PDA

View Full Version : Appointment tomorrow

Kaja
23rd September 2004, 02:54 PM
Soo! Iím leaving in a few hours for Oslo, thatís where my doctor lives. Itís really a shame that he lives on the other side of the country. 2 hours with plane! Anyways. Itís my 1 year appointment, and I guess I have to fill you in before I go on about the surgery stuff.

I had anterior surgery a year ago, and he fused my two bottom curves successfully. He didnít do the top curve though, as it was only 35į and wouldnít progress. He also wanted me to still be able to bend, since Iím so young :P I didnít have a hump caused by the top curve before my op, but I do now. Thatís because when my spine moved, and got straighter, the curve moved too, even though it didnít get bigger. Do you understand? (the hump I had pre op is gone though)

So I have a nice hump on my right side now, on shoulder height. The thing is, it really bugs me! I look like I have a really poor posture from that side, because my shoulder blade sticks out, and my shoulder points forward. Itís weird, and not being able to really stand up isnít very good. When Iím exhausted, it looks even worse. It aches a lot, and when Iím not thinking about it, it sticks out. The wrong way! Ah. My posture is okay, but it looks extremely bad from that side. That shoulder is so messed up..

Also, that shoulder is a bit higher up than the other, and my neck is looking worse. Thereís a lot of rotation, so the hump is actually kind of big :-o

Well, I might have another surgery now. God I hate this. My doctor will probably say; ďThe curve wonít progress, itís up to you whether you want surgery or not.Ē I know heíll say that. I donít want surgery! Aaah. The thought of having to go through all that crap again.. This sucks so much. But I do want surgery also, because that would be the best thing to do. Iím so young, and I really donít want to stay like this forever! So Iíd say thereís a 60/40 chance Iíll do it. Something huge has to happen, to make me change my mind. Yes. Iíve been thinking about it for months now, and.. But Iím so tornÖ :cry:

One good thing though! The procedure will be the endoscopic one Ė smaller scars, less fusion, good results and less stress on the muscles. Yes! So my recovery will be quicker, luckily. :-)

Buuut! This couldnít have happened at a worse time. Iím in the 10th grade, and canít really afford to miss too much school! Iíll have two huge exams in May, and they decide which school I can go to. My grades really matter now. Missing parts of my first year at a new school is no good either!! Argh. So Iím hoping heíll do it in some vacation. Though that would reeeally suck too.. Itís not like he can do it straight away either, he has to go to America to learn how to operate like that first.. Tsk.

Long post, sorry. Itís a pretty important appointment, wish me luck! Though Iíll be sad whatever happens. I just don't know.

Why did I end up with this? :cry:

ivanleg
23rd September 2004, 03:43 PM
Don't do it!!! You'll never have curves like mine if you keep getting operated on.

But seriously, you poor lassie. I didn't know about all this, it must have been playing on your mind for a long time.
Try not to think too much about what the doctor might say because you might work yourself into a frenzy. Maybe write down the questions you want to ask and leave it at that.

Sorry to hear about your grief with the shoulder hump thingie. I wish you the best of luck with the appointment.

ivypoo :monkey:

Blair
23rd September 2004, 04:05 PM
Aw geeze... That's really crummy and sounds like the timing is just impeccable (how is it that the worst stuff comes at the worst possible time????). Thinking of you!

Liv
23rd September 2004, 04:05 PM
Oww Kaja, I understand your doubts and feelings... I hope that your doctor can give you advice so that it makes it easier for you to decide (if you have to make a decision). I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! :hug:

Kaja
23rd September 2004, 04:10 PM
Thank you :kiss:

He's a really nice guy, I know he'll help me out.

Well, I'm leaving then! See you :D

(wont be too horrible being there though, I'll shop lots ;-) Oslo is biiiig)

ivanleg
23rd September 2004, 04:15 PM
Cheerio, have fun in Oslo and make sure to buy some lip balm. You can never have enough lip balm.

sins
23rd September 2004, 05:54 PM
Good Luck kaja,
Let's just wait and hear what he has to say.I guess the decision about surgery is a big one but if the ribs are getting more twisted and you find it distressing perhaps it is time to consider the surgery to avoid this getting any worse.
You only get one shot at your teenage years and if surgery can stop the progression and keep you straight then it's worth it.Hopefully it won't come to this but having gone through my teenage years with severe scoliosis my only regret is the loss of my teenage years to the cosmetic effects of curvature.Problem is now I'll never be able to turn the clock back.It's great that you have such a great doctor who's really doing his best for you. Good luck!!
Sins

titch
23rd September 2004, 06:20 PM
Hope the appointment goes really well Kaja! I'm sorry it's been causing you so much grief to have the confusion over whether to do it or not - hopefully this appointment will help to clarify things for you. :squeeze:

tonibunny
23rd September 2004, 06:30 PM
Good luck Kaja :hug: I'm so sorry things have turned out like this....and I hope the appointment tomorrow helps a little. I agree with Ivan - treat yourself to some lovely lipbalm (I buy lipglosses for myself when I need cheering up) :D

Pikey
23rd September 2004, 08:46 PM
Good luck with the appointment and I hope you get some good news , buy some of that flavoured lip stuff .I have a rib hump that pushes my shoulder blade out and now and again that aches too , Toni and Charlotte had their ones removed and my I say they had great jobs done . I hope all goes well , take care .

