PDA

View Full Version : MORPHINE

Simon
18th February 2008, 09:27 PM
hI GUYS AM GOING IN FOR SURGERY IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS AND A CONCERN OF MINE IS MORPHINE

i HAVE HAD A FEW OPERATIONS IN A THE PAST FEW YEARS

SCAPHOID FRACTURE WITH ILLIAC BONE GRAFT
LAMPOROTOMY BOWEL RESECTION
APPENDIX
KIDNEY STONES
ARTHOSCOPY OF MY ELBOW

MY PROBLEM HAS BEEN WITH THE MORPHINE I HAVE HAD ITS DOES THE TOTAL OPPOSITE EFFECT ON ME IT KEEPS ME AWAKE NOT MAKES ME DROWSY MAKES ME ITCH LIKE MAD I KNOW THATS COMMON AND I COME OUT IN A RASH .......

SO THE QUESTION IS DO I TRY IT AGAIN AS AM THINKING THAT IF I HAVE IT AFTER MY SURGERY I DONT REALLY WANT TO START ITCHING AND BEING KEPT AWAKE

IS THERE ANY ALTERNATIVES THAT ARE AVALIBLE ?

CAN YOU HAVE PETHIDINE ON THE PCA ?

GillyG
18th February 2008, 10:01 PM
There are definitely alternatives to morphine Simon, so don't worry. Just make sure it gets written in your notes that you react badly to it and make sure you keep a watchful eye that they don't give you any! I say that because, despite it being clearly stated in my notes that I'm allergic to feathers, I ended up being given a feather pillow at some point and I came out in a hot, red, itchy rash all down my back - not a brilliant idea whan you've just had back surgery :P Dunno whether they can give pethidine through a PCA. Titch might know though...

Round The Twist
18th February 2008, 11:09 PM
I dunno about Pethadine but after a bad reaction to Morphine in my last surgery they gave me something called Fentanyl through my PCA which was greeeaaaat LOL

Bohungus
19th February 2008, 02:14 PM
If you don't mind me asking, What are you going into surgery for?

How did you fracture your scaphoid? Bad fall?

Simon
19th February 2008, 03:23 PM
Am having a posturer spinal fusion with instrumentation as i have a 92 degree kyphosis

I fractured my scaphoid doing taewhondo

I have had 5 operations on my wrist due to my scaphoid not healing as with a scaphoid fracture they is very little blood supply to the scaphoid bone so i had k wires and herbert screw with bone fusion.

alyssa
19th February 2008, 04:21 PM
Boy oh boy you've been through the mill... and yessum there are alternatives to morphine. My main problem on morphine was the sickness... so with my recent surgery they gave me two lots of anti sickness with it. hehe it was allll good. mmmm *dreams*

titch
20th February 2008, 12:31 AM
Good grief! I didn't know there was surgery to fix a broken scaphoid - my brother broke his some years ago and just had to put up with it until it eventually healed, which they helpfully told him might never happen and tough if it didn't :-? (then again, does it surprise anyone who knows my history that this was the same hospital that did my original surgery??)

There are definitely other things that you can be given, and if they do want to start you off on morphine, they can give you antihistamines at the same time to reduce the itch. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the itch typically goes after a few days anyway as your body acclimatises to it, but I know from having the itchies after my revision surgery that it can be very unpleasant.

Fenatnyl is a likely alternative - personally I'd rather have morphine as I just gently hallucinate on that and get very sleepy, fenatanyl really whacks me out. Worked pretty darn well for the pain though!

Simon
20th February 2008, 12:46 AM
Yea they put me in a cast for 8 mths and it still didnt heal so had first surgery to put k wires in then back in plaster for another 6 mth that did not work as got a really bad infection in it and 1 of the k wires decided to go for a walk inside my arm so had to have another surgery to fish it out then had a bone graft with herbet screw fixation.

I will talk to the anesthetists about the morphine already talked a little about it at my pre op but dont think he was to bothered.

The main thing with it is it keeps me wide awake dont ask me why but does

I have had cyclizine a few times in hospital as i always have had sickness after all my surgery's and at first that really made me sleep but i had it again after my bowel resection and that kept me awake so not sure if the morphine and cyclizine can have the effect of keeping you awake (must react differently in my brain than some people )

So i really dont want to be awake all the time after my surgery