PDA

View Full Version : Scoliosis and Pregnancy.

sins
23rd April 2004, 07:28 PM
Name: sins
Date of Pregnancies: 1997 and 1999.
Hospital Erinville Hospital,Western Road, Cork, Ireland.
Consultant Dr Andrew Curtain, Cork Clinic , Western Road. Cork, Ireland.
Complications Severe scoliosis, upper thoracic curve fused at 110 degrees and lower Lumbar curve 60 degrees unfused. 50% Lung capacity.
Moderate morning sickness, resolved at 11 weeks.
First consultant appointment at 21 weeks, normal scan.
No back pain from scoliosis.
Stopped work at 26 weeks due to breathlessness on stairs.
Developed severe preeclampsia at 32 weeks with high blood pressure and protein in Urine.Only symptoms were "seeing stars" when standing up.Admitted to hospital at 32 weeks.Prescribed total bed rest for duration of pregnancy.Gained fluid at rapid rate.Looked like "Michelin man" :roll: Had emergency c/section with general anaesthetic at 38.5 weeks due to unsatisfactory foetal heartbeat. Healthy 7 Lb girl. :cheers: Has physiotherapy to help clear mucus build up on lungs.No difficulty with C/section and recovered rapidly with little or no pain.

Bleeding at 7 weeks.Scan at hospital shows no foetus or heartbeat and miscarriage likely.Scan at 8 weeks in Consultant's rooms reveal heartbeat and small foetus. 9 week scan shows heartbeat and growing foetus.Bleeding stops at 14 weeks.Pregnancy goes well until 26 weeks and I stop work again.Very breathless and slowing up rapidly.Develop high blood pressure at 34 weeks.
Put on Aldomet to control it and works well.Admitted to hospital at 37 weeks for high blood pressure.Blood pressure stabilises and am allowed home for a few days.
Delivery of baby is expected soon.My two year old daughter developed a high temperature and I sat up with her all night.She was very ill and needed the doctor.Just as well I was home :P Two nights later I get up from bed and both legs collapse.Total loss of sensation for a few seconds.This continued all night and had resolved by morning.But there is a severe sore throat and I'd coughed up green phleghm.My Gp put me on ventolin and amoxycillin and I saw the consultant next day and admitted me to Hospital.The anaesthetist visited and explained that it was decided to deliver the baby and treat the infection aggressively as to leave the pregnancy continue was more risky.The Epidural failed due to the scoliosis and I had a general anaesthetic on top of the active respiratory infection.I had an 8 Lb 1 oz bouncing baby boy and was fine for 48 hours.My lungs began to fill with thick mucus and I couldn't breathe.With the abdominal incision I was unable to cough to clear it and didn't sleep for 48 hours.The Obstetric physiotherapist worked to clear the mucus, and the moment it was cleared it simply filled again with a loud hissing noise.I was put on a Ventolin nebuliser to help my breathing, given oral steroids(prednisolone) and the most effective treatment I felt was a hydrocortisone injection which stopped the coughing and inflammation.I also had an xray to check for a collapsed lung and cardiac compromise, but happily all was well.
After that tretment I recovered rapidly but my breathing took at least 6 months to recover fully.I felt that I had to concentrate to make myself breathe and that if I didn't I might forget to breathe altogether.My Gp has suggested for some time that I may also be asthmatic and put me on Ventolin and Becotide.My respiratory function is very good for such advanced scoliosis and my spine has not suffered any ill effects from the pregnancies.In fact it was fine.My advice to anyone with early onset scoliosis is to keep a close check on your breathing during pregnancy and be aware that this is the most likely complication from scoliosis.if anyone wants more information please feel free to e mail or PM me.
Sins

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Kayla
23rd April 2004, 07:29 PM
I have told myself I will never get pregnant! I have too many shunts plus the rods and now my little button NO THANKS!

BlueIce
23rd April 2004, 10:14 PM
i definatly do want kids, i just melt when i see one , especially those cute litlle kiddies. Maybe i'll chance my mind about it, i'm only 19 so no need to decide just yet :-)

BarmyArmy
23rd April 2004, 10:16 PM
Yeah I want to be a Mum too, I'm a bit broody but then I work in a childrens dept :-) My heart melts when I see a wee kiddie get all happy and carried away with the books in our shop.

