PDA

View Full Version : ribs...

Marti
24th September 2004, 03:32 AM
This is more a vent than anything else. I rarely have any pain. If I don't sleep well, I'll wake up with a really stiff back and my back hurts a bit after standing for a few hours. But just lying down always helps everything. I'm not having any real pain right now, but it's odd because it came out of nowhere. My backpack was really heavy today and my back was hurting a tiny bit because of it. But for most of the day, the spot where my missing rib is has been bothering me. It really hurts when I breathe. I'm sure I just did something to the muscle, but right now it's really bothering me.

jfkimberly
24th September 2004, 03:46 AM
That is so odd... I came upstairs to get on here to make an almost identical post. Well, very similar. I almost never have pain, but all afternoon, I've felt just like I did in 1994 when my ribs were pushing against each other. That time, after a few months of this increasing pain, it finally slipped (which sent me to ER by ambulance, it hurt so bad)... Now I'm feeling that pressure again. Plus my right arm (same side) is kind of warm/tingly. *frowns*

I'm sorry you're feeling bad, Marti. I hope it is just muscle pain and you get relief soon. Have you tried a heat bag, or warm bath? Do you think that would help? Hmm. Maybe I should try it. But I can tell mine is skeletal, so I doubt it would help. I really just don't want to move.

Joy
25th September 2004, 02:59 AM
Awww Kim and Marti.

Marti, I have pain like that a lot!! Esp. when the weather changes. I've found that trying to breathe deeply, even though it hurts at first, really helps!

I hope you two feel better soon!

Marti
25th September 2004, 06:18 AM
my rib still really hurts, but i'm thinking that just sleeping tonight will help.

jfkimberly
25th September 2004, 09:02 AM
I've decided to start logging when I feel bad, so when I go see my surgeon (did I tell you I have an appointment with a surgeon?... more on that in another thread) I'll be able to make a case for surgery. I have always claimed I don't have pain when people ask if my scoliosis hurts, but I've been thinking about it a lot more lately (in my quest for surgery), and I've started to realize that I do have aches... nothing as severe as what some of you guys describe, of course, but discomfort all the same. I just forget about it when it isn't happening.

My rib ache is still there today, though not as bad as it was yesterday. I've noticed changes in my seated posture lately, too. Like, I twist to the left (same direction as the vertebral rotation) in my chair, and I kind of 'lean' that way, too. If I don't have an arm rest on that side, I'm really uncomfortable. My achey feeling is in my 'shoulderblade' (rib hump?) on the left side, and in the front of my lower ribcage on the right side.

Pikey
27th September 2004, 07:50 PM
The weather will always cause problems but so again will stress , it doesnt take much to get your spine to swell and put pressure on a disc that then means a pressure on a nerve that will send pain into your back and even into your chest .Also tingling or loss off feeling or a hot sensation in the fingers , thats normally caused by pressure on C5/C6 in the neck area .Personally i always found ice a good cure to take the swelling out , others have differant measures .I hope you find yours

jfkimberly
28th September 2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks, Pikey. It's infrequent enough that I haven't had time to notice any patterns or experiment with nonpharmacological treatments... and so far I've only been in enough pain to warrant medication for it a handful of times. But I have difficulty swallowing pills, so that's a bit of a deterrent.

Jessica*
28th September 2004, 02:12 PM
I find that although I may have an alright sleep, it's absolutely crucial how well you sleep also. How do you rate yourself at night?
I find that my mattress is quite hard, sometimes sleeping above the covers is better than below because of the padding and not being able to feel the wiring. Maybe you could get a lambs-wool insert under your sheets because I've found that it's a great help when it comes to pressure points. Maybe the past few nights your body just hasn't been turning itself overnight to prevent bedsores or something.

I don't know. Pikey has some good suggestions - Mr Knowledge!

Marti
29th September 2004, 01:47 AM
well, for some reason my back is still bothering me. I'm sure it's just the weather, as the summer is finally ending. It's not bad enough to really bother me, so I'll just basically forget about it for a while. But if it still hurts in a few weeks, I'll probably do something. I think I probably am just super tired and that's what's bothering my back, because most of the time it feels like it normally only feels after a few hours of standing.

jfkimberly
29th September 2004, 07:54 AM
Marti, is there some way you can arrange it so you don't have to carry anything heavy (e.g., textbooks) for a while, to see if that eases it?

I don't think there's any connection between my pain and the way I sleep. If there was, I'd be in trouble, because I can only sleep on my back!

But, I've got a really comfortable bed. It's a futon on a slatted wooden frame with two "egg-crate" foam cushions on top to act as a featherbed-type padding. It's firm and soft at the same time, and there are no spring-induced pressure points. Because of the pronounced lordosis I have some hollowing under my back when I lay down. I sleep with a pillow in that void to provide extra support.

I still can't believe Dr. Saer wouldn't do anything about this!