DublinPauline
23rd September 2004, 09:00 PM
Best of luck Kaja.

If I was you, I think I would go for the further fusion if it stops curve progression and rotation as it much harder to correct these when you're older and less flexible.

I hope your doctor gives you good guidance and makes it easier for you to make your decision!

BlueIce
23rd September 2004, 09:15 PM
I agree with Pauline on this, it's better to have surgery when you're young, but most of us know that surgery really sucks!
I hope everything goes well and that you don't need to make this big decision. If you need someone to talk to, we're here for you!

Lieve
23rd September 2004, 09:28 PM
Good luck with your appointment Kaja. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. :squeeze:

lindzi_11
23rd September 2004, 10:02 PM
aw Kaja.. i'll be thinking of yah! :squeeze: tonz of luck! =)

Abbi
23rd September 2004, 10:03 PM
Good Luck Kaja, i hope it goes well...u have prob gone by now, but hey Good luck! If u need surgery you need it, I know it is hard to go through (as i have heard you guys talk about it) I will be needing surgery also...so I will be able to help you thru it.

Prayn for you hun!
xx

Jonny
23rd September 2004, 10:03 PM
Kaja, best of luck - hope to see you really soon and we can recount everything :-) :squeeze:

by the way Tim, I had a thoracoplasty too ;-)

Carly
23rd September 2004, 10:59 PM
Good Luck!!!

Marti
24th September 2004, 02:27 AM
Best of luck Kaja. it sounds like you've been thinking a ton. try not to stress out. and always remember we're here for you, no matter what you decide to do.

jfkimberly
24th September 2004, 02:54 AM
I absolutely agree with Pauline. If you need another surgery, you should take care of it now, while you're young and your spine is relatively flexible. You'll feel better, and it's a lot easier to find a surgeon who can/will do it when you're young than when you're a bit older.

Joy
25th September 2004, 01:56 AM
*hugs* Kaja. It sounds like you've thought really seriously about this. I'm thinking of you!

Kaja
25th September 2004, 07:26 PM
I'm back! :D

Thanks guys, the appointment went really good. Not what I had expected, but great!

My x-rays showed that the upper curve won't progress, and that it actually looks better now, my posture has improved! He was really happy about that :-) He kept going on and on about the great correction of the bottom curves :P Anyways. Corrective surgery is not necessary at all. The curve is still around 35į, so I can forget the endoscopic bla bla :D He understood the problems I had with my shoulder, and costoplasty is an option. He doesn't really want to do it though, because the shoulder might not improve if he operates.

So this is what we agreed on: I get physical therapy for a year or something, to work on my shoulder. If it improves, and everything's ok when I meet him in a year again, I won't concider a costoplasty. If I'm still unhappy when I see him, and I want one, he'll give me a year - and then operate :P Because a costoplasty is not good for young backs. He'll do it when I'm 17, minimum. :D

That's actually very good news. I don't have to stress about surgery now, 17 would be perfect! Ah. Sure, I'll have to live like this for a while, but it's not THAT bad. Just knowing he can help me, and that I don't have to live like this forever, cheers me up. So, I'm pleased.

Aaaand! I shopped quite a bit :D Oslo is huge. Oslo rocks. I also went to Ikea! Woo! It's not faaair though! When I left BodÝ, it was 9įC, cloudy, wet, foggy, orange (autumn is here) and frosty. In Oslo it was 17įC, sunny, green (no autumn yet) and waaarm :D And flat. And pretty. Oslo has lots of pretty houses, the germans bombed the ones in BodÝ :-o Lol. It's weird how different things are around here, when it comes to the climate. Seee, I told you not every part of Norway is freezing. Just the above-arctic-circle bit :P And yes, I bought another lipbalm :joke: Ah, love.

It's good to be back :kiss:

Carly
25th September 2004, 07:36 PM
Good to hear Kaja! I am glad the appointment went well!

lindzi_11
25th September 2004, 08:03 PM
WELCOME BACK! =)

Joy
26th September 2004, 02:35 AM
I'm glad to hear your appointment went well!! And that you don't need suergery. When do you start physio?

jfkimberly
26th September 2004, 04:34 AM
GREAT appointment, Kaja! You must be so pleased/relieved! Now, did you buy anything great when you were shopping in Oslo? Oh, I guess that's best left to the other forum.

Lieve
26th September 2004, 01:26 PM
Good to hear your appointment went well. :squeeze:

Kaja
26th September 2004, 02:10 PM
Yes, I'm very happy about the appointment! :D I'll start physio in a week or something.

I shopped lots of clothes! And silly stuff from Ikea :joke: Aah. I bought the cutest Julius - Paul Frank PJ's everrr :D

ivanleg
26th September 2004, 02:29 PM
Good result Kaja!
But what flavour lip balm was it?

Kaja
26th September 2004, 02:41 PM
Strawberry :D

andrea
26th September 2004, 05:31 PM
Glad to hear it all went Kaja.

Abbi
26th September 2004, 09:08 PM
yeah totally glad for you! Keep smilin' :-D

Jessica*
27th September 2004, 05:18 AM
Well that is good news indeed.
Shopping sprees do tend to make everything seem twice as good. I guess everything is back and happy-chappy again, for now.

I just know that if anything does seem to change, you'll make the right decision for it anyway.
BRAVO!