PDA

View Full Version : Been to see the anethetist

Simon
22nd January 2008, 01:42 PM
Hi
Been to see the anesthetist this morning very nice man by the name of mr cooper
He gave me a insight into what to expect.....

He said i would be in theater for around 6 to 7 hours i would have the spinal monitoring stuff on before i went down as they need to test it out before hand........
I will have a neck line in plus a back drain also have a epidural with a pca machine to control pain afterwards He also mentioned that They might have to do a wake up test during the operation yaaakkksssss.......Also that when i come round from the anesthetic my face might be a bit swollen due to me lying flat for a number of hours...

They will be using donors bone and also they have a machine now so if i lose blood whilst having the operation they recycle my own blood though a machine also any swabs they use that have blood on they go though a special machine....cool.......
i also spoke to mr williamsons securetery today and i am on the urgent list to operated on....
She said that i would hear from her very soon........
All systems go it seems............ :niceone: .............. :-o :-o :-o

jfkimberly
22nd January 2008, 08:04 PM
Oh, it'll be very soon, then, Simon! Good luck with it. Do you have anybody who can come on SSo and post your progress for us?

Simon
22nd January 2008, 08:36 PM
Hi
I dont have anyone to update sso but if anyone would like to volunteer i can sort it out for my girlfriend to text when am in hospital...........

Amazed Jean
22nd January 2008, 09:07 PM
I cannot stand for the doctors to come in ahead of time and discuss the details. It frankly scares the hell out of me. I get somebody else to listen to their speil. I am one of those people who says "I don't want to know. Just do what you are going to do and wake me up when it's over".

GloomCookie
22nd January 2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Amazed Jean@Jan 22 2008, 08:07 PM
I cannot stand for the doctors to come in ahead of time and discuss the details. It frankly scares the hell out of me. I get somebody else to listen to their speil. I am one of those people who says "I don't want to know. Just do what you are going to do and wake me up when it's over".
I hate that they're so graphically matter-of-fact about it all. The look on my Dad's face when they were describing an anterior approach, ugh :woe:

jfkimberly
23rd January 2008, 11:57 AM
*chuckle* I'm the complete opposite. I want to know what they're going to do, so I can kind of anticipate what I'll feel when I wake up. I like to have a good understanding of it all. Funny thing, that... when I had my brain surgery, they never explained that my head would be screwed into one of those frames to stabilize it (I guess I should've known that, though), so when they took the bandage off a few days after surgery, I was confused by the four extra wounds in addition to my surgery site... that's when I was told of the frame. I'm not sure why, but I felt betrayed that they didn't tell me in advance.

GillyG
23rd January 2008, 07:43 PM
I'm one of those who has to know everything in great detail. I'm not sure if it's working in hospitals for so long or just 'cos I'm nosey ...!!

Amazed Jean
23rd January 2008, 08:21 PM
I just don't want the gory details. We are going to open your back and straighten the spine is enough. I don't like surprises either I just don't like every gory detail. Yuck.

GillyG
23rd January 2008, 08:59 PM
He he, gimme the gory anyday!! :glee: :glee: :glee:

alyssa
23rd January 2008, 08:59 PM
Ohhh sounds exciting. G'luck I wish you a speedy recovery.

jfkimberly
24th January 2008, 12:58 AM
I'm with you, Gilly... give me gory anyday. *grin*

Amazed Jean
24th January 2008, 07:46 PM
I know gory must be very popular. So many television shows in the last few years are depicting some gory stuff with all the color and ooze etc. We call it "Gratitous Guts!)

GillyG
24th January 2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by jfkimberly@Jan 23 2008, 11:58 PM
I'm with you, Gilly... give me gory anyday. *grin*
Kim, I'm beginning to think we were made from the same mold....with me as the prototype of course!! :glee: :glee: :glee:

Thaleias spirit
24th January 2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah my head is usually stuck in pictures looking at all the bits and pieces and gore .. the only time I felt off was at post-op whe I was watching a programme and the scoliosis surgery .. it felt quite surreal to see it but I'm back to being med and examining gory pics in details ... would explain my fascination with forensic medicine and anything related. (but then gain it does kinda run in the family)

Johanlundborg
24th January 2008, 08:17 PM
Hi !
Your girlfriend can contact me on facebook and i will post it on SSO.
If itīs ok with you ?

Simon
25th January 2008, 12:32 PM
hi
my girlfriend has said thats fine about facebook but its would be better by text as she can not take her laptop to the hospital with her ..............and also she lives in exeter so she is going to be up and down to manchester
so if i can sort out numbers with anyone she said she can text regually whilst am in hospital.....

Johanlundborg
25th January 2008, 12:37 PM
You mean by SMS or Email ?
She can do both to me, but i donīt know about the cost of SMS to me in Sweden....

Simon
25th January 2008, 01:36 PM
yea i meant sms sorry thats the english for you ..............

I will let her now when she comes home from work and tell her your user name on facebook if she carnt get on the computer much we will have to sort out a phone number so she can sms you .........................

jamielynn
25th January 2008, 09:39 PM
Great News~
Hope that everything goes well:)

Simon
25th January 2008, 10:00 PM
hi mate got your message on facebook so i will get gemma my girlfriend to text you on that number ..............
also she said she would give you a day by day account so then you can post it on sso...........
not got a defo date yet they phoned me today to say it will might be in feb with another surgeon as mr wiliamsons off on holiday till march so it might be march......................................
thanks again

Sandman77
26th January 2008, 11:36 PM
your a brave man Simon, good luck! Will think of you then...