PDA

View Full Version : Neck strengthening exercises...

Little Ali
26th April 2008, 06:22 PM
Hi people,

I've just got back from the physio, who let out an audible sigh after playing with my neck :woe: She's told me to go away and do some exercises to strengthen the muscles that support the head. I did this by laying on my front (basically cos I can't get up from lying on my back on my own) and pulling my chin back, without lifiting my head. I'm not sure if that makes any sense. It was really hard.

Just wondering if anyone has any other exercises that can done to strengthen the neck muscles (not the trapz or sternocleidomastoid) And ones that don't involve you standing up (I know, I don't ask for much do I? :hammer: :P )

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thannks :D

GillyG
26th April 2008, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I have this one Pete gave me but I don't really know how to describe it ... I'll try, but bear with me on this ;-)

... Sitting up and looking into a mirror (just so you can see hoe stupid you look while doing it I think :glee: )

... left hand placed on front of throat (not sure why :P )

... right hand on forehead

... tuck chin in

... press forehead back and stretch out the cervical vertebrae - you should end up looking like a you have a scraggy chicken neck!!!

Sorry that's such a rubbish description, it's hard without being able to show you what I mean ...

titch
26th April 2008, 09:11 PM
I know you already know this, but I think that really what you need more than anything is to be able to sit up properly. Once you're not canted forward, your head will not have forward carriage, and it will press down onto your neck and shoulders as it should rather than being forward of them and pulling like heck on all the muscles that hold the head up, and you won't be hyperextending the joints at the base of the skull any more. I've got my fingers firmly crossed for the postural experts at Nuffield (or is it Radcliffe?) to be able to work something out for you! :squeeze: Also, while their work is typically with acute onset cases, it could be worth contacting people at Stoke Mandeville to see if there are any services there that you could be referred for if you don't feel that the help you get in Oxford is sufficient - they've got a website here: http://www.spinal.org.uk/, and I could get across to your town to go with you if you need a navigator - I used to live 5 mins walk from the hospital, so know exactly where it is :D

Little Ali
27th April 2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks Gilly! I think I got that I think the left hand on throatis probably so you can feel youself pushing down...or something. I shall give that one a go anyway.

I know you already know this, but I think that really what you need more than anything is to be able to sit up properly. Once you're not canted forward, your head will not have forward carriage,

Yeah...I know. It would help considerably if I spent less time on my laptop! :nut:

My assessment will be at the Nuffield. I'll let you know when I get the appointment and what happens. Thanks for the Stoke Mandiville website though :squeeze:

This was meant to quote Titch's post but I messed it up :hammer:
*hehehe* fixed by said titch ;-)

GillyG
27th April 2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Little Ali@Apr 26 2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks Gilly! I think I got that I think the left hand on throatis probably so you can feel youself pushing down...or something. I shall give that one a go anyway.

Yeah, plus also you can feel the tendons (or whatever they are :P ) tighten and 'come forward' - god, I'm crap at explaining this .... but you end up with a scraggy 'chicken-neck' look. Very fetching :P

Little Ali
27th April 2008, 11:13 PM
I haven't actually looked at myself in the mirror while doing it yet but I will before I go to bed :P

GillyG
27th April 2008, 11:23 PM
Well, if you fall out of your chair laughing, don't blame me - blame Pete!!! :glee:

abbysmith1983
29th April 2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by GillyG@Apr 26 2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I have this one Pete gave me but I don't really know how to describe it ... I'll try, but bear with me on this ;-)

... Sitting up and looking into a mirror (just so you can see hoe stupid you look while doing it I think :glee: )

... left hand placed on front of throat (not sure why :P )

... right hand on forehead

... tuck chin in

... press forehead back and stretch out the cervical vertebrae - you should end up looking like a you have a scraggy chicken neck!!!

Sorry that's such a rubbish description, it's hard without being able to show you what I mean ...
ooh, i do that one too. feel like a complete idiot doing it, but the physio said my neck rotation has increased by 10 degrees so i guess it's worth it.

after two yrs since diagnosis, and getting nowhere, seeing the physio and actually physically being able to do something besides take tablets is incredible.

i could marry her!!

Little Ali
29th April 2008, 05:35 PM
Yep...I aree! A good physio can make all the difference! :niceone:

Little Ali
29th April 2008, 05:39 PM
If you get it right, you will look funny, rather like a sergeant-major in an exaggerated military neck posture. If you do it in public people will either laugh or give you funny looks!

I found this on a exercises website. Made me chuckle