PDA

View Full Version : tilted pelvis and scoliosis - which comes first?

carolad
23rd June 2008, 01:51 PM
Just wondering if any of you knew whether scoliosis causes a tilted pelvis, or whether it is the other way round? Maybe thats one of the unknown factors and no-one knows...

I'm asking out of general interest, but also because my physio is currently treating me for my tilted/twisted pelvis - she is trying to put things back where they should be! But then I was wondering if this will have any lasting effect. I did feel better the day after I'd seen the physio, but then the following day, I just felt things had gone back to 'normal' :woe:

So I began to wonder...if it is my spine pulling my pelvis out of alignment, then just working on the pelvis won't change anything in the long term. But then if it is the other way round, maybe if she can fix my pelvis, that might stabilise the scoliosis curves? Does that make sense?! :???:

Anyone had a similar experience or have views on this chicken and egg situation? :D

alison1407
24th June 2008, 08:40 PM
Hi, i first discovered i had scoliosis because of my hips being odd. i thought i had a pelvis/hip allignment problem and never even considered it could be my spine so that was a bit of a shock!

In my case the spine was causing my pelvis to be out of allignment but i guess it could work the other way - although i do think this is unlikely (i have never heard of this happening).

Having surgery made my hips more alligned, i personally dont think physio could have had the same effect. I can only state on what i found but im sure there may be others that can shed some more light on this.

Unregistered
24th June 2008, 09:28 PM
hi one of the first things my family noticed from quite a young age say around nine maybe, was that my school skirts never ever hung right, one side was always higher than the other.
but we knew nothing about the scoli till i was 16,or if i even had a curve at the age of nine,anyway i have one leg slightly longer than the other which also throws my hips of balance, with my case i persume my longer leg threw my hip out then my back went wonky????
last time i saw my consultant he told me no amount of physio will correct or stable large curves but it does help with strengthening the supporting muscles, im not being much help really am i lol
just ramberling on lol
lisalou xxx

carolad
25th June 2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the replies :)

Alison - I had thought the same for myself - for years I've thought I had a problem with my right hip, rather than my back.

Lisalou - I have one leg longer than the other too, so I wonder if that could have been the start of it... Who knows? The two problems are obviously connected but I suppose no-one can be sure which came first!

Your replies do confirm my suspicions though that the physio may be wasting her time by trying to realign my pelvis. If it is being pulled out of shape by the lumbar curve, it seems unlikely that it will stay where it should be! When I saw her last week, she spent about 45 minutes working on my pelvis and I have to say I did feel better the following day. Unfortunately though the effects didn't last, so the day after that, I was back to 'normal' :(

Oh well, I may as well continue with the physio treatment and see what happens - I suppose I shouldn't write it off until I've had a few more sessions.

I'll let you know how I get on :)

nutmeg
25th June 2008, 10:26 AM
I think in my case, the scoliosis came first and tilted the pelvis. However, it's not the real curve (which is thoracic) doing the tilting, it is a compensatory/postural lumbar one, so I have had some success (via Alexander technique) in levelling out my hips. One is still slighty higher, but it is far less noticeable than it was eighteen months ago.

carolad
25th June 2008, 10:48 AM
Thats very interesting Nutmeg - I'm also taking Alexander Technique lessons so its great to hear how that has helped you. And yes, that makes sense, if it is a compensatory curve that is pulling your pelvis out of alignment, it may be possible to partially correct it.

Hurrah for Alexander Technique :D

titch
25th June 2008, 11:30 AM
The other thing that I would note is that if it is actually making you feel better, even if only briefly, it's probably worth continuing with for a while. For one thing feeling better is always a good thing even if it's not for too long, but the other is that it may effect a cumulative result. While it's rather a different thing, when I had severe piriformis trouble, once I managed to find something that helped it to relax, it was still then a long slow process to get it gradually to a point where it didn't keep setting off again. You'll probably know when it gets to the point that you've given it a fair try and you're not going to get further relief :)

Little Ali
29th June 2008, 06:03 PM
The other thing that I would note is that if it is actually making you feel better, even if only briefly, it's probably worth continuing with for a while. For one thing feeling better is always a good thing even if it's not for too long, but the other is that it may effect a cumulative result.

I couldn't agree more! My physio always gets a bit frustrated that I go back so often because I think he wants to 'fix' me and see long-term results but being realistic, that's not gonna happen so I'm quite happy to make do with short term relief cos it's better than nothing.

jamielynn
29th June 2008, 09:45 PM
I have this problem also; Before my parents discovered that I had Scoliosis, I noticed that my hips were a little bit out of line. Now one is higher than the other lol, it's really annoying.:p

crkcallie
29th June 2008, 10:13 PM
I would have to say that the spine twists first and, as a result, the hips begin to twist. As my spine twisted more and more, my hips rotated worse.

bluestone
29th July 2008, 08:49 PM
I feel quite lucky as although my curve is now 60 degrees(2 years ago) my hips and shoulders are even and both my legs are the same length-will this always be the case?

RocketQueen
30th July 2008, 12:42 AM
Now see, I have been asking about this in the other forum.
With me my mum noticed I had one leg longer than the other, which is what eventually led me to discover I had scoliosis. But back then I never notcied my uneven hips. However (post op) I notice them a whole lot more, and it hurts, and makes me depressed occasioanly and drives me round the bend when I am riding.
Please keep me updated with your physio, and the alexander technique as i'd do ANYTHING to level them out again. x

carolad
30th July 2008, 04:15 PM
Well now, this issue just gets more and more complicated! I've been seeing the physio on a regular basis over the past while and she has discovered that my pelvis is not just tilted but is twisted on BOTH sides - the right side has slipped forward and the left side has slipped back. She seems to think that this came first, and then everything else went out of alignment to compensate.

