PDA

View Full Version : Exercises for Scoliosis

Sealy
17th February 2008, 09:32 AM
I got an e-mail from Dr. Karski! :-) He gave me the go ahead to translate the following article.

1: Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2005 Feb 28;7(1):28-35.

New conservative treatment of idiopathic scoliosis: effectiveness of therapy.

Karski T, Madej J, Rehák L, Kokavec M, Karski J, Latalski M, Kałakucki J.

Background. This article provides basic information concerning a new conservative treatment for idiopathic scoliosis, with appropriate asymmetric flexion-rotation exercises and special redressing positions. Material and method. The analysis was based on 288 children with scoliosis and a control group of 268 children. The authors describe the most important exercises and provide a statistical analysis of treatment outcome in children with idiopathic scoliosis. Results and Conclusions. Early detection of the risk of scoliosis and correct therapy through new conservative treatment based on exercises make it possible not only to limit the progression of spinal deformity (61%), but also, in some cases of incipient scoliosis, to reduce the curvature (32%).
PMID: 17675953 [PubMed - in process]

He also has a website and I found the following section interesting! According to his research, the type of exercises done in Karate class are best for scoliosis. One has to scroll through a few pages to see the pictures, but you get the idea.

http://www.karski.lublin.pl/p/category.php...&o=d&u=all&of=0 (http://www.karski.lublin.pl/p/category.php?id=28&o=d&u=all&of=0)

caro
17th February 2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks for translating & posting all that Sealy. The photos of the exercises were interesting and there certainly were a couple where I can really see it would give the stretch I'm dying for. Am going to go and stretch now!! :-)

Sealy
26th February 2008, 03:10 PM
This morning I got an e-mail from Gerbo and he sent me a gem of an article and I can barely contain my excitement! I'll upload it in a few minutes to the "DOWNLOADS" section. The article is entitled: THE NEW REHABILITATION TREATMENT OF SO-CALLED IDIOPATHIC SCOLIOSIS. by T. KARSKI, *F. MAKAI, *L. REHAK, J. KARSKI, J. MADEJ, J. KAŁAKUCKI

It describes in detail, the exercises for scoliosis according to dr. Karksi. Keep in mind that dr. Karski is not only an M.D. but also a PHD and this is his life's work and without a doubt, incredible contribution to a better understanding of this disorder we call "Idiopathic Scoliosis"

tonibunny
26th February 2008, 03:46 PM
Don't mean to hijack your thread Sealy, but I've just been trying out Elise Browning-Miller's "Yoga for Scoliosis" DVD (which is available in the UK from Ebay) and it looks like it could be very useful to anyone who who wants to try exercises for scoliosis, whether they have been fused or not. The exercises feel really good to do, and the DVD also teaches you breathing exercises to help inflate the lung on the concave side of the curve, which also feel great :-) I know that a lot of non-surgical clinics teach rotational breathing and I'm sure that it can't be much different to this.

The only thing that I am finding difficult with the DVD is that the four examples of scoliosis they use are all combinations of right thoracic/left lumbar, so I have to be careful to do the exercises the opposite way.

Kaja
26th February 2008, 04:36 PM
ah, i want that dvd :) i bet the shipping to norway is expensive though..

Amazed Jean
27th February 2008, 12:08 AM
What would we ever learn without Sealy? Thanks for the posting!

gerbo
27th February 2008, 10:12 AM
although credited as having "discovered" the article, I haven't studied it yet, to see whether at least it would make sense to try. Another set of exercises obviously leaves me/us with the dilemma; what the hell do you try from all the options out there. Schroth is under consideration, but the commitment in time/energy needed seems nearly prohibitive, and evidence is flimsy however much is is being promoted by some. We're still doing torsorotation, after a lapse of a few months, but again; evidence is sparse and thin; at least time commitment required is much less. Is Karski potentially a useful/logical addition??, or is he just a mad professor from Poland? (to put it bluntly); not sure yet!!!

Sealy
27th February 2008, 11:08 AM
I've corresponded with dr. Karski a few times and he seems genuine. Whether or not there is any basis for his theory as to the "cause" of scoliosis, we're in no position to say but the fact remains that this problem of contracture of the hip was identified by another doctor in the article "Regression of Juvenile Scoliosis" I'll paste the abstract below. I think it's more than a mere coincidence. Apparently dr. Karski's method is being used throughout Poland.

1: Exp Mol Pathol. 2003 Jun;74(3):326-35. Links

Regression of juvenile idiopathic scoliosis.Stehbens WE, Cooper RL.
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Wellington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Wellington, New Zealand. wstehbens@wnmeds.ac.nz

For a young scoliotic boy the customary "wait and watch" management program for rapidly progressive juvenile idiopathic scoliosis was considered unsatisfactory in view of the poor prognosis. The management program devised was based on the congenital postural induction concept of scoliosis with progression accruing from mechanically induced bioengineering fatigue, cumulative molecular scissions, laxity of ligaments, and secondary bone deformation. A coexisting pelvic tilt with restricted movement of the hip and shoulder joints was overlooked initially. Possibly induced simultaneously with the scoliosis, it is considered a contributory factor in scoliosis progression and requires early diagnosis and correction. The rapid improvement in this child's spinal status achieved by physiological traction and specifically designed exercises was such that as a preventive measure the technique warrants further clinical assessment on young scoliotics.

titch
27th February 2008, 05:26 PM
I seem to recall reading something to do with thoracolumbar and lower curves showing a link with hip contracture, and I'm pretty suer that was Polish. As a random thing, I do remember as a young child if I sat in certain (quite innocuous) ways, my right hip would lock and I'd have a heck of a job to get it to let go - as an adult I'm pretty sure it was partial dislocation now that I think back on the behaviour. I also had markedly less range of motion in my right hip, and this is going back to infant school and earlier. The earliest I remember my hip going out I'd have been maybe 4 or so - I only know that because I remember we'd not been living long in the house where it happened.

Amazed Jean
27th February 2008, 08:17 PM
I've sent the references on to Chiropracter DR. Harmony White and she sent a thank you for sharing. Maybe someday Chiro and Surgeons and Lung people and physical therapy people and neuro people will all get together and actually work together to help more people. OK so maybe I should stop leaving reality but it would be nice if they all talked once in awhile or do medical professionals not play well with others? They are interesting articles and a lot of what is said in them rings pretty true to me.

Sealy
28th February 2008, 02:34 PM
This is all so fascinating! I briefly read the article and there was a lot of talk about "right hip" contracture. Does this mean the thoracic curve is going to the right? If the thoracic curve goes the other way would the contracture of the hip be on the left? Also, how do doctors determine if there is a contracture of the hip? Is it readily seen? Are special tests required? Does anyone know?