PDA

View Full Version : New Member, Recently had surgery for Scheuermann's

ariec924
4th January 2008, 01:13 AM
Hey, I'm new here. I'm 16 and in October I had to undergo surgery for my Scheuermann's disease. We didn't even know I had it until after ongoing pain got me to the doctor in September. My rigid curve was at 78 degrees before surgery and is now 45. My surgeon was amazing and I am doing very very well. Just here to share my experience and see if I can help anyone else :-)

jamielynn
4th January 2008, 01:29 AM
Hey how is your back doing now?

I'm getting surgery in the summer

ariec924
4th January 2008, 03:01 AM
The only bad part is the stiffness that you feel. And also with kyphosis your shoulder muscles tend to ache A LOT after surgery because your muscles aren't used to you not being hunched. But it has been about 2 and a half months and I look REALLY straight and feel much better! No more pain meds and went back to school yesterday. It's great that you are getting it in summertime though. Wish I could have.

jamielynn
4th January 2008, 03:17 AM
That's good that you look straighter and all that :niceone:
I have been doing a lot of pilates, they actually help a lot, very surprising.
The worst time for me is when I get up in the morning, I can't even bend, I have to wait until later in the day to bend all the way down.
So, how do you like this site so far?

ariec924
4th January 2008, 04:09 AM
I know that feeling with being sooo stiff in the morning! It got to the point where I tried to set alarms in the middle of the night to see if moving helped. And I am actually really liking the site, nice to know there are more people who are open about their back problems. It's a nice support group :) Thank you for making me feel welcome too

jamielynn
4th January 2008, 04:22 AM
That's what I did for a little bit.. but then I was really tired so I had to stop lol.
Your welcome, I like this site too :niceone:

Simon
4th January 2008, 07:59 AM
welcom eariec924
I also have kphosis 92%
Am having my surgery done in feb/march the support in here is great really supportive.
What was you surgery like after the operation and leading up to it......

GillyG
4th January 2008, 10:55 AM
Hi there and :welcome:

I'm reallly pleased you have joined the site and are willing to share your surgery experiences with others. :niceone:

It's fantastic that your surgery went so well and will be a great source of comfort for others waiting for/considering surgery for kyphosis.

Take good care of yourself,

Gilly xx

Simon
4th January 2008, 02:02 PM
arrrrrrrrrrrrrr
i have just phoned my surgeons secutery to see if they have a date in mind and been told that its going to be 3mths from next wensday as the pre operation test run out then otherwise they will have to do the tests all over again.
I also got told my surgeon only operates every two weeks (great a )...
frustration frustration frustration........

ariec924
4th January 2008, 07:54 PM
Before the surgery was a lot of preparing. MRIs and blood tests. Including donating blood for myself. After the surgery I felt crappy. Well, who wouldn't. It's tough, but you get through it. Just make sure that the nurses don't skip your meds once they have you on oral pain relievers. And your surgeon only operates every 2 weeks? wow, thats...odd. And thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes :)

jamielynn
4th January 2008, 07:58 PM
Ya I've never had any surgery before, so I'm just a LITTLE nervous lol

Simon
4th January 2008, 08:12 PM
every two weeks yea must do private work.
There is other spine surgeons that operate there but dont really want to change.......
And he must be good as he is the president of the scoliosis socicety in the uk........

ariec924
5th January 2008, 02:34 PM
Ohhh, the UK. Everything is different over there. As long as you are confident that he is a good surgeon and you are comfortable with him it should be fine.

And Jamielynn, I think it would be weird if you WEREN'T nervous! But don't worry, we are all here for support :)

jamielynn
6th January 2008, 08:46 PM
Ya im nervous, and excited because I want to finally "fix" my back in a way.

mark
8th January 2008, 01:27 AM
Hi and welcome to the website

It sounds like you have had a really good correction.

I hope you stick around the site

once again welcome to our wonky world

mark

ariec924
9th January 2008, 12:45 AM
My correction was pretty amazing, and my doctor had hoped he could get it even better! And I am enjoying this wonky world very much so far :D