PDA

View Full Version : Nuffield orthopaedic

tigger!
22nd September 2004, 04:48 PM
Chrissy here,
Thanks so much for the brilliant messages you all sent Sarah (aka "Tigger") She was so thrilled to see all the support shown.
What a great website Titch, I'm now addicted and will let you know of Sarah's progress. Would be interested to hear what The Nuffield Orthpaedic is like from anyone who has had the op. there.
Love and Best Wishes
Chrissy. X

sins
22nd September 2004, 05:37 PM
Hi Chrissy,
Both Charlotte and Natasha had surgery there.Natasha isn't around at the moment but I've pulled up her account of corrective surgery for an astonishing 155 degree curve.Don't be scared by the account.....the smaller the curve the less likely of it being so challenging an operation.
I think it's a testament to their skills as scoliosis surgeons.
I'm so glad the birthday celebrations went so well!!
Sins

tigger!
23rd September 2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks Sins for your reply. Glad to hear all went well with Charlotte and Natasha, it's very reassuring. I am so worried from the fact that she is only 12 yrs old. Her curve is 65 degree. We've had a bit of a wait for an appoitment to see the Surgeon (which is now 11th Oct) so will keep you all posted re. Sarah's progress.
Thanks again for your support.
Kind Regards,
Chrissy. xxxxx

ivanleg
23rd September 2004, 04:04 PM
Good luck for October 11th. Is Sarah braced at the moment?

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
23rd September 2004, 05:07 PM
No - Sarah's not braced at the moment. In fact we have only learnt of her scoliosis in July 2004, but the consultant thinks it is probably best just to go for the op. I never knew of the condition until then, and didn't realise how many people have a curvature of the spine - unbelievable!
It's good to know there is hope, and that her life will get back on track soon. Doe's anyone know where I can get info. to educate schools in the UK, I know in other coutries they do sceening for kids, but of course nothing like this goes on in the UK. I would be interested if someone knows where I might be able to get packs relating to scoliosis for schools.
Thanks again for your kind thoughts and supprt.
Chrissy XXX

floralgypsy
23rd September 2004, 05:26 PM
Hello Chrissy, which doctor is Sarah being treated by at the Nuffield Orthopaedic? My doctor was Mr. Wilson-MacDonald and I will be returning for my two-year post-op check-up in November.

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
23rd September 2004, 05:41 PM
Hi Floralgypsy,

The surgeon's name is a Mr. Fairbanks, (do you know of him?).
What was your treatment like there too?

Ta again!

Chrissy.xxx

sins
23rd September 2004, 05:58 PM
Hi Chrissy,
With regard to packs containing info for schools you might like to try the SAUK an English based charity http://www.sauk.org.uk/ if you haven't found it already.They have lots of literature available.
We are planning some info packs but it will be early next year before this happens as this group is still in it's infancy.
A 65 degree curve is well in the range where surgery could be considered and as she hits the teen growth spurt it could increase quite suddenly and dramatically.
Good luck with your appointment, at least it's quite soon.
Sins

floralgypsy
24th September 2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy@Sep 23 2004, 05:41 PM
Hi Floralgypsy,

The surgeon's name is a Mr. Fairbanks, (do you know of him?).
What was your treatment like there too?

Ta again!

Chrissy.xxx
Yes, I know of Dr. Jeremy Fairbank, he has treated my dad for many years and is a wonderful doctor. I actually had my surgery at the John Radcliffe hospital as that is where they prefer to do anterior surgery(through the side/front). I was then transported back to the Nuffield for my rehabilitation after two days. The Nuffield is renowned for its history of orthopaedic surgery and you should feel quite at ease as it is a great hospital! My curve was 56-60 degrees and was reduced with only a very short fusion down to 24 degrees. Depending on how many curves your daughter has and the severity, she may need just anterior or anterior/posterior. Either way, rest assured that she is in great hands!

Charlotte

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
24th September 2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks Charlotte - that is reassuring.
And thanks again for letting me know about this site.

Sarah doesn't know what is actually involved regarding the surgery. Do you think I should tell her fully, or perhaps wait for the "experts" to explain things to her.
You see, I don't want her to be too frightened.
Any comments would be most welcomed.

Ta again,
Chrissy
xxxxxxxxx

tonibunny
24th September 2004, 01:34 PM
Hi Chrissy,

If you basically understand what's involved with the surgery then yes, please do go ahead and explain to Sarah what's going to happen. You don't have to go into too much detail. I had my first surgeries when I was ten and wasn't frightened at all because I understood what was to happen. I just looked forward to six weeks off school (this was 1986) and being spoiled rotten! :D The only thing that really scared me was when I was put into Halo traction - no-one had explained that to me at all, so it was needlessly bewildering and frightening.

If you are unsure what to say to Sarah, let us know, and we can help!

sins
27th September 2004, 06:48 PM
Hi Chrissy,
I was just trying to think of how much you can tell her without scaring her.Do you know if it will be a one stage or two stage operation?I think you do need to give her a decent explanation why she needs the surgery and what it will involve.There's no need to give too much detail but there's nothing worse than the fear of the unknown so if you can prepare her for the surgery in a positive way it will help her.
Halo traction by the way is an older type treatment pre surgery for stubborn curves which won't apply to Sarah.(It wasn't nice).
Also I would recommend keeping her away from the member's gallery as it's not for the nervous or squeamish.
Does she say much about the surgery or discuss it with you?
Sins

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
28th September 2004, 08:10 AM
Hi Sins,

She has began to ask questions about the surgery, and I've been honest with her as far as I can, But we've yet to see the surgeon to know more, and what is involved. So perhaps I shouldn't say too much at this stage until we've seen the surgeon.
However, she is frightened. She was alarmed to hear that her back needs to be open, so she is really naive about it all.

Thanks again for the advice.

Chrissy.