PDA

View Full Version : Polio and scoliosis

Sarah
30th September 2004, 06:41 PM
Are people who've had polio in the past more subseptible to scoliosis? I know people with cp are.

Very curious as I know someone who had polio when they were 2 and I swear they sit with their stomach more over shifted to one side. They just sit, ODD when looking at them from the front & had a limp yet can't really tell if there's a curve as I'm used to looking for something more obvious like mine.

Amazed Jean
30th September 2004, 08:11 PM
There have been hints off and on that I might have had polio when I was very young but there is no concensus opinion. We think I had the early polio vaccine shots with the rest of my siblings. However I do have one leg that is larger but weaker than the other leg so some have hinted that I still might have gotten polio and then gotten scoliosis. Sometimes I wonder if they will ever know which came first. Its the old egg and chicken thing I guess. Ain't it amazing? We can wonder all we want and some things are just not going to be answered.

sins
30th September 2004, 08:27 PM
You are correct Sarah, scoliosis has blighted the lives of many polio patients.With the muscular weakness scoliosis can easily occur and if the respiratory muscles are compromised it can cause even more serious effects.
Your comment interests me Jean about one leg being weaker than the other.My primary curve is to the left and I have a thinner and weaker left leg and same with my left arm and some slight facial asymmetry.
I think it's not unusual for scoliosis patients to have these characteristics.
Sins

Jonny
30th September 2004, 10:16 PM
My larger curve was to the left, despite me being left-handed, curiously, so sorry I don't fit in. Is there a possibility that limb asymmetry is somehow caused by pressure on nerve roots on the side of the larger curve? Could that affect leg growth and tone?

http://milwaukee.brace.nu/Polio.html information about bracing for polio. I think scoliosis was one of the many deformities polio patients were routinely braced for, thus making scoliosis contribute one brace to their battery all over their body, and possibly they would undergo scoliosis surgery later.

titch
30th September 2004, 11:50 PM
I believe the complexities of scoliosis were actually a good deal of the reason that Paul Harrington went on to design and perfect the Harrington rod - I'll have to look out some information on this and get back to you.

Blair
1st October 2004, 12:37 AM
A man I've met while attending rabbit and guinea pig shows had polio as a child... His arms are very much affected by it, appearing withered and twisted, and he also has pretty severe scoliosis...

jfkimberly
1st October 2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Jonny@Sep 30 2004, 04:16 PM
Is there a possibility that limb asymmetry is somehow caused by pressure on nerve roots on the side of the larger curve? Could that affect leg growth and tone?
My left arm is more developed (muscle tone) than my right, but I've attributed it to the fact that I have limited mobility in my right arm, so many things involving strength and reaching are done left-handed. While I'm right-handed for fine motor control (using scissors, writing, etc.), I'm left-handed for things like batting (baseball/softball) and I throw left-handed. Plus, anytime I reach for something overhead, I reach with my left arm because I can't raise my right arm above horizontal. Naturally, this promoted muscle development in my left arm... or, rather, restricted muscle development in my right arm.

tonibunny
1st October 2004, 10:45 AM
My left arm is incredibly weak, and my osteopath recently told me that the muscles in my left shoulder are unusually short. This hasn't caused a problem up until now......but with my first driving lesson, I found that I couldn't operate the handbrake fully (we have right hand drive here in the UK remember). I'm going to try to exercise to see if I can sort it out, but I am rather worried about it.

Liv
1st October 2004, 07:42 PM
My oldest uncle had polio as a child. His legs are still paralysed (he's in a wheelchair) and he has a huge scoliosis! The last polio epidemic in Belgium was in 1956...