PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper article

alison1407
20th June 2008, 08:30 AM
There was an article in the local Peterborough newspaper last night about a local girl who has scoliosis. The article was based around her being a keen dancer and the decision of having surgery and not being able to dance again. She seems to have had a 4 week intensive course at a scoliosis centre where they taylor a programme to you and somehow (although i am a bit sceptical about the results) it seems have stabilised her curve and she says in the article that she even feels taller!

Anyway...something ive never heard of before so i thought id share it with you see what your thoughts are:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/features/Spinal-setback-cant-stop-Lauren.4199713.jp

This is the link the scoliosis centre that offer the programmes. This may be of some help to some of you: www.scoliosissos.com (http://www.scoliosissos.com)

tonibunny
20th June 2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Alison,

Please take a look at Em-Louise's thread below, there are links to many discussions about this clinic.

One of our members, Canary, says that her son had a positive experience of the clinic. So far no actual SSOers have been to the clinic, though Caro is going in July.
You can read feedback from people who have been to the clinic at the Not Gillian McKeith blog (the link is in the thread below).

Toni xx

madmclw
23rd June 2008, 06:43 PM
I quote: "The doctors don't know why I have scoliosis, but say it is common in teenage girls, especially those who dance."

...is that true?

titch
23rd June 2008, 06:50 PM
I believe there is higher incidence among for example ballet dancers and gymnasts. However, both of these things typically require flexibility and a gracile build, both of which are common to people with scoliosis. I'm pretty sure that I have read that with regard to gymnastics, the incidence of curvature may be higher than the average, but the typical curve pattern is different. Not sure where I read it though, so it'll be murder to try to track down the source - I'll try though!

madmclw
23rd June 2008, 06:57 PM
Ok, I just wondered, because I'd never heard of the connection before. I also find it kinda strange, because surely the flexibility means greater chance of correction so...the dancing contributes [for lack of a better word] to the scoliosis, but also to the correction of? Weird...=P

titch
23rd June 2008, 06:59 PM
I don't think the dancing contributes to it, just that people who have the flexibility and body type are more likely to do (or at least to pursue) dancing as they're better suited to it, if you see what I mean.

mark
23rd June 2008, 09:08 PM
It maybe that its picked up more in people who dance because they are spotted due to some other injury that they recieve and its just that it is noticed because the majority of injuries these pick up are spine realted

Just a thought

mark

BeckyH
23rd June 2008, 11:37 PM
It maybe that its picked up more in people who dance because they are spotted due to some other injury that they recieve and its just that it is noticed because the majority of injuries these pick up are spine realted

Just a thought

mark

we've had this discussion before and i believe mark has a point, though my perception is slightly different. i think that it's picked up in dancers and gymnasts due to people actually seeing their bodies. my surgeon once pointed out that as a parent, you tend not to see your child's body much once you stop bathing and dressing them, and he believes this is why people flock to him in september when they've seen their kids on the beach or by the pool (wearing swimming gear) and noticed an abnormality.

that's a long-winded way of getting my point across.

someone once told me they were convinced that horse riders are more susceptible to scoliosis than other people and i just laughed.

crkcallie
30th June 2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the link to the article. It's really interesting. I have never read an article written up in my local newspaper about someone with scoliosis. Thanks again. :)