View Full Version : What's this called

19th December 2007, 12:10 AM
I had the surgery for scoliosis and my surgeon said to me a couple of days after "Oh and I also put a small in your back because you didn't have one before it was flat"

what is it called when the back is flat? is it lordosis or kyphosis? I'm confused.

19th December 2007, 01:12 AM
It's hypolordosis. Everyone is supposed to have a natural lordosis which forms the small of their back, and "hypo-" means "too little" (it's the opposite of "hyper-" which means "too much").

This condition can also be called "Flatback", but that term is generally used to describe a hypolordosis that is the unwanted result of surgery, usually using an old, obsolete style of rod.

Hope that makes sense! :-)

19th December 2007, 10:01 AM
I also have hypolordosis (not caused by the surgery) but he didn't manage to restore it during my op cos everything was too stiff! :P Guess I'm just a typical stubborn Taurean through and through :glee: :glee: :glee:

19th December 2007, 03:27 PM
thanks Toni and Gilly, I didn't know what it was called. I knew flatback could happen as a result of surgery but mine was cured by surgery. hehe lol. Oh the things these people can do. I love being curvey. heh!

19th December 2007, 03:30 PM
...Ahhhh, my mum (who kindly passed on the scoliosis to me, bless her) has an extremely sunken small of her back, I mean you can put your fist in it. So is what she has called hyperlordosis?
Ohhh you learn something every day. That's so interesting.

19th December 2007, 09:19 PM
Yep, you've got the idea! 8)

20th December 2007, 01:46 PM
Guess I'm just a typical stubborn Taurean through and through

You 'n me both Gilly. Another thing I find with us Taureans is that we tend not to believe in all that astrology nonsense!! :glee:

20th December 2007, 04:01 PM
Ah well, that all depends....if it's good I might lean towards thinking there *could* be something in it, but if it's bad then it's obviously all a load of rubbish!!! :glee: :glee: :glee: