PDA

View Full Version : Post op: did you get taller?

Dismantled
29th February 2008, 01:29 AM
I'm sorry if this topic already exists (I haven't found it) I was wondering if you get taller after surgery. I'm supposed to be 5'6-5'7 and I'm only 5'4. Even before I found out that I'm supposed to be taller, I really wanted to be. I feel like I'm in someone elses body =/

Blair
29th February 2008, 01:42 AM
Yep. Your spine is a set length, so taking curve out of it makes you taller....

Joy
29th February 2008, 05:17 AM
I grew two inches. Not everyone grows this much and some people grow more. It depends on how much correction you get and how long (how many vertabrae) your curve is.

mark
29th February 2008, 08:20 AM
Hi welcome to our slightly twisted wonky world

As said above you should gain some height.

:-D Great name by the way :-D

mark

Rachie
29th February 2008, 09:38 AM
My daughter (age 7) recently had a growth rod fitted which straightened her spine from 80+ degrees to 44 degrees and she grew 4.6cm!

Rachie x

Kentish
29th February 2008, 10:25 AM
I grew an inch to 6ft6 after my surgery but I've gone back down to 6ft5 now. I think its due to bad posture though so hoping to grow again now that I'm doing lots of strengthening exercises :-)

alyssa
29th February 2008, 11:09 AM
My op was actually gonna make me smaller than I was but in the end it didn't.

Emily-Evanopsi
29th February 2008, 12:03 PM
I gained 7 cm :D

SPI
29th February 2008, 02:40 PM
I gained an inch or slightly more. I'm now 5'8". A girl in the next bed to me at hosptial also grew an inch to 5'3".

Kaja
29th February 2008, 02:59 PM
i gained 5 cms after my first surgery, and like 3 cms after my second :) i lost a few cms between those surgeries though, so i've probably only gained 5cms all together. i wish i was taller! i'm from such a tall family ^^ i have no idea how tall i am, but i'm guessing 168 cms.

Round The Twist
29th February 2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Kentish@Feb 29 2008, 10:25 AM
I grew an inch to 6ft6 after my surgery but I've gone back down to 6ft5 now. I think its due to bad posture though so hoping to grow again now that I'm doing lots of strengthening exercises :-)
Crikey, that is quite tall Gareth, you don't look that tall in your pics :oops: I went out with a guy who was 6ft 3 once and thought he was tall (I'm 5'4 lol) and one of my Bro-in-law drinking mates was 6'6, we used to look funny standing at the bar together when buying our rounds LOL

madmclw
29th February 2008, 05:15 PM
Hey :-)

I grew 3 inches after my surgery in november last year. My curve was >90, and is now not worth measuring.

Dismantled
29th February 2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Kaja@Feb 29 2008, 02:59 PM
i gained 5 cms after my first surgery, and like 3 cms after my second :) i lost a few cms between those surgeries though, so i've probably only gained 5cms all together. i wish i was taller! i'm from such a tall family ^^ i have no idea how tall i am, but i'm guessing 168 cms.
Why did you have two surgeries? if you don't mind me asking

Dismantled
29th February 2008, 06:03 PM
I'm glad that most get taller after the op. Did you feel weird that you were suddenly taller? Or is it not that noticeble?

madmclw
29th February 2008, 07:14 PM
yes XD It's mostly a change in posture thing, but also when I stood next to my mum, that was really weird too :-P

Thaleias spirit
29th February 2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Dismantled@Feb 29 2008, 07:03 PM
I'm glad that most get taller after the op. Did you feel weird that you were suddenly taller? Or is it not that noticeble?
I gained almost 5 inches of height (4.7inches / 12 cms) in total. I was 4 foot 3 and went to 4'8. My curve was reduced from 155 degrees to approx 86 degrees. For me the height gain was very noticeable, I found it very strange (still do) and even standing beside people I used think were very tall all ofa sudden didn't feel that much taller. Whilst the length of skirts/trousers weren't affected (gain was all in thoracic area) I found shirts/tshhirts/jumpers etc fitted perfectly when before they had always been very long. Actually I find thing short now, I'm still mentally adjusting to how different clothes fit now.

jfkimberly
29th February 2008, 10:06 PM
Whoa, Chele! That's an incredible height gain! *envy* I wish my height was reduced due to curve, and not due to early fusion. I think my fused curve isn't even that severe, so breaking it down for a revision wouldn't buy me much height.

Dismantled
29th February 2008, 10:06 PM
Wow 5 inches! If I'd gain that many I'd be 5'9 and tall enough to model, which was my childhood dream, but God had alternative plans

God: You're going to be 5'4 with scoliosis
Me: O_O

GillyG
1st March 2008, 12:03 AM
I gained about 1.5 inches! I had dropped from 5'2" to 4'11", and now I'm back to just under 5'1" :D

Kaja
1st March 2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Dismantled@Feb 29 2008, 08:01 PM
Why did you have two surgeries? if you don't mind me asking
Because my surgeon only fused my severe thoracolumbar curve first, in hopes that the mild thoracic curve wouldn't worsen. But it did, and I needed a second fusion to fuse that curve too :) Actually I'll be having a third surgery, because this fusion failed to stabilize my spine (makes a few screws pull out etc). I just have bad luck :P

Liv
1st March 2008, 12:42 PM
I probably gained about 4 cm (1.5 inches) with the surgery. I was exactly as tall as my mother just before the surgery and it was so weird being taller suddenly. I also managed to grow a bit after the surgery too! I'm now 177.5 cm (5' 10). :-D