PDA

View Full Version : Had a horrible accident

tonibunny
9th September 2004, 01:34 PM
Hi everyone,

So much for getting to work on a really cool bid this week. On Monday afternoon, after I'd arrived in Sheffield ready to go to a gynae appointment on Tuesday, I slipped down the stairs in my friend's house and banged my back really hard.

I was OK for a bit, then after an hour or so the pain got really bad so I took some painkillers and went to lie down. The pain got worse and worse and when my friend got in from work he called NHS Direct, who sent an ambulance out. By the time the ambulance arrived I couldn't move without screaming and they had to get another ambulance crew out so I could have morphine and gas-and-air. In the end they had to take me out on a stretcher.....it was horrible, and they had to move loads of furniture (including three bookcases) in order to get me round the upper landing and down the stairs :cry: When we got to the hospital I passed out because the pain was so bad. They strapped me to a spinal board and put a stiff neck collar on me, with tape across my forehead so I couldnt move at all, and I stayed like that for the whole night - they thought I had broken my back and wouldnt let me drink anything in case I had to have surgery.

I had a load of x-rays taken and luckily my spine and the fusions were all OK so they decided I'd just briefly unsettled the metalwork in my back and caught some nerves that don't usually see much action. I found I couldn't wee at all so they put a catheter in - that was really scary, I thought I'd really damaged myself :ph34r: - and I had absolutely tons of morphine given to me via two things in my arm (an intrevenous cannula and a subcutaneous thingy that lets the stuff seep in under the skin, but doesn't go directly into the bloodstream).

In the end they couldn't do much apart from give me pain relief and wait for the pain to settle down. I was transferred to a ward and had a fab bed which allowed me to sit up at the touch of a button, so I could practice moving my back without any effort. I hated being in there so I really pushed myself to get moving and as soon as I could stand I got my friend to drive me home.....although I threw up in the car on the way because I was in so much pain :woe:

I'm now at my friend's house, sleeping off the effects of all the morphine and trying not to move too much, whilst also trying to get on with this bid work.....I feel absolutely horrible and I missed the gynae appointment that I'd spent weeks getting emotionally prepared for too :cry:. I am all wibbly and emotional and very scared that work are going to have a go at me because I missed the big deadline on Tuesday night :(

Oh well.....looking on the bright side - I have now got a full set of up-to-date x-rays, cos I told the orthopaedic consultant about SSO and how useful our gallery is, and he kindly allowed me to keep them. So, when I am better, I will get them all scanned in!

LinnyLou
9th September 2004, 01:43 PM
Omygollygosh Tonibun, thats completely petrifying. I say this because I think the majority of us have an avid fear about doing anything to our backs. Reading your stoy made me cringe like I haven't cringed in a long time.
DONT GET ON A HORSE WILL YOU?! Oh wait, thats Blair...

Anyway, enough of the funny funnies, get better you tough nut.

(Im still cringing...)

Liv
9th September 2004, 01:47 PM
Uuh Tonibuns... :woe: What an awful experience! :cry: Work will understand it hopefully.. You have to think about your health right now!
:hug:

Little~shedevil~dee
9th September 2004, 01:53 PM
awwwwww toni that sounds nasty :hug: hope your feeling better soon
work will understand your health must come first :squeeze:

DublinPauline
9th September 2004, 02:07 PM
Oh Toni, you poor thing. :hug: What a dreadful thing to happen to you, especially when you were already under pressure from work and so looking forward to getting the gynae appointment behind you. I would have been in a complete panic if I was you on Monday night with everyone working on the assumption that your back had been broken.
I'm so happy that no serious damage seems to have been done.
Now make sure you rest up. Work will understand. Your health is more important.

sins
9th September 2004, 02:37 PM
Oh my Gosh, that's dreadful Toni.
Thank goodness the metalwork is ok but you must have given your muscles an almighty jarring.I can only imagine how you must have felt being taken off on a stretcher and the shock your friends must have had.
get better soon and don't try to do too much.If you're not better in two or three days make sure you follow it up with a good spine consultant.
OOOOuch.!

ivanleg
9th September 2004, 02:49 PM
Sounds awful. Hope you get better soon.
Don't worry about work too much, any accident that causes pain on that scale won't be held against you.

andrea
9th September 2004, 03:18 PM
Aww, Toni, that's just awful. Wish we were all there to give you a big hug and to wish the pain away for you. That all just sounds horrendous - you poor thing. If work take issue with this, then they don't deserve you, but I'm sure they won't.

Rest up and take care of yourself. Hope you're back on your feet soon.

Love
A&E
(no pun intended)

mark
9th September 2004, 04:51 PM
Ouch that sounded really painful and scary i hope you start feeling feeling better soon Toni

Take care of yourself

Mark

Kaja
9th September 2004, 06:07 PM
Awww, that's awful :cry: I'm always scared something like that will happen to me. I'm glad you're okay though, that you didn't break or damage anything :squeeze: Feel better soon!

