PDA

View Full Version : Hello! from another (older) newbie!

gabrielle
9th September 2004, 02:13 AM
Hi! I'm 42 yrs old and live in Pennsylvania, USA. I have lumbar scoliosis (about 80 degrees now). I was 1st diagnosed at 23 after the birth of my son and at that time my curve was 62 degrees. I have recently decided to look into having surgery- the progression and pain get worse with each passing year. So, I have my first appt. next week with an Ortho surgeon here in PA. (last one I saw was about 2 yrs ago in CA- he was a bit curt- didn't seem to understand I was a human being, not a profile on a chart). I have looked at some of your pics here and read some of your posts and I find them encouraging. :spin: Crazy as it sounds, I'm not really afraid of surgery. At this point I look forward to some relief from being crooked and having- at times- excrutiating pain. Knowing there are other people in the world who know what these things are like kind of helps me keep some perspective. I'm not alone and I could be worse off. So, thanks to all of you who contribute your stories and pics! I hope I can share mine, too.

~gabrielle

Amazed Jean
9th September 2004, 02:23 AM
Hey Gabielle. I'm fairly new too but I'm older than you -53 and in Oklahoma. I was born and grew up in northern Indiana, Yep its kind of nice having a doctor that doesn't look at you like a science project. I get soooo tired of being stared at. OK it looks weird but its what I got. I've got some 140 degree curves and more compensating curves and all kinds of really screwed up xrays. I'll figure out how to get pictures of them to post. In the meantime Welcome Y'all ! That's Okie for glad you're here.

lindzi_11
9th September 2004, 02:33 AM
Hey! My name is Lindsay and i'm 15 and live in Ontario Canada. And my curves are 57 and 31 and i'm getting sugeory on November 10th. Welcome welcome!

Blair
9th September 2004, 03:23 AM
Hey Gabrielle! Welcome!
I live in Michigan, but travelled to Pittsburgh, PA to see a doctor at the University of Pittsburgh for my scoliosis around a year and a half ago... Dr. Donaldson was his name. He was recommend to me by a friend, and I would really recommend him if you happen to need any second opinions....

jfkimberly
9th September 2004, 04:28 AM
Hi Gabrielle! Welcome to SSO! My appointment is on Tuesday next week, and I'll be seeing an scoli expert for the first time in over a decade. I'm seeking surgery (and looking forward to it), too. Let's compare notes after our consults next week!

andrea
9th September 2004, 10:06 AM
Hi Gabrielle and welcome to the group. My daughter has infantile scoli and is currently in her first plaster jacket, due to be replaced in about 10 days. Good luck with the appointment.

Andrea

floralgypsy
9th September 2004, 11:24 AM
Welcome to SSO, Gabrielle.
My name is Charlotte and I had surgery two years ago to correct a 56 degree thoracic curve. I hope we can answer any questions you may have - we look forward to hearing all about you. Good luck with your forth-coming appointment!

BlueIce
9th September 2004, 11:51 AM
Hey, welcome! My name is Leen and I'm from Belgium. (20y old) I've just had surgery about 2.5 months ago, to correct a double curve that was 61 and 52.

sins
9th September 2004, 12:47 PM
Hi Gabrielle and welcome.
I'm 37 and had surgery in 1983.My curves post op are 110/60.
Hope you like it here.
Sinead.

gabrielle
9th September 2004, 03:45 PM
Many thanks for all the welcoming! I'll be sure to post whatever results I get from my Dr next week- maybe I can get a pic of my xray, too. I have done a lot of searching online for pre-/post-op xray pics for scoliosis and found the most here! I'm amazed at some of them.
~gabrielle

Little~shedevil~dee
9th September 2004, 03:47 PM
Hi Gabrielle welcome to sso :welcome: :welcome2:

Kaja
9th September 2004, 07:11 PM
Welcome! I'm 15 in a few days, and from Norway. I had surgery a year ago, to correct two of my three curves. Hope to see you around :D

titch
9th September 2004, 09:23 PM
Welcome! I'm 31 and had a surgery in 1994 for a 60 degree curve, and a revision surgery in 2002. :welcome:

Marti
11th September 2004, 11:40 PM
Welcome! I'm 15 and had surgery in July 03 for my 45 degree curve. I'm looking forward to hearing about how your appointment goes!
BTW, I'm from Chicago.

Kayla
12th September 2004, 02:13 AM
Welcome I am 14 and live in California

Lieve
12th September 2004, 10:27 PM
Welcome to SSO Gabrielle! My name is Lieve, I'm 31 years old and I live in Belgium.

Jonny
15th September 2004, 12:22 AM
Hiya Gabrielle :wave: I had anterior/posterior surgery and thoracoplasty in July for roughly 40/60 curves.

BarmyArmy
15th September 2004, 03:26 AM
Welcome to the site Gabrielle :wave:

I've never had surgery but I wanted to say hi and I hope you enjoy being part of our family :D

BTW my name is Leona, I'm 28 and from Dundee in Scotland.

gabrielle
15th September 2004, 05:29 AM
More thanks for more welcoming!

Scotland, huh? I would love to see your country one day. I don't know if it's an American point of view or what, but Scotland seems to be one of the few places left in Western Europe (still) shrouded in mysteries and legends. Does it get really cold there?

Jonny- So, you had surgery recently... What are your curves now? Are you pleased with the outcome? How are you healing?... like, are you pretty much being able to do most "normal" things? still much pain? I see a new dr on Thurs, getting psyched for surgery at some point soon... guess I'm full of questions!

BarmyArmy
15th September 2004, 06:36 AM
Don't worry you're allowed to be full of questions. And I'm sure that Jonny will be glad to answer them for you.

Yes everything you have heard about Scottish weather is true. It's normally cold and wet. There's and old saying here that if you don't like the weather wait 15 minutes and another season will be along. :D Our summer is usually about 2 weeks at some point in August cause most of the other time it's raining, dull or snowing. But don't let that put you off, Scotland's a lovely place. :spin:

Jonny
16th September 2004, 11:35 PM
Very glad to answer them :-)

Not sure what my curves are exactly, but I'm pretty sure they're both now under 20 degrees. Will find out Monday 27th, and can show everyone! Definitely pleased with the outcome, although I'm in more pain than I was pre-op still. Won't last for long though I'm sure. I can do most everyday things, definitely, bar sports and strenuous things like moving bookcases about (:oops:) My scars are looking very good though :-)

Questions are the best way of learning!

Pain: I'm not in much everyday pain but some things can bring it back badly like playing the violin. It's all subsiding though!

Leona: been to Edinburgh and Glasgow twice, rained once. :-P

gabrielle
16th September 2004, 11:51 PM
Hey! That's great! It's also very encouraging. Sorry to hear 'bout the violin playing, though. I really love listening to string instruments. I studied flute for about 8 years when I was young. Umm... moving bookcases?! :shock:

sins
17th September 2004, 12:05 AM
be careful moving that bookacse Jonny,it cost a small fortune!!!
Oh yes and don't strain your newly fused spine..........
Sins