that things seem to be going well for you and you have inspired me to try this (I must admit I have to get over the needle part..!).

How is your general health doing ? How active are you? Gosh, I have so many questions for you!!!!

Take care and may you be finally getting the peace you deserve Simon

Hugs,
Lucy

Simon
24th July 2008, 10:05 PM
Hi lucy

Thanks for your kind words and sorry about my name change lol.............
Am doing great am not totallt pain free but i have come off my lycrica patches and now taking a new drug called meloxicam a anti inflammatory at first they seem to be doing not much at all but now as they have built up in my system they are fantastic i take 2 at night before bed and i drove 270 miles yesterday down to london and for the first time since my surgery i was pain free i couldn't believe it .
Today i have a tiny tiny amount of pain but no were near as much as before so am really doing well ..........

Thank you for asking about myself i really hope your doing ok 2 and dont forget to watch big brothers big mouth tomor night as am going on it ..................

Simon

xxx

Lucy7
24th July 2008, 11:19 PM
Aw Si - I can't get that here in the US. Maybe it will be on youtube?!!

madmclw
25th July 2008, 12:05 PM
Simon that is great news!! :squeeze:...about the pain lol. Still, being on the telly is pretty great too :p

alyssa
25th July 2008, 02:37 PM
Simon that's great news about the pain... and I shall be watching out for you on big brothers big mouth, I will be like 'AHHH THAT'S SIMON' *pointing*

mark
25th July 2008, 04:38 PM
Nice one dude, what time does it go out,

Lucy7
27th July 2008, 09:46 PM
Simon,

How was BBBM? I don't get it here and tried the website to see if I could do a bit of "Si Spotting" but there was no video link I could see.

Was it fun and how was the drive back up ?

Simon
30th July 2008, 12:27 AM
Hi guys

Had a wicked time in london big brothers big mouth was great ....its on you tube if anyone want to watch it ...........I got to ask bex a question 2 as she got evicted ......Then i popped over to minehead to see a few old mates ....got a bit worse for were but all good fun ...........

part 1 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_cLMI-2c8

part 2 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IX5T_L_Y04A

part 3 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uvh0Fg0uvw am on the end of this one asking the question

Try to spot me .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................................blue top near the little tv

Louisse
30th July 2008, 12:50 AM
Hi Simon
I spotted you!!!!
You looked like you were having a great time - glad you got to catch up with some mates later too. This must mean you are feeling loads better and things are 'getting back to normal for you' which is fantastic.
All the best
Louisse

Lucy7
30th July 2008, 11:23 PM
Glad you had so much fun. You were in a prime spot right next to the telly. But I must say that sitting without a back for so long make my eyes water with pain. How did you manage??

Minehead sounds a laugh also!! Just be sure to look after yourself otherwise I'll get all worried and start nagging you!!

Simon
31st July 2008, 12:20 AM
Yea my bad was uncomfortable as there was no back to the chairs thats why i was holding on to the tv for a while and fidgeting...but as i had a few beers before it and some pain killers it took a bit of the pain off slightly

Lucy nagg me anytime you always do anyway ha ha (kidding)

Your to kind to me to nagg me anyway .................

Lucy7
3rd August 2008, 05:53 PM
Never had a kid bro to boss about so I'll take it out on you Simon! haha. Not really. Just want to make sure you keep well :D

mark
3rd August 2008, 07:29 PM
There's nothing like a little sis for nagging

:argue::nono::rant3:

:D