PDA

View Full Version : surgery news

lindzi_11
29th September 2004, 11:07 PM
OKay just to keep everyone updated... i have only have to give 2 blood donations because my docter is only doing the top curve... which is 57 degrees. The bottom one is 31.. how come they only do one curve? Will I have to get another surgeory? =(

tonibunny
29th September 2004, 11:15 PM
Hi Lindzi :-)

They might leave your lower curve as there's a chance it won't progress. When I had my first surgery when I was ten, I only had my top curve fused....they left the lower one so that I could grow more, but they thought there was a chance it might not get any worse. Sadly, it did, and I had that one fused when I was 18.

Surgery is only usually indicated once a curve has reached 40 degrees or more......it sounds like they think it would be better to leave your 31 degree curve than to fuse it :D That's good news!

titch
30th September 2004, 12:01 AM
If the curve is flexible, by not fusing it, it'll leave you with a lot more motion in your back which is a good thing, and it's possible that once your main curve is straightened out that lower curve could even improve a little, and certainly it's not too likely to get any worse :-)

Jessica*
30th September 2004, 05:09 AM
Also, by correcting the top curve you may find that your lower curve may be minimised by a number of degrees. How much depends on how much work is being done on top and how flexible the curve is.

andrea
30th September 2004, 01:10 PM
Hi Lindzi

This sounds like good news to me. ALthough you may have to have the bottom one done if it progresses, there's a good chance you'll have the one surgery and that will be it (someone correct me if i'm wrong - adolescent scoli isn't my thing). Best of luck with it all.

A&E
x