PDA

View Full Version : Appointment tomorrow.....

Abbi
7th September 2004, 06:29 PM
Hey Guys.....Well its actaually really werid but yeah, my appointment is tomorrow....ahh freaky! It seemed like ages when I found out three weeks ago, but its now here. It's kinna really good in a way, I really wanna know what my curve(s) is/are....so well I will keep y'all updated as and when I here anything!

Abbi xox

It would be cool if you could pray for me

lindzi_11
7th September 2004, 06:32 PM
i'm praying for u hun! Everything will go great!! x0x0! :kiss:

sins
7th September 2004, 06:38 PM
Hi Abbi,
best of luck tomorrow and we'll be thinking of you and saying a prayer.
Remember......PMA (positive mental attitude).
:bear:

Little~shedevil~dee
7th September 2004, 06:46 PM
good luck for tomrrow i will be thinking of you :squeeze:

BlueIce
7th September 2004, 07:07 PM
we'll be thinking of you. Good luck tomorrow and keep us updated!

DublinPauline
7th September 2004, 07:09 PM
Good luck tomorrow Abbi. :-)

Abbi
7th September 2004, 08:17 PM
Thnx guys.....its just about 15hours now....eek!
I am just going to go in and expect the worst so like if he says surgery then i won't be like WHAT?!?!! lol

thnx again guys!

andrea
7th September 2004, 08:41 PM
Good luck Abbi. We'll all be there with you in spirit. Let us know how it goes.
Andrea

Crazy16girl
7th September 2004, 10:22 PM
Which hospital are you at? sorry im not very good at keeping updatre with posts! and good luck!

Abbi
7th September 2004, 10:35 PM
I am at Musgrave park hospital in Belfast. I am another Irish member.....lol!
I will keep y'all updated as to what happens! thnx again mwwah :bear:

Lieve
7th September 2004, 10:42 PM
Good luck tomorrow Abbi! Keep us updated! ;-)

Crazy16girl
7th September 2004, 11:09 PM
I remember when i had my first appointment, i was excited more than nervous. Dunno why...i guess i just wanted to tell everyone what was wrong with me and see how bad it was!

jfkimberly
7th September 2004, 11:15 PM
Mine is in a week, and I'm more excited than nervous. But, then, I've been through all this before, so I know what to expect. I'm just trying to get back into the system, and hopefully get revision surgery.

Jonny
7th September 2004, 11:29 PM
Good luck Abbi - remember what I said :-)

Liv
8th September 2004, 12:04 AM
Good luck! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!! :-)

*sends all positive vibes to Belfast*

Blair
8th September 2004, 03:33 AM
Best of luck Abbi!

Marti
8th September 2004, 05:05 AM
Good luck Abbi! Be sure to tell us what happens, and I'll try to check in tomorrow and see! *best wishes*

Joy
8th September 2004, 05:37 AM
Good Luck Abbi. I'll be thinking of you and I'll say a prayer.

jfkimberly
8th September 2004, 06:43 AM
How did it go, Abbi?

Abbi
8th September 2004, 02:53 PM
Hey Guys....well I guess y'all wanna know how my appointment went, so here goes-------

Arrived around 10am and waited a bit, then had my xrays (about 4) so that took a while, then I waited a bit more, and went in to see Mr hamilton (the surgeon) he examined my back, measured it, and took down lengths of my legs and stuff like that. He also did my reflexes and tickled my tummy :rofl: ( :???: no idea why, something to do with your refelxes or sumthing). So i got dressed and he told me to come to his office and see the xrays, and what i saw i so did not expect!!!! my spine was so majorly curved. I had two curves, both of which were 80 degrees!!!!! :help:
So we sat down and he talked for a bit, i wasnt really concentrating, he said something about how it wouldnt affect my breathing, or any organs, which was good. he also said that it would progress slowly throughout my adult life, so like when i am 40 it could be 120*

So then he went over my options.....he said 3
1. We could do nothing, and we could just leave it
2. Surgery to hold the curve in place and to stop it progressing
3.Surgery to correct the curve

So......we have went for number three!!! this is such a shock! I mean i knew it was a possiblity but like....uhhh i dunno.
The waiting list i am on is the adult one, and he operates on two adults per month. There are currently 22 adults on it, so I may not get operated until next year!!!!!
He also asked me what i wanted to do, and I said nursing, and he said, "ah well i don't think that is a good idea!" He told me I should re think my career. So now i have to finish off my course of Social care in tech, and take a year out to think what i wanna do, and start uni in sept 2006 instead of 2005 with my friends :nut:

Well thats that.....I soooooooo would like y'all to pray for me, I need so much hugs!!!
Talk to y'all later. Any advice would b cool, like what happens now (tests and stuff?)
xoxox

Crazy16girl
8th September 2004, 02:58 PM
Im sorry to hear they have grown so much. *hugs* Ive had the operation to correct my curves (80,40,22) and now its great a year on, you made the right choice!
Just never think your doing the wrong thing, afterwards when your wearing nice clothes to fit properly and slightly taller your understand exactly what i mean!!!be brave. And keep smiling. :clap: :hug:

Carly
8th September 2004, 03:16 PM
I am sorry to hear that you have to have surgury but i am happy to hear you finally have some answers. Did he say anthing about the pian? And why cant you be a nurse?

DublinPauline
8th September 2004, 03:31 PM
Well at least you have that appointment behind you Abbi and you know that there is a "plan" to look after your scoliosis!

I suppose he would think that the physical work and amount of time on your feet as a nurse could exacerbate any back pain you might have later in life. There are also a lot of downsides to sitting over a PC on a daily basis, take it from me. :-)

Pikey
8th September 2004, 05:35 PM
Oh Abbi , iguess it hasnt all sunk in yet .I guess nursing will mean a lot of bending and you would need a real strong back , that sucks .Ok , i prayed for you and I hope it helps .I hope the Op isnt to far off and that you can get back on with your life , i'm sure your faith will be a big help to you .Take care sweetheart ,Pikey xx

ivanleg
8th September 2004, 05:42 PM
Sorry to hear about those curves Abbi, it took me 6 years of bracing to achieve that magnitude. What is it about Ireland and severe curves that don't get picked up or treated properly?
Do they know if you've stopped growing or the curves have stopped deteriorating?
I'll be thinking of you and I'm sure everyone here is wishing you every success.

sins
8th September 2004, 06:03 PM
I'm not shocked by the magnitude of the curves Abbi but I'm disgusted by the length of time you'll have to wait for your surgery.A year is an incredible length of time to spend on a waiting list.I don't understand why a curve of that size shouldn't be given priority over someone with a lesser curve.Surely those with the