Marti
23rd April 2004, 10:18 PM
I definitely want to have kids. Either that or adopt. I just love babies!

DublinPauline
23rd April 2004, 10:37 PM
Haven't time to add my story now, will next week.
Broodiness has a lot to answer for. :-D

Little~shedevil~dee
23rd April 2004, 10:51 PM
i dont want any kids i think they are cute but i have been told i might be able to have any

Sarah
24th April 2004, 07:56 PM
They have adorable faces but I'm not THAT broody yet I'm glad I can give them back :-D

mark
26th April 2004, 11:57 AM
Wait till you hit 30 thats when the biological clock starts ticking

BarmyArmy
26th April 2004, 12:01 PM
Well I'm only 2 years off that and I'm getting a bit broody just now. I'd hate to think how bad I'll be when I turn 30. :-D

Little~shedevil~dee
26th April 2004, 12:56 PM
maybe one day i would like kids but i will wait untill i find the right man and right now i dont think my b/f is

DublinPauline
26th April 2004, 01:01 PM
Name: Pauline
Date of Pregnancies: 1999.
Hospital: The Rotunda, Dublin
Consultant: Dr Paul Byrne
Background: I had never received any firm guidance on whether a pregnancy was advisable or not, but felt it could be risky with a 100 degree plus curve (fusion and harrington rod in 1979 when I was 13) and lung capacity of less than 50%. I also had a hole in the heart (VSD) repaired when I was six. I went to cardiac, pulmonary and orthopaedic consultants and was told that my only complication was likely to be increased breathlessness in the last trimestre.
Complications: My pregnancy was fine. My doctor decided from the beginning to deliver by caesarian section at 38 weeks as my "spinal deformity" as he called would make a vaginal delivery very unlikely. I worked up until 36 weeks and it was at that point that I was starting to feel uncomfortably breathless. For the last week I needed a number of cushions to relieve a breathless feeling when I was sleeping. The baby was delivered at 38.5 weeks under a general anaesthetic because the epidural wouldn't take. The baby was successfully delivered but I went into respiratory failure and was oxygen dependent for 48 hours after the birth. I *seemed* to recover well (only a chest x-ray taken, no other tests, not even an arterial blood gas test...) and went home after 10 days. Unfortunately, I developed fluid on the lung and had to be readmitted to the maternity hospital after three days and was moved to the ICU of the Mater Hospital. There were some scarey moments as we waited for the cause of the complications to be revealed and for me to come off oxygen. In the end, it turned out that my lung function was still recovering slowly and weak lungs can lead to a build up of fluid. I could write a long essay on what could have been done.

It took me a few months to get my strength back but we were thrilled with our little girl and we think it really has been worth it. It is now over four years since her birth and the advice to me has been that while the pregnancy, birth and aftermath could have been better managed, there are still significant risks that cannot be predicted. Also, while I feel pretty healthy now, I would say that my overall health probably disimproved by 10% or so as a result of the pregnancy - this mainly shows itself as extreme physical fatigue. I really want to be around for as long as possible for my daughter so that is the deciding factor in whether we would risk another pregnancy or not.

Jessica*
30th April 2004, 12:03 PM
I would love to have children when I'm older and settled. Just a little afraid of the complications revolving around pregnancy. Like with you Sins, if I was bleeding at 7 weeks I'd be petrified I was going to lose my baby, and you Pauline having lost atleast 10% of your overall physical health. I know you two have severe curves and what you've been through is quite extraordinary, it's admirable.

For a while now I've been meaning to say this, so Pauline...
"Ahhh"
You're puppy is so adorable!

sins
30th April 2004, 04:34 PM
Your lung capacity reduces with age anyway Jessica. I was 32 when I had my problem after my son.For anyone with a large curve(even if it is corrected) or reduced lung capacity I would say to you to go ahead and have your babies when you're in your early to mid twenties and place yourself under the care of a respiratory physician as soon as possible so your progress can be monitored.Pregnancy is not an exact science and even the healthiest, fittest and straightest of people suffer some surprising complications.It's such a complex and amazing process, sometimes you wonder how can anything go right!! But with the right patient information and a committed doctor, even the most severe of scoliosis maternity cases can be safely delivered.