PDA

View Full Version : SPINECOR BRACE

janpaulkja
28th February 2008, 01:14 PM
hi everyone
Is anyone already wearing one? If so what is it like? Looked at the video on youtube recommended to kiri and it looks great.
thanks
Jan

tonibunny
28th February 2008, 01:21 PM
Hey Jan,

Have a search through the Non-Surgical forum - Rugbylaura's daughter Immy has a Spinecor, as do Gerbo's daughter Laura and Sealy's daughter Deirdre. I think it looks great as well, really comfy and wearable :-)

Toni xx

janpaulkja
28th February 2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks Toni thats brill, it does look good doesnt it, perhaps i should put the same message in non-surgical room!?
thanks again
love Jan

tonibunny
28th February 2008, 01:34 PM
I'll move this thread there for you to save you the trouble :D

Sealy
28th February 2008, 02:30 PM
Hi Jan,

Deirdre has been wearing the Spinecor brace for 2 1/2 years and she's 7 years old. She *LOVES* it! It's like wearing an undershirt for her and totally *not there* No one suspects she wears a brace.

RugbyLaura
28th February 2008, 02:33 PM
Hi Jan,

Immy has been wearing hers for nearly 9 months. I wouldn't say she loves it (!) but it is certainly a LOT better than the alternatives in many ways.

I don't know much about your situation but am more than happy to answer any questions.

Laura

janpaulkja
28th February 2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks Sealy and Laura
My daughter Kiri, who also comes on here, wears a brace at the moment I think its a boston brace (hard plastic) she really doesnt like it and is now looking into the Spinecor brace. Her curve is 46 degrees.
Are you both from the UK because I think its quite new here but is more used in the US?!
Did your children have to be fitted for it?
Has it improved their curves at all?
Do you think it is possible for her to wear the Spinecor brace at school (as thats where she is very conscious of it) and the boston brace at night?
Sorry for all the questions. We go to the RNOH Stanmore for treatment and they have never mentioned that brace as an option.
Gilly G mentioned they do them in the Sheffield Orthopaedic Hospital so we may have to go there.
I rang the hospital this morning and left a message about this but still waiting to hear.
Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you.

Love Jan

Sealy
28th February 2008, 05:32 PM
I should qualify the "LOVE" part! :P Deirdre doesn't love her brace as much as ice-cream but DEFINITELY more than the casts and the Milwaukee that is collecting dust in her closet and is about 2 1/2 years too small for her :-D

Jan,

I know they prescribe the Spinecor for curves up to 50 degrees but it were me I wouldn't go with it. I personally haven't seen good results with curves over 40 degrees. There is a new Cheneau Light brace which is very comfy looking. Here is a link:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...i?artid=1805423 (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1805423)

madmclw
28th February 2008, 06:02 PM
Wow, they actually look really cool ^^

Emily-Evanopsi
28th February 2008, 06:25 PM
kind of strange, too. Would it be strong enough to support the spine? (I don't need one, just curious)

Sealy
28th February 2008, 06:30 PM
From what I can tell and this is based purely on support group chats, juvenile curves are getting the best results with the Spinecor and this is for children who have not started the adolescent growth spurt.

Emily-Evanopsi
28th February 2008, 06:53 PM
aah ok

pink_candy_swirl
29th February 2008, 08:37 PM
I know a girl form the US (who I've tried make join here but won't) and she is 13 and wears spinecor.
In her case it purley works by supporting the muscles surrounding her spine. She has loads of exercises etc to do and the brace helps support the muscles while the exercise builds them up. She has 3 curves the worst about 37? They are slowly going down, since she started.
She gets a spinecor book and an inflatable ball and stretchy body band. But, agin she's from the US.
I've seen videos etc from her and her online friend.
Hope this helps. :D