So she has been trying to straighten my pelvis out and correct both sides. Unfortunately it doesn't stay like that, so the day after I've seen her, I'm back to my usual wonky state.

Rocketqueen - I wonder if you might have a similar thing going on with your pelvis. It might be worth getting someone to check this out. I agree about the horse riding though - now I realise why I can never sit 'straight' in the saddle, and why my stirrups are never level! I feel sorry for my poor horse who probably has no idea what direction I want her to go in because I'm not sitting straight!

RocketQueen
30th July 2008, 08:38 PM
I know, and mine trips alot, and i dunno if it's coz she has trotter in her, and has spazzy legs, or becuase I am unbalancing her with my uneven weight distrubution. :S. I am going to ring for an appointment with Mr Molloy tomoro. MUm says she knows a super physio i could try and get referred too. x

RocketQueen
30th July 2008, 08:40 PM
Oh and also mums given me some great excercise to help loosen things up a bit so i'll try and take some pics and show em to you so u can try em too.
Bear with me though as my computer is brand new and I havent figured out how to do photo's and stuff yet x

RocketQueen
4th August 2008, 02:34 AM
Just to update u all, I have booked an earlier appt with Mr Molloy in Sept to see if he can help me with this hip thing x

carolad
4th August 2008, 10:37 AM
Thats great RocketQueen - its definitley worth getting this problem checked out. I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

I'm starting to give up hope that the physio treatment I'm receiving will work for my wonky pelvis :( Although the physio manages to put me back in alignment, it doesn't stay like that - the next day it goes back to its usual twisted state. Oh well, just have to keep at it and see what happens I suppose...

titch
4th August 2008, 12:30 PM
Could be worth asking the physio if she's using the DonTigny method, and if she isn't *and* hasn't heard of it, could be worth suggesting she look into it to see if she thinks it would help. It's got a good rep among some communities for people with sacro-iliac troubles, which are often related to the pelvic bones being rotated forward or backward upon the sacrum. What I will say is if you research it and find any of the forums, *do not* take to heart the number of deeply screwed up people you may find. The whole issue of sacro-iliac dysfunction is a controlversial one in many circles, and just as in any emerging (or re-emerging) field, a lot of mistakes get made in order to develop full understanding of the problem and also, as can be seen here, it's typically people with problems who gravitate to forums and who then stay long term, with the result you get a rather skewed view on things at times!

carolad
4th August 2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for that Titch - I've never heard of this, so I'll have a look and see what I can find out about it.

I've no idea what methods my physio is using, but she seems to be very good at what she does, and she does manage to push the bones back to where they should be - the problem is that it doesn't hold. Then again, I reckon its been like this since I was a teenager (I'm 39 now) so I suppose its not surprising that its keeps going back to its more usual state.

And I'm still really confused about the relationship between this problem and my scoliosis :boggle: Although I suppose it hardly matters - if I can get something that helps the pain, I don't really care which came first!

Thanks for that - must see what I can find on DonTigney.

titch
4th August 2008, 03:56 PM
It's likely that she is using something similar, if not the same - as I understand it with DonTigny it's perhaps more of a case of he's come up with a set of things that work well together. In any case, your physio will have her own thoughts on it all, and if she's not heard of him might at least find the info interesting :)

Little Ali
4th August 2008, 05:10 PM
:squeeze:Good luck Emily!

RocketQueen
4th August 2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks everyone :)

Carolad, have u mentioned to your physio that you just end up the same way again the next day? This might be an idea, mebbe she could try something different then, or offer some advice as to keeping you aligned? x

GillyG
4th August 2008, 11:31 PM
Good for you Emily, I hope he can give you some answers ...

carolad
5th August 2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks everyone :)

Carolad, have u mentioned to your physio that you just end up the same way again the next day? This might be an idea, mebbe she could try something different then, or offer some advice as to keeping you aligned? x

Yes, I have mentioned this to her - and she seems even more disappointed than me that it doesn't last, bless her! She has given me some specific exercises to try to get the pelvic bones to 'hold', and she has also told me to keep with the pilates. Although I do wonder about this - if I have strong core muscles, are they not just helping keep me in the wrong position? I don't know...

titch
5th August 2008, 11:08 AM
The other thing which I know is tried sometimes is that when a correction has been achieved, to then tape the area with physio tape to try to hold it, but I don't know if this has fallen out of favour, and there may be very good reasons not to do it (I do know it's harder to do properly the *ahem* more padded you are), but it's another thing that could be worth asking her about.

carolad
5th August 2008, 11:25 AM
Now thats an interesting idea Titch - that does make sense. I probably don't help the situation because of my horse-riding. My physio tells me 'keep your legs together' :oops: as much as possible, so I don't suppose sitting astride a horse is really going to help! And I can't blame anyone but myself for that...

titch
5th August 2008, 11:58 AM
Oooh yes - ask her what she thinks of the idea of getting a sacral support for riding in that case, I know that sort of thing exists, but again I don't know if it might actually be detrimental instead of helpful.

RocketQueen
5th August 2008, 08:50 PM
Yes please ask her that, and let me know. I had a pro lite back support which I lost, I only used it a few times before I lost it so i can't say if it was any good or not. If anything I feel more balanced on a horse than I do on my feet at the mo. I now have left leg on the 6th hole and right leg on the 7th hole for stirrups and that worked great on Sunday.
I am thinking it is more to do with the angle that my ankle is in becuase of the leg descrepincy rather than directly the leg discrepency itself. Even when my stirrups are on the same hole on knee is higher than the other. x