PDA

View Full Version : bracing

Marti
28th February 2008, 07:08 AM
I wore a brace at night for about two years prior to my surgery. Post-op I wore it 24 hours a day for about 2 months, then about 12 hours a day for the next few months. About 6 months post-op I was so sick of it that I called it quits (i *think* my doctor supported me, since it was really bothering my hip, where I had bursitis). Anyhow, that was all years ago. I haven't seen either of my braces since that day in January over 4 years ago. Yet sometimes I still have dreams I'm wearing the brace. They nearly all go the same way. I'm wearing the brace, doing fine, not uncomfortable or anything. And then suddenly I need to go somewhere, or someone comes in, and I still have the brace on. And that's super embarrassing. In the dream anyhow.

I just think it's bizarre that it's been longer since I've even seen a brace than the time I wore one lasted, yet I'm still having dreams. It's also funny that they revolve around my sensitivity to other people knowing, because while that bothered me a lot at the time, i don't think it would now at all; I feel way over that.

Anyone else still have dreams about braces?

jfkimberly
28th February 2008, 02:11 PM
I never wore a brace when I was old enough to remember it. All my treatment (other than regular monitoring) was concluded by the time I was 2-1/2 years old. Very interesting, though, Marti.

tonibunny
28th February 2008, 02:30 PM
Bless you Marti, it just sounds like some old memories are being stirred up for some reason - maybe there's something going on in your life at the moment which is causing you to have similar feelings to those you had about your brace, and that's brought it back into your subconscious. I don't really know though, cos I'm not a psychologist or anything :-)

I think it's pretty normal for things like this to come back every now and then - wearing a brace was a big, unusual part of your life for a while! It is really interesting.

Marti
29th February 2008, 05:37 AM
yeah, the dreams aren't bothersome or anything, I just find it odd that still, four years later, I have dreams that involve the brace nearly once a month.

Dismantled
2nd March 2008, 06:38 AM
Yes after I stopped wearing the brace, I had dreams about wearing it, also in front of other people. I actually threw it out like a week ago since I haven't worn it for a year, or maybe even more. Did you wear the same brace after surgery?

Rachie
3rd March 2008, 10:24 AM
You think that's weird...I still have dreams that I'm about to take my A levels and I haven't done enough revision...I'm 38 for goodness sake!

Rachie x

littlelou1975
23rd May 2008, 10:55 PM
Marti, about your dreams I can totally relate. Not so much about my brace..I was a bit naughty and never wore it much at night. But until just a few years ago I used to dream that I still had my body plaster cast on (when I was 6 I had one on for 9mths after my surgery!! then one for 4 mths when I was 13). I used to wake up in the middle of the night and pat down my body to check..even almost 20 yrs later!! Weird