PDA

View Full Version : SPINAL FUSION (ANTERIOR OR POSTERIOR

Simon
2nd January 2008, 04:58 PM
HI GUYS AND GIRLS
BELOW IS SOME INFORMATION FROM THE INFORMATION LEAFLET I GOT FROM MY HOSPITAL.............

WHAT IS A SPINAL FUSION?
Your surgery will take place in a operating theater, where you will put to sleep by an anesthetist. the surgeon will make a incision (cut) in your lower back or abdomen (or both) in your back or chest (or both), if upper spine and join together two or more of your vertebrae (bones in your back) using a bone graft (sometimes taken from a rib or your hip) or metalwork (or both)

BENEFITS OF SURGERY
After surgery your spine will not move were the fusion has taken place but the rest of the spine will move normally. After surgery for low back pain there is a 60 to 70% chance that the pain will be dramatically reduced but a 10 to 20% risk of the back pain being the same or worse. However , we hope that your pain will be reduced enough for you to be able to move about well enough to continue with your life,work social activities.

ASSESSMENT BEFORE SURGERY
Before your operation you will have a hospital appointment so that we can check you are fit for surgery.
We will take various measurements,including your blood pressure, weight, and height and also take some samples of blood and urine we may need to make other investigations.
if you are taking the contraceptive pill or hormone replacement (hrt) we will ask you to stop taking it 6 weeks before your operation.
at your appointment you will also see the surgeon who will answer any questions..

CONTINUED ON SEPARATE PAGE

Simon
2nd January 2008, 05:00 PM
HOW YOU CAN HELP YOUR RECOVERY
eat a well-balanced diet , stop smoking as smoking can increase the time it takes for your wound to heal, and your bone graft to fuse. you must stop smoking 3 mths BEFORE surgery.
Reduce your weight as being overweight increases your risk of complications. if you are overweight you will be advised how much to lose.
it is very important that you continue doing the exercises that the physiotheripist will give you when you leave hospital

DAY OF SURGERY
You will come to the spinal unit on the day before your operation and stay in hospital for about a week depending on your physical and social circumstances.

AFTER SSURGERY
After your operation you may well be cared for on the hdu or icu where the nursing staff closely monitor you . you will experience some pain in the area were you had your operation you may also have fluids or blood up until you are drinking normally and you will also have a catheter , to relive your pain you may have a pca machine.

DRIVING
You may travel in a car as a passenger after your operation , but before you leave hospital your doctor will discuss with you when you may start to drive again this will depend on your progress and type of work but it is usually after about six weeks.

END
I HOPE THAT HELPS SOME PEOPLE THAT WAS FROM THE BOOKLET I GOT FROM MR WILLIAMSON AT HOPE HOSPITAL THE LAST TIME I HAD A PREOP MY FINGERS ARE NUMB NOW HA HA ...............................

titch
2nd January 2008, 07:54 PM
That's a really useful little overview :-) One thing I would note though, is that the bit about surgery for low back pain probably doesn't apply in cases of scoliosis or kyphosis, as it's referring to things like single and double level fusions for degeneration of discs - especially if adequate investigation has not been done, that kind of surgery may not address pain well.*

*Randomised studies have shown that many people have degeneration of their discs without any symptoms, so while it can be easy to blame a blown disc when someone presents with severe pain, it could be something else causing the problem in many cases. Also, more recent studies have shown that the practice of early intervention with surgery - which was more of an issue in the US - may have caused more problems than it solved, as many people who had surgery within a few weeks of injury would have been better to be left for longer for things to improve on their own, and only intervene in the presence of certain symptoms, or long duration of symptoms.

Simon
2nd January 2008, 08:03 PM
hi i understand your point this was the leaflet i was given by the spinal centre at hope hospital manchester and is just a overview of spinal surgery in general it was done by mr williamson and his team who is also the president of the uk scoliosis society.
Am sure there is lots that i have not included as i could not fit it on the screen.
Please feel free to amend as you wish as you have a greater knowledge on the above subject.
hope your well x

titch
2nd January 2008, 10:32 PM
I just didn't want anyone who read it knowing that they have to have a long fusion, or one low down, to worry too much :-) It sounds like it's a really useful leaflet though, and does give a good overview of everything so I'm glad that you posted it.

Simon
3rd January 2008, 12:12 AM
THATS COOL THANK YOU ........X

Simon
4th January 2008, 02:01 PM
arrrrrrrrrrrrrr
i have just phoned my surgeons secutery to see if they have a date in mind and been told that its going to be 3mths from next wensday as the pre operation test run out then otherwise they will have to do the tests all over again.
I also got told my surgeon only operates every two weeks (great a )...
frustration frustration frustration........

daniel7
2nd October 2011, 12:31 AM
thanks