PDA

View Full Version : Pain in the neck

Simon
6th February 2008, 10:40 PM
Hi guys and girls

For the past 3 to 4 days i have really been getting bad neck ache it in the same place right in the middle of the back of my neck tried anti inflams and pain relief it just dont shift any ideas ???????
Never had it before but its driving me mad ......

Amazed Jean
6th February 2008, 11:24 PM
Simon, I gonna jump right in and guess that it's caused by stress. You are under a ton of it right now and it's no surprise that it manifests itself in pain. Scoliosis/kyphosis is a wonderful thing ain't it? Here you are trying to take care and wait your turn for treatment and up jumps some nice new pain in your neck. I'd certainly mention it to the doctor and try heat and massage if you can and over the counter pain killers but if all else fails I'd try a glass of wine and a hot bath.

jfkimberly
7th February 2008, 07:41 AM
Jean is probably right. Try her tips: massage, heat, etc. But just to be sure, is it a dull throbbing kind of pain, or is it more like a pinch?

GillyG
7th February 2008, 11:58 AM
Have you tried those wheatbags that you heat up in the microwave? Not everyone likes them but I wouldn't be without mine, I have several and I do find they help to soothe my general aches and pains.

Simon
7th February 2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys
I have tried heatpads but it just dont shift am thinking its just muscular and the way i sit .........

Little Ali
7th February 2008, 10:21 PM
Those wheatbags are great for neckache cos they wrap round it really well. I get neckache from my scoliosis and it's horrible. Stress definitely makes it worse though!! I hope it starts to ease up soon :hug:

Simon
11th February 2008, 08:29 PM
AM STILL GETTING THIS SILLY STUPID HORRIBLE NECK ACHE ARRRRRRR

I TAKE PAIN KILLERS WRAP WHEATBAGS ROUND MY NECK TAKE ANTI INFLAMS.............AND ITS NOT GOING AWAY :-(

caro
11th February 2008, 08:58 PM
sometimes I get horrendous neckache which is at its worst at night when I'm trying to sleep. Even my Chinese smelly rub won't help. I do find it helps to rest my neck on a hot water bottle though. For me it usually lasts a good week. Hope it goes soon.

Little Ali
11th February 2008, 10:41 PM
I suggest you go and get a sports massage or see a physio is possible. That's what I resort to when I've tried all other routies!

Hope you feel better soon x

Lucy7
12th February 2008, 01:26 AM
OK Simon, this will sound odd but bear with me.

I had a nasty car accident last year and my neck pain would keep me awake . I would do three things.

1) Put an ice pack on my neck for 20 minutes.

2) Get a kind soul to massage my neck and shoulders with Vicks Vapourub.

3) After 2-3 hours have a nice hot back.

This way you really feel the full benefit of cold and heat. I swear it worked for me and I still do it. Sorry if it sounds a bit daft !!

Hope you feel better soon,
Lucy

lady p
17th February 2008, 10:53 PM
Hi Simon, sorry you are suffering. :squeeze:

I have been suffering with neck pain just recently too - I'm not sure if it is a draght I have been getting in bed at night. Like you I have tried pain killers, anti inflams, wheat bags and even some really smelly stuff - bought on a holiday in the States and ....... none of it has worked yet!! - I have even resorted to sleeping with a 'T shirt' on, much to the dismay of my fella.

Keep trying them, and if necessary go and see your GP.

Hope youre feeling better soon

Lady p xx

Simon
17th February 2008, 11:17 PM
Hi guys

Thanks for your support once again

Am still having neck pain more than ever at the moment i think its just muscle related as am turning my head to watch the tv so am thinking its that .

If its still here over the next few days i will have to pay a visit to my g.p i dont like going to the docs over trivial things but i can not keep going though the same pain day in day out ....

Amazed Jean
17th February 2008, 11:48 PM
I really had some nasty neck pain about three years ago. It came as no surprise sinc my upper curve is high enough to involve neck muscles. However it took awhile to fix it. Two $50.00 doctor visits and I did the pain pills and the heat and massage and finally figured out where it came from. The computer! We changed desks to save space and moved the monitor down until it is even with my face and the pain stopped almost completely in about three days. I know Well duh! I still get neck pain once in awhile but none as bad as that round.

jfkimberly
18th February 2008, 12:44 AM
Oh, Jean... similar situation... I used to change cars a lot before I bought my MiniZoom. Every car's seat is shaped differently, and I couldn't figure out why I was getting neck pain and stiffness. Now that I drive MiniZoom almost exclusively, no more neck pain. So every once in a while when I find myself driving someone else's car, I keep poking at the headrest behind me... it's the forward-pushing headrest that makes my neck hurt. So I try to avoid driving other cars now. Oh, and as I mentioned in another thread recently, theater seats also push foward, and they hurt my neck, too.

Amazed Jean
18th February 2008, 02:23 AM
Oh Kim, Aren't you forgetting your other pain in the neck - located in Colder climate?

jfkimberly
18th February 2008, 04:07 AM
That pain in the neck is another matter. hehe I don't know what to make of him. I guess I'm about to find out. Less than two weeks 'til I'm up there.

lady p
19th February 2008, 02:01 PM
Hi Simon, just to get back on track. its been a couple of days, are you feeling any better?

Just a thought, you saying you have to turn your head to look at the TV, could you not move to a better position, as this may be pulling on muscles in your neck.

Take care

Simon
19th February 2008, 08:15 PM
Hi lady p

Its still there taking diclfenic though a lot more now

Changed the tv postion thing thats helped a little

Little Ali
19th February 2008, 09:06 PM
Hi Simon,
I'm glad changing the tc's helped a bit. I'm gonna try that too. Just wondering, does the diclofenic make you have funny dreams? Does with me!

As for car head rests..they're annoying. I'm just a bit too short to reach them!

Simon
19th February 2008, 09:51 PM
No dont make me have funny dreams

do you have funny dreams on them i take sleeping tablets so am out for the night me