PDA

View Full Version : Take a look at this!

Carly
12th September 2004, 05:43 AM
I was searching about scoliosis and i found this website... It is about a brace treatment but claims it straightens the spine. Take a look here (http://www.scoliosis.com/explore.cfm/starshome/)

tonibunny
12th September 2004, 11:48 AM
Ugh......

"There are five types of scoliosis congenital, infantile, juvenile, adult, and idiopathic"

:roll:

For anyone reading this site who isn't aware of this.......scoliosis may present as either

* congenital scoliosis, caused by mis-formed vertebrae which are present at birth

* idiopathic scoliosis, which means that it has no known cause, and which may be diagnosed as having developed from birth to about 5 years of age (infantile scoliosis), from about 5 to about 11 years of age (juvenile scoliosis), during one's teenage years (from the age of 12 to about 18), or more rarely as an adult.

* scoliosis caused by neurological or other conditions. This type of scoliosis is seen as a symptom of these conditions, and is secondary to the main problem.

I think that's right.....please feel free to correct me. It's certainly more accurate than the above "five types of scoliosis" statement.

tonibunny
12th September 2004, 12:17 PM
Ahhhhh it's the Copes brace site.

"NASA technology has led to the development of a dynamic brace that utilizes air-injected pneumatic force vector units (PFVU) to correct bony deformities and the axial system of the spine."

*dies laughing*

Air-injected Pneumatic Force Vector Units? Would those be more simply described as "inflatable pockets", at all? :rofl:

Amazed Jean
12th September 2004, 06:15 PM
LOL now that I've cracked up reading the STARS site I'm thinking of sending them my xrays and stuff. Since I'm 53 they should still be able to help. Their site says"IEven in the sixth decade of life" I was wondering if they could just take off say 20% of my 140 curve and 20% of my 66 curve and 20% of my 40 curve...

gabrielle
12th September 2004, 11:02 PM
I've read some posts in the NSF Forum site from people who have tried Copes and say they haven't had good results at all. Also, they say insurance does not cover it, so they have spent lots of money for little help. *shrugs* I dunno anything for fact, but it seems like it would be a waste of time and money. Maybe for minimal curves it can help. Leaves me out!

Joy
12th September 2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by tonibunny@Sep 12 2004, 03:48 AM

* scoliosis caused by neurological or other conditions. This type of scoliosis is seen as a symptom of these conditions, and is secondary to the main problem.

:niceone:

That site sounds a bit unresearched. Or perhaps quacky would be a better term. *mutters* I hate these sites that claim/imply that surgery is unnessecary for most people who have it.