PDA

View Full Version : kyphosis chest pain?

guybrush
28th February 2008, 01:26 PM
i have 80 deg kyphosis and recently got a different car...

took me ages to find one that did not give me back ache too much, but this one appears to be causing some chest pain discomfort.

my chest is very tight and painful right down the centre. it feels like someone is standing on my chest all the time, i can take a full breath and its ok, but if i breath out its quite painful. i think it mught be caused becuase i am not so hunched over in this new car and my shoulders tend to push back stretching the muscles across the top of my chest. its been like it over a week now.

any ideas?
G

jfkimberly
28th February 2008, 03:02 PM
Oh, that's disappointing. When I got my new car, my neck stiffness from my old car's seat went away, and I've been so comfortable since. I know exactly how you feel taking pain into consideration.

If it's just a muscle pain, maybe it's like you said... the changed position is stretching them. Give it another week or so and see if it gets better. You might just need to get used to being stretched. Other than that... hrm. Anything else new in your routine?

tonibunny
28th February 2008, 03:43 PM
Hiya,

Are you getting pain just when you sit in the car (and immediately afterwards), or do you get it at other times too? If it's the latter, I'd suggest going to your GP just to get checked out. Can't be too careful where chests are concerned :-)

Toni

Amazed Jean
28th February 2008, 04:55 PM
With that size kyphosis and chest pain I would think its time for a doctor to have a look and listen to your lungs. Keep checking that vital capacity and when they figure it out be sure to tell them to use your arm span instead of your height to get a true reading. I stupidly let them do it by height too many times and flet safe at 25 -30% and then someone did it right and the O2 got slapped on me the same day! Lungs are important things to protect.

mark
4th March 2008, 09:22 AM
Got to agree with everything said above. I think its time you went to see a Dr. I don't think its anything to do with the car

I hope you can find a solution to your pain

take care

mark

titch
4th March 2008, 03:43 PM
I agree with Mark that you need to get yourself checked over. I'm wondering though, if it's possible you have costochondritis, as the area is right, and it can be an extremely painful condition.

My husband actually developed it as a result of carrying a 32" telly up a flight of stairs! Took several months to settle down because he wouldn't go to the doctor :rant: The inflammation was so pronounced that he could feel the worst area as almost a lump inside, so I think that's why he avoided the doctor, but a couple of weeks of diclofenac sorted it out a treat :-)

Anyway, whether it's costochondritis or something else, hope you get some relief nice and soon!

guybrush
13th March 2008, 02:19 PM
hi all, right 'm off to the docs next week to see what he says.

my chest pain has mostly gone, but instead i have a tightness across my throat / windpipe instead - its not painful but very uncomfortable. If i drew a line betweeen my shoulders its about that height on my windpipe.

i'm sure its the new seating position in the car combined with the bumpyness of a new car. i went in a friends car the other day and the simptoms were much less.

its like my shoulders are less hunched forwards and their new 'further back' position is now pulling a muscle tight across the front of my neck.

i have tried all manner of cushions and things to adjust my seating position to no avail.

G

GillyG
13th March 2008, 02:21 PM
Good luck, hope you get some answers :-)

titch
13th March 2008, 07:00 PM
Do you have any ability to adjust the height of the steering wheel? While I don't drive, when we did a massive testing of cars to see which ones I can actually fit into and thus could theoretically drive, we found that getting one which had adjustable wheel height was essential - I need to have it very low down in order to avoid having either shoulder pain (across the backs of my shoulders) or front of chest pain. I think it's because my body is so short compared to my arm length, that to have it any higher means I'm sort of raising my arms abnormally, if you see what I mean.

Hope the doc has something useful to say or suggest!

Amazed Jean
13th March 2008, 07:06 PM
Hey, Maybe you can get a prescription for a new car?? Go big and fancy! Seriously I hope you can get some releif!

jfkimberly
17th March 2008, 04:48 AM
Ahh, I love my car! The steering will doesn't just "tilt" (raise and lower), it also telescopes in and out, so I can pull it closer to me or push it away from me toward the dash. I remember on my test drive, I asked the dealer who rode along if it had a 'tilt wheel', and he flipped the release lever and showed me how much movement there was, and I was in heaven! Plus, the seat has a hydraulic lift to it (via a manual pump lever on the side), as well as slides forward and back and the seatback will go from straight upright all the way to reclining almost 180-degrees flat (not that you could drive that way!). Total comfort options! And it goes 35mpg (14.88 kpl). And it's pretty. *swoon* Worth every penny.

Sarah
25th March 2008, 05:18 PM
I had that kind of pain when I was 1st learning to drive. It got so annoying I gave up learning for a while but I think mine was due to the car, my whole seating position and everything. My new car has the steering wheel that moves up and down and height adjustments on the seat which have come in v.handy and am usually now only stiff if I've been driving to long now.

Have you tried test driving other cars?