PDA

View Full Version : Pinched Nerves?

Amazed Jean
9th October 2004, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know if there is something that can be done about pinched nerves that isn't surgical ? You know I want the easy fix. Like when the nerves in my neck are screaming does heat or cold help? I realize I have a ton of nerves pinched but why does the pain move around? What am I doing wrong and what can I try?

sins
9th October 2004, 10:19 PM
I think the physician who discovers the quick fix for that will become a billionaire overnight and there will be statues of him/her in every university.
I try to get the muscles in the painful area to relax and I like healing therapies like Integrated energy therapy.I have a friend who does this for me when my neck acts up.Also I try ibuprofen gel which helps with the minor nips and pinches.Otherwise it's just a case of putting up with it.
Sins

lindzi_11
10th October 2004, 04:53 AM
My feet and hands fall alseep all the time! ANd like every morning i wake up with cramps in my calfs and thighs and foot only on my left leg.... and it hurts soooo much! i dunno if it has to do with scoliosis but i thought i might mention it.

BlueIce
10th October 2004, 01:11 PM
I'm no doctor, but I think it has indeed something to do with scoliosis. My doc asked me about that before my surgery, according to him it's a sign that some nerves are blocked (or something like that) which causes the sleeping feet/hands. But you're having surgery soon enough, so try not to worry about that too much

butterflylr
13th October 2004, 03:00 AM
My right hand especially goes numb. My pinky is almost always "fuzzy" feeling inside. It's been getting worse lately too. :-? Also, does anyone also experience any jaw problems? I have TMJ (grinding teeth at night). I have to wear a retainer thing at night to keep me from doing it. I think it might be related to scoliosis in some way cause I am always popping my jaw back into place. Anyone else have strange problems like that?

Marti
13th October 2004, 11:50 PM
I have a bite plate to wear at night... Last february my jaw started hurting and cracking, so I got a bite plate. But then it got so in the morning my jaw was locked shut and I sometimes couldn't open it at all... pretty freaky. So just a few weeks ago I got a new one. But this one makes my teeth hurt. So I'm alternating at the moment. I never thought about it being related to scoliosis though.

sins
14th October 2004, 12:19 AM
Yup........I have a retainer and grind my teeth :-D I had hoped that orthodontic treatment a few years ago would have helped but alas it didn't.I find it gets worse during times of stress.In my case i think it's more of a habit or possibly ill temper than a musculoskeletal disorder.
I find if my neck is tense or sore I get the fuzzy pinky problem but it's not something that bothers me.You will actually become immune to it over time and it might resolve itself given time and rest.
Sins

titch
14th October 2004, 11:18 AM
Since a little before my revision surgery, I've had a direct correlation between jaw pain (plus stiffness and cracking) and a certain kind of neck pain. It gets so I don't know which is causing it, and I asked them about it at QMC and they didn't know either, but said they'd investigate it if it continued and I wanted them to. At the time I was fed up with so much doctor stuff, so I said no. I do find that as long as I am careful about my neck, I don't get the jaw pain, so I think I've found out anyway which comes first for me.

Pikey
14th October 2004, 09:23 PM
My neck got so bad i used to lose the feeling from my shoulder all the way down my arm , an MRI showed my disc C5/C6 was pushing into my spinal cord . So i had a Op to put a new disc in my neck .Apparently when it gets real bad you get red hot pain shooting down your arm and zapping your fingers , i experienced that after my op when I decided to come of the drugs to early .I always found ice used to help and apparently traction should be offered to you before they consider operating but i was never offered that .Also a good physio can manipulate your spine which really helped me .Good luck with it .

tonibunny
14th October 2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by butterflylr@Oct 13 2004, 02:00 AM
My right hand especially goes numb. My pinky is almost always "fuzzy" feeling inside.
Lindsay, I get that too! My right hand goes numb, and I get pins and needles in the side of my hand, along the length of my little finger. This seems to happen mostly when I have been lying on my back for any amount of time.

lindzi_11
14th October 2004, 10:54 PM
My pinky finger has numb feeling every so often as well..... theres nothing really you can do to like fix this problem of pinched nerves right?.

Jonny
14th October 2004, 11:48 PM
My right thigh used to go warm before my surgery.
My right arm gets a tingle shoot down it if I play a very fast down-bow on the violin.
The inside of my left thigh is half-numb from damage to the nerve through my psoas muscle post-op.
The little-finger half of my left hand used to go numb regularly until Liv uncovered why - it had nothing to do with scoliosis. Thanks Liv :oops:

Nothing major, just a list of little curiosities :-) Toni, butterflylr and Lindsay, Liv told me that all the time I spent with my chin in my hand and my elbow on the desk was compressing my ulnar nerve, which sounds like the nerve you three are having problems with, albeit probably further up than me. As soon as I stopped sitting like that, the numbness went.
The ulnar nerve covers this area:
http://www.neuro.wustl.edu/neuromuscular/pics/ulnarpalm.jpghttp://www.neuro.wustl.edu/neuromuscular/pics/ulnardor.jpg

Not sure how relevant it is, but just before my anterior stage, my surgeon told me to be aware of the possibility of shoulder pain. The diaphragm and shoulder are supplied by the same sensory nerves, and my anterior fusion levels (T12-L3) are at diaphragm level, so they had to do stuff to mine, so apparently shoulder pain was likely. Nothing happened for about six weeks post-op, then I had a few days of nasty referred shoulder-and-diaphragm pain on breathing. Titch, I seem to remember you've had a similar pain in the past...?

titch
15th October 2004, 09:29 AM
I never linked it until you mentioned it, but yes - during recovery from the first surgery I went through a stage where breathing really quite hurt my left shoulder, sort of within, under the muscles. It was quite a different pain than if you strain your shoulder, or aggravate the muscle there. It went away quite quickly though.

Liv
15th October 2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Jonny@Oct 14 2004, 11:48 PM
Toni, butterflylr and Lindsay- Liv told me that all the time I spent with my chin in my hand and my elbow on the desk was compressing my ulnar nerve, which sounds like the nerve you three are having problems with, albeit probably further up than me. As soon as I stopped sitting like that, the numbness went.
I think Dr. Jonny may be right. :-D Great picture btw! :niceone:

jfkimberly
15th October 2004, 12:22 PM
On a similar note, I bumped my elbow on the corner of a deep freezer about ten years ago, and my arm instantly felt like it was on fire. It took a while for that feeling to go away, and now if I put any pressure on that elbow at all, the area indicated in Jonny's picture feels hot and tingly.

Jonny
15th October 2004, 04:51 PM
I think that's the nerve that's one's "funnybone" - mine was hit extremely hard in school last year and my arm was painful and felt heavy for days.

Pikey
15th October 2004, 05:13 PM
The "funny bone " nerve is the same nerve thats in C5 / C6 and goes down to your little finger , the harder you hit it the more of your hand will go hot and tingly .My Physio gave me some great exercises for when i had loss of feeling in you arm / hand and after my surgery a new Physio gave me some more neck stretching exercises that really helped .A bit too tricky to explain on the keyboard but try and get an appointment with a Physio near you and I'm sure they can help .