PDA

View Full Version : severe pain

lynns
20th September 2004, 07:51 PM
:???: i am having to wait for neuro surgeon to see me in october, but this morning i woke up with my left side of body very stiff. my left hand is numb and tingling, my feet are tingling,left arm and hand numb and tingling. my left arm feels like some one beat the tar out of it. very sore to touch. my left side of neck is throbing and very much in pain. in between my shoulder blades are constant throbbing.
i also have scoliosis in my neck as well as my back. i feel like im curling up to the left. im sorry this is my first post and im starting with problems. hi everyone. im very shaky and feeling of here but mind isnt. have ruptered disc at c-5 thru c-7
compressing left side spinal cord. sorry forgot to mention that. also states have intervertabral disc disorder. dont know what that is. any reply would help. trying to decied to go to hospital or wait it out till october.

sins
20th September 2004, 08:12 PM
Hi Lynn,
That sounds like quite an ordeal.Have you had surgery for your scoliosis?Most of us over 30's have very vulnerable discs in our neck.My disc has degenerated at c5/c6 and can produce quite a sharp pain that can last for some time.I've had some of those symptoms but they resolved over time with rest and antiinflammatories.A ruptured disc sounds like it needs the attention of your neurosurgeon. I'm not sure when your appointment is in October but Maybe it's worth taking yourself to the hospital to try to get the pain under control.
Sometimes discs can cause so much trouble that surgery is required.One of our members has had disc replacement surgery to avoid fusing the cervical vertebrae.Is there any chance that you can call the neurosurgeon and try to speed up your appointment and try to convince his secretary that you're an urgent case?
I think if you can get the pain under control the other symptoms will seem less severe and you can deal with them in october.See if your family doctor or your hospital can help with the pain.
Sins

tonibunny
20th September 2004, 08:18 PM
Hi Lynns, welcome to SSO! :welcome:

I'm afraid I haven't experienced the effects of a serious spinal cord compression as you have, but there are others here who can identify with you! In the meantime, here's some info for you:

Intervertebral Disc Disorder is a catch-all term applied to any problems that happen with the discs that sit between the vertebrae. When a spine is fused, extra pressure is put onto the vertebrae above and below those that are fused, which means that they suffer a lot more wear and tear.....however, this can happen when a spine is curved but unfused too, as the load on the spine isn't evenly shared amongst each vertebra.

If the pain is really unbearable, I'd make sure you see a doctor as soon as possible....no-one ought to put up with huge amounts of pain :( It's good that you have a hospital appointment in October though, as the neuro surgeon will be able to give you a lot more advice and information!

Take care. We're all here to help you :hug:

Toni xx

lynns
20th September 2004, 08:24 PM
the appointment is the 18th. to put a long story short. at 13 found out had scoliosis, nothing done{meaning parents}, at 13 was paralized waist down from accident walk now,november of last year went to hospital for couldnt move left side and the took neck x-rays showed nothing said wry neck and sent home. 3 dys later went back in more pain than earlier now spinal cord injury. from standing in kitchen reaching for glass. january had accident couldnt move right leg got more x-rays showed scoliosis and hyperactive lordosis in lumbar {duh!} finally got first of 3 mris and neck ws first and doc told to get surgeon asap. well octobers the earliest. called hospital and they will admitt me and see if can do surgery , but have kids and i cant just jump in to hospital unprepaired. at witts end and completely lost my mind.

tonibunny
20th September 2004, 08:31 PM
Oh Lynn, you poor thing, you've really been through it!!!! I'm so sorry you've had such a bad time. The good news is that things are beginning to get under control now, as you have that appointment with the neurosurgeon.......things will start to get better now :hug:

Lieve
20th September 2004, 08:36 PM
I have not much experience with doctors so far so I guess I cannot be of much medical help for you. Anyway welcome to SSO Lynn! :welcome:
Btw my name is Lieve, I'm 31 years old and live in Belgium.
A big hug and I'm hoping you'll feeling better soon. :squeeze:

lynns
20th September 2004, 10:41 PM
:nut: well my primary doctor called and issued me soma for the inflamation,but you know what im still in pain. she had me come and get meds and talk with her. the jist is, if feel same tomorrow, go to emergency room. well that just made me feel great. :niceone: also im 28 and i live in the great hurricane state of florida.thank all for all the fine words. i got better support from you guys than docs.

jfkimberly
21st September 2004, 06:52 AM
Wow, Lynns, your situation sounds unbearable. I'm glad your primary care doctor is at least trying to help you. She prescribed medicine and recommended emergency if you are still feeling bad tomorrow, rather than just dismissing you. I don't have any advice for you, unfortunately, but please let us know how you're doing tomorrow.

How old are your children? What arrangements are you making for your appointment in October? Can they take the kids sooner so you can get some relief?

Kaja
21st September 2004, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry I can't help you, but welcome!!! :D :wave: You'll like it here

Pikey
26th September 2004, 08:18 AM
Hi Lynns and welcome to our family . I had loss of feeling and tingling down mainly the left side of my body , somedays I would wake up with no feeling in my back and the whole left arm .I went to the Docs and after an MRI they told me my disc was pushing against the spinal cord .
I had surgery earlier this year and they removed the disc and replaced it with a new one .It's called a Bryant Disc replacement , it's not 100% better but it's a lot better than it was .The operation wasn't that bad and i was up on my feet a couple of days later , you spend about 4 weeks in a neck colar .I was back to work after a couple of months .
Take care ,Pikey :welcome: