PDA

View Full Version : pilates????

Steph135
27th November 2007, 05:59 PM
So i was watching tv the other day and Rebecca Romijn (from Ugly Betty for those that watch) was talking about how she keeps in shape and stuff.. and then she said that she started doing pilates in her early twenties because she had scoliosis as a teen and that helped alot and even straightened her out... i don't know if this is just a good case or not.. but anyone have any insight if this is likely or not with pilates??

Amazed Jean
27th November 2007, 07:07 PM
Pilates has been a topic here a while back I think. I cannot remember who or where but I look through some old stuff and see if I can find it for you.

MOB
27th November 2007, 08:36 PM
I have been going to pilates for a couple of weeks it has really helped me a lot.

caro
27th November 2007, 09:02 PM
As we always say everyone's backs are different. I tried pilates for my scoliosis and was quite disappointed that it didn't seem to help at all. My consultant said that you really do need to do 1 to 1 as spines with scoliosis are all individual. However we did do one exercise rolling up and down a spikey rubber ball which was wonderful :P

Steph135
28th November 2007, 06:50 AM
ok thanks! i tried finding a previous thread on pilates but i couldn't find one :( unless i'm looking in the wrong place or something...

do u guys think that it would be best to get one on one lessons with someone that knows a bit about scoliosis so the exercises are catered to my back??? i dunno if that would be hard to find or probably quite expensive.. i dunno...

guybrush
28th November 2007, 12:27 PM
HI

i have scoliosis and kyphosis and used to get alot of pain around the top of my pelvis (at the back) and shoulder.

I started pilates about march and i has helps me lots. I have one on one sessions but they are quite expensive (35 hour) and i go 2 - 3 times a month and do some of the exercises (the ones that dont require machines) at home.

I had loads and LOADS of physio which did not help at all, but pilates has really helped me manage my pains.

I have to say though, it takes time - you won't see results in the first few weeks, it may be months, but in the long run, for me it has been really worth it.

the thing about pilates is that its really easy to do wrong and the slightest adjustment here and there when doing the exercises can make a lot of difference.

i'd def recommend one on one if you can - good luck G

jamielynn
3rd January 2008, 10:18 PM
Hi I do loads of pilates for my pain and stiffness
I don't think that the pilates keep the curve into place but they diffinetly help me get through the day! :niceone: