PDA

View Full Version : Scoliosis and Kidney problems

andrea
10th September 2004, 10:27 AM
Hi guys

Hope you all feel better soon. While we are on the subject of kidneys I thought I'd ask whether there was any truth in the rumour of a link between scoli and kidney probs (perhaps this should have been a new thread?!). Erin has a renal reflux and as such is on indefinite trimethoprim to stop her getting urine infections. In my early (albeit limited) research on infantile scoli, I came across the suggestion of a link between the 2.

Anyone know if this is fact or fiction?
Cheers
Andrea

jfkimberly
10th September 2004, 10:34 AM
Andrea: I was born with one "horseshoe" kidney, which is a common associated phenomenon with some congenital scoliosis syndrome.

sins
10th September 2004, 10:48 AM
I've had only one kidney infection in my life and I have no reason to believe that I have any kidney abnormality.I had idiopathic infantile scoliosis and x rays show no obvious congenital signs.There are some here who have one kidney only or have a displaced kidney.
Sins

DublinPauline
10th September 2004, 10:58 AM
I have congenital scoliosis but have never had any kidney problems. Mmmm, how can I check whether I have one or two kidneys??? Or do I want to know? :-o

sins
10th September 2004, 11:42 AM
I had previously placed a link to this article on congenital scoliosis in infants in the medical forum.It should explain some of the questions being raised.
"Among children with congenital spinal anomalies 30%60% are reported to have anomalies at sites other than the spine. The most common of such sites are genitourinary tract, cardiac system, the spinal cord, and the cervical spine."
http://pgmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/78/922/469
Sins

Lieve
10th September 2004, 12:25 PM
no kidney problems in my case (adolescent idiopatic scoliosis)

tonibunny
10th September 2004, 12:35 PM
I went through a phase of suffering cystitis and kidney infections about 8 years ago, and when I had an ultrasound scan to check it out the doctors said they could only find one kidney "but that is quite common with scoliosis".

A few years later, my other kidney showed up on a bone scan....because my insides are so messed up through infantile scoliosis, it's somehow ended up situated just underneath my heart!

sins
10th September 2004, 12:54 PM
Andrea,
I would like to stress that there's every chance that Erin's condition is coincidental as she has idiopathic scoliosis.If you feel worried about it be sure to raise it with your doctors at your next appointment.I'm sure they could arrange an ultrasound if they felt it was related.What investigations have they carried out to investigate this complaint? Of course they'd have tp remove the plaster to do an ultrasound.
Sins

titch
10th September 2004, 01:05 PM
From what I have read, there does seem to be a broad association between kidney defects and vertebral anomalies, although I think this is more common with congenital scoliosis, where there is often a failure of one or more vertebrae to develop properly. I've read stuff that suggests that this is because the spine, heart and kidneys develop at much the same time, so that if there is anything to disturb the development various parts of the body will all get some effect.

There is also an association of "anomalies" called VACTERL, which is a series of things which may all be associated with each other and is often associated with congenital scoliosis resulting from the vertebral anomalies. It seems quite difficult to find good information on this (I found quite a few sites that had various fallacies on them), but this (http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/heart-encyclopedia/disease/syndrome/vacterl.htm) site has a good basic breakdown of it.

titch
10th September 2004, 01:08 PM
I'd also like to second sins on the fact that there really shouldn't be much cause for worry in Erin's case, that although there may be a link it shouldn't mean that there are any other lurking conditions or anything, especially as her scoliosis is infantile rather than congenital :-)

M.Magudulela
10th September 2004, 01:28 PM
I have congenital scoliosis but I don't know if I only have one kidney and I've never experience any problem with them.

Maria

andrea
10th September 2004, 01:59 PM
Thanks for all your replies to my question. I think that in Erin's case it probably is coincidental and I'm not too worried. Erin has had an ultrasound of her kidneys, a DMSA and another test I can't remember the name of where they fill your bladder with a solution until it's literally bursting and then xray you while you wee (not nice). She'll have another DMSA next year to make sure both her kidneys are working equally.

Thanks again
A

gabrielle
10th September 2004, 11:03 PM
Over the past couple of months I've been reading/learning much more about scoliosis than I ever have. Kidney problems is a topic that struck me because a) I almost lost one kidney when I was 4 and b) I was diagnosed w/scoli late- 23 years old. Of the three ortho-docs I've seen so far none have given me any REAL info regarding my case. Mostly it's been: "yeah, it's really bad. you need surgery". Until recently I thought my scoliosis was idiopathic, but I have my doubts now. Can't wait to see what happens with new doc next wk. - this (link) is something I plan on talking to him about.

jfkimberly
10th September 2004, 11:05 PM
Pauline and M. Magudulela: Now that you are both adults, if you haven't experienced problems with your kidney(s) so far, it probably is not significant whether you have one or two. However, just to be cautious, at your next general checkup, mention the possibility of undetected congenital kidney anomalies to your physician, and ask for a test of your kidney function. If they're working properly (as yours would have to be to have gotten to adulthood without problems), it doesn't seem to matter what shape they're in. Just make sure they're working.

I've never had a problem with my single kidney. My urinary tract functions properly (I did have one UTI about 7 years ago, but I'd been drinking nothing but high-caffeine carbonated soft drinks at the time, and I just switched to water for a week). At my last regular checkup in July, my doctor ordered a blood test to see if my kidneys are filtering properly. The results were fine, I assume, because they didn't call me back for any further tests or treatment.