PDA

View Full Version : Question

Jessica*
28th September 2004, 02:57 PM
I guess this question is more directed to Toni if anything (:P) but my Mum asked me if there was any difference between a thoracoplasty and costoplasty. I first said that those are different names referred to the same operation, but then I thought that maybe they do have their differences (hence the dif. names)

Are there any differences which define the two? Do they come under any other names?

(Thanks in advance to those knowledgable members)

Kaja
28th September 2004, 03:30 PM
Ummm. I guess it's kind of different. I might have a costoplasty. Uh. Different procedyre?

lucinda
28th September 2004, 03:40 PM
I've always wondered this .. yay Jess for asking the question! I get confused with the definitions, but from what I've read .. a thoracoplasty is where there is a remodelling/reshaping of the thorax; which can include disc removal but is essentially, the operation of removing the ribs .. and a costoplasty is where only part of the ribs are removed, not the entire thing? But then some articles have thoracoplasty and then costoplasty after it in brackets, saying they are the same thing .. :???:

sins
28th September 2004, 03:47 PM
Good question Jess*........I had always assumed they were the same, now I'm not so sure.When I saw my consultant a few weeks ago I asked him about a thoracoplasty and he replied...........a "costoplasty" which he described as a cosmetic procedure to reshape the chest wall.
Interesting..........hmmmmm.Anyone seeing their doc soon please ask!!!
That's an order....... :hammer:
Sins

Kaja
28th September 2004, 03:48 PM
They only do rib-stuff in a costoplasty! I know that :D Nothing to do with the spine.

tonibunny
28th September 2004, 03:49 PM
They are basically the same thing. The Greek-rooted suffix -plasty means "moulding or reconstructing surgically", whilst the Latin-based prefix costo- refers to the ribs and thoraco- refers to the thorax, or upper torso, in general.

You might also hear of the term "Thoracotomy", in which the suffix -tomy means "cutting" or "incision" - so this is an incision into the chest wall.

Then there's a "Costectomy"......from the above,you should be able to work it out for yourself :D

Jessica*
28th September 2004, 04:04 PM
Ooh, wow, I asked a good question. *feels special*
Thanks for the input - and so quick to reply too!

Everytime we (the Doc and I) spoke about it he refered to it as my next procedure and I kept saying thoracoplasty and he never corrected me. So I guess I was saying the right thing.

Whoever has their next appointment soon, it'll be good to ask the Docs and see how smart they are...:P

BlueIce
28th September 2004, 06:17 PM
I have my next appointment on friday so I'll ask him and see how much he truly knows about it. It seems that he's not so familiar with the worst cases, as he said he saw someone like me about every four years. He's not my real surgeon though, he referred me to the surgeon and assisted during my surgery. Because he lives in the same town I do, I was allowed to see him in stead of the surgeon (which is an hour drive)

Jonny
28th September 2004, 07:12 PM
I have a feeling that, in scoliosis-reshaping terms, they're the same thing, but thoracoplasty also refers to the procedure of removal of an entire section of the chest wall in order to collapse a diseased lung, which seems to be what Google thinks of when you say thoracoplasty.

Incidentally, my thoracotomy/costectomy had nothing to do with my thoracoplasty! :-D

lindzi_11
28th September 2004, 11:53 PM
I have a docters appointment october 4th.. then like every monday in october i have to get blood work done :woe: