PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Technique

carolad
4th January 2008, 01:35 PM
Hi there

I'm new here - recently diagnosed with mild scoliosis and tilted pelvis, after years of back pain.

Have tried chiropractic sessions and physio which helped a bit, but I'm still in pain. I was thinking about trying Alexander Technique lessons - anyone had any success with this method?

caro
4th January 2008, 03:38 PM
Welcome! We have simialr names!

Haven't tried Alexander technique but I think it prob would help if you did it 1 to 1. Am sure someone else will have more info though. Just wanted to welcome you.

jamielynn
4th January 2008, 09:16 PM
Hi,
I haven't tried that technique, but PILATES work wonders for me... they take away my stiffness and pain

Arthur
5th January 2008, 09:42 AM
Hi!
Excuse me, but what is "Pilates"? :>
And mby you can give a link with this "Alexander technique"? ;)

GillyG
5th January 2008, 04:55 PM
Arthur, you could try the following links to read a bit more about Pilates and the Alexander Technique.

Pilates (http://www.medicinenet.com/pilates/article.htm)

Alexander Technique (http://www.stat.org.uk/pages/general.htm)

Both are essentially types of training programmes for muscles and posture and may be of some help in controlling the symptoms caused by your scoliosis, although they won't be able to actually alter the structure of your curve.

Hope this helps,

Gilly xx

jamielynn
6th January 2008, 05:53 AM
Hi Arthur!
Pilates are just a special form of exercise that I do, it helps me with stiffness and strength.
Where are you from?
:niceone:

Arthur
6th January 2008, 10:06 AM
Im from Latvia. ( if you will try to find this country in map, its near RUSSIA )

jamielynn
6th January 2008, 05:11 PM
found it lol
So, I haven't talked to ya before, hows your back doing?

Sandman77
15th January 2008, 04:02 PM
Try Schroth and get a brace alongside, Alexander technique is OK but looking back at the history and its results of Schroth it is more effective...

Simon
15th January 2008, 04:33 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sandman please dont get me started on the schroth again lol

Only kidding mate

jamielynn
16th January 2008, 01:42 AM
Ok I just went on the internet to actually try to find info on the Schroth method...
Long story short, I'm in the US and I only found that there was a study using the Schroth Method in TURKEY and it was in 2005... it showed that the Schroth Method only changed 3 degrees in 1 out of the 50 people taking part in this study...
I'm just saying...
On top of that, there is NO studies that have ever taken place in the US
and basically it started out in Germany..

carolad
28th January 2008, 10:56 AM
Just thought I'd give a quick update on the Alexander Technique. I've only had 2 lessons so far so I'm not really sure what I'm doing yet, but I can definitely see how it might help me.

My AT teacher took ages getting me into the right position, and once all the muscles had relaxed, there was a brief period when my back didn't feel as sore. Now, whether I can manage to acheive this myself is another story, but I think its definitely worth trying. Apparently what I tend to do is tilt my pelvis backwards, which causes unnessary strain on the pelvis and lower back.

Another interesting thing he pointed out is that all the muscles in my right leg are tight, and I have a lot more difficulty moving my right leg than the left when I'm in the correct position. Its the right side of my pelvis that is tilted upwards, and the pain is mostly in the right side of my pelvis and lower back, so its obviously all part of the same problem.

I will keep you informed of my progress and will let you know in a few months whether it is worth the money - like all of these things, its not cheap!

GillyG
28th January 2008, 11:06 AM
That sounds really promising so far. Sometimes it takes an 'outsider' (especially an appropriately trained one :P ) to see where you're 'holding' yourself wrongly and being able to make small adjustments can make a huge difference to your pain levels. Please keep updating us! :D

carolad
28th January 2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks Gilly! Yes, its quite amazing, he definitely knows his stuff and can detect very subtle things that aren't quite right with your posture. I was looking in the mirror when he had me in more or less the right position, but something still wasn't quite right. He kept telling me to relax and 'let go' and to be honest I'm not sure what I did or what happened because I didn't consciously do anything and I didn't notice any change looking at my position. But for a few seconds I felt my back wasn't as sore - and the strange thing was that the very instant I felt that, my teacher said 'thats it'. Spooky! What happened? What did I do? What did he notice? I'm really not sure, but he knew iand I knew it was right :D

I will certainly keep you updated - its nice to spread some positive news if I can!

nutmeg
31st January 2008, 01:12 AM
Hi carolad

I'm glad you are finding Alexander technique helpful. I took it up again about a year ago, and have found it really helpful. You should find you get to a point where you can do things for yourself, without the teacher's help. It hasn't changed my "real" scoliosis ( a thoracic curve), but I also have a compensatory lumbar curve (not structural), and this does seem to have reduced. The main benefit for me has been that I am much more aware of how I am sitting/standing and an relax the muscles that would otherwise cuase pain, especially when driving.

Sandman77
1st February 2008, 04:22 PM
Jamielynn 4 you: http://www.schroth-skoliosebehandlung.de/

Also explains in Englisch and that Turkey info you got there is prolly made by surgeons forwarding surgery... I can tell you Schroth works for many that do it, myself included...

In any ages...

Silbo: A 67 year old man with severe Kyphoscoliosis and Parkinson minor Scoliosis barely flexible upon arrival left with decrease of his Kyphoscoliosis and moving around faster then anyone had expected...

Btw ive gained 0.5 cm while sitting :)