BlueIce
9th September 2004, 07:15 PM
oh my god that's horrible.. But please don't push yourself too hard right now, just rest because your health is far more important! Hope you'll feel better soon!!!

jfkimberly
9th September 2004, 07:56 PM
Awwww, Toni! I'm so sorry! You must have been so scared while in hospital, not sure what you'd done to your back! How are you now? Wow.

:squeeze: Feel better!

titch
9th September 2004, 08:16 PM
Oh no! I really hope you're feeling a bit better now, and the pain is continuing to subside :hug:

floralgypsy
9th September 2004, 09:06 PM
I'm so glad that you are okay, Toni, and sad that you missed your gynae appointment. When will you be going back home? I look forward to seeing your new x-rays, I only wish you had been able to get them in different circumstances! :squeeze:

lindzi_11
9th September 2004, 09:12 PM
aw toni hunnie!! I'm sorry to hear that! Don't push urself to hard.... feel better hun!!!!!! :squeeze:

gabrielle
9th September 2004, 09:38 PM
No doubt about it- having anything bad happen to my back is a serious fear of mine. Can't imagine (don't think I want to) how you felt! I am so glad you are ok. Take the time you need for yourself- life will go on- your health is most important!

Carly
9th September 2004, 11:19 PM
Oh my gosh! You are one brave soul! Get Better soon!

Lieve
9th September 2004, 11:28 PM
Oh Toni, that's awful. Be careful and don't push yourself. Big hugs and I'll hope you're feeling better soon.

Kayla
10th September 2004, 12:20 AM
awww my big big sistah! :squeeze: hope ya feel better!

Joy
10th September 2004, 05:05 AM
Oh Toni, that's horrible. You must have been so scared!! :squeeze: I'm glad that you didn't break your back and I hope you start feeling better really soon. Don't you go worrying about work, you just focus on getting better! *more hugs* (gentle ones!)

tonibunny
10th September 2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks so much everyone. I am feeling a lot better now, but still very sore. I've bruised my back quite badly. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what our resident "experts" (Titch, Sins etc) have to say about my x-rays.....cos it looks like I have a Harrington rod running all the way from T1 to L3, which I didn't realise I had before (this instrumentation was put in when I was 18, as a replacement for the Harrington that ran from T1-T12 that you can see in the x-ray from when I was ten). I knew I had a long rod and a thing with some screws in at the bottom, and that this was called a "Zielke", but I thought the rod and the screws were all part of the same instrumentation. Intriguing!!

sins
10th September 2004, 11:49 AM
I'm delighted you're feeling better.You had us very worried Madam!!
You were certainly alert when you asked for your x rays and managed to get the news about sso out to the consultant!! :-D
I can't wait to see them.....
Sins

titch
10th September 2004, 12:11 PM
I'm just so glad to hear that you are feeling better! I remember how terrifying (not to mention exceptionally painful) it was when I fell on ice back at the end of 1999. Luckily enough, I didn't do anything to dislodge rods or otherwise disturb my fusion either - I guess we're pretty resilient as long as we don't make a habit of it. Anyway, :hug: :squeeze: Take it easy, get better, and we look forward to seeing the xrays :-)

Liv
10th September 2004, 12:28 PM
I'm so happy to hear that you're feeling better, hon! :niceone: Just be careful when you're taking stairs again... Take it eeeeeasy!

M.Magudulela
10th September 2004, 12:43 PM
Sorry you had such an accident, but it's good to know nothing worse happened and that you feeling better.

Take care.

Maria

Joy
10th September 2004, 09:16 PM
I'm glad you're feeling better. And I look forward to seeing your x-rays. Boy you have a long fusion!! Please don't push yourself to hard. We don't want you getting hurt again.

jfkimberly
10th September 2004, 10:15 PM
I'm so glad you're feeling better, Toni... One last *cringe* from me, as I try to put the details of your accident out of my mind. Keep healing, and try to stay on your feet, will you?

I think this hug :hug: looks more gentle than this one :squeeze: and since you're probably still in a great deal of pain, I'll use the gentle one. Take care of yourself, Toni... :hug:

Marti
11th September 2004, 10:32 PM
You must have been so terrified! I'm so happy that you're okay. :-) I hope you're back is back to normal soon! :bear: :hug:

Sarah
12th September 2004, 10:24 PM
Cringes at reading it! Get better soon

Jonny
14th September 2004, 08:35 PM
Charlotte told me roughly what happened... scared me too! Glad you're back on track, and best of luck with pain relief. No, not the best circumstances to get x-rays in were they!

:hug: we could both do with the hug being gentle I think.

BarmyArmy
15th September 2004, 01:57 AM
Oh my gawd I've just read this thread :-o , you must have been so scared Toni. I'm so pleased that nothing really serious was wrong and that you are starting to feel better :squeeze: