PDA

View Full Version : CONFUSED

Simon
19th January 2008, 07:04 PM
HI guys and girls

First off just a big thank you for all your support since i have joined.
If your reading this post I want to thank you for everything

You all know that my surgery is looming and that am getting more and more nervous
I have had plenty of operations though my time but none as big as this.... :woe:

This has been playing on my mind for a few days now and i still dont know the answer so am hoping someone will
:???:

I have a 92 degree upper thoracic curve (kyphosis) and am having a posturer fusion with instrumentation...

The questions is
When am asleep and on the table lying i presume on my front how are they going to know how much to straighten my spine as if i lie on my front the curve is not noticeable as my spine is not stiff its flexible..

So for instance i have just been lying flat on the floor on my tummy and my spine seems straight just like it does when i flex my shoulders back my spine corrects itself
even know i can not hold it there.

Am i making sense
:???:

Anyway its one of them questions that doing my nut in i am prob worrying to much i just want them to be able to correct it first time.

Mr williamson said as its flexible they can correct it to within normal limits.
:help: :niceone:

GillyG
19th January 2008, 07:30 PM
If your kyphosis corrects when you are lying on your tummy then it'll make the job even easier for the surgeons - they'll put all the instrumentation in and fix everything in place while your spine is nice and straight :D

Amazed Jean
19th January 2008, 09:26 PM
Yep, I'm sure it will be easier to get a straight spine for you that way.

jfkimberly
20th January 2008, 01:39 AM
Yup, as Gilly said, that will just make the job easier for the surgeon. Think of the instrumentation as like having an internal splint. The rods will be fixed to your straightened spine with screws, then when you are awake and upright, the rods will hold your spine straight because they're rigid. It isn't a matter of "how much do we do", it's a matter of getting you as straight as possible, then affixing the metal to hold you that way. A flexible curve is a very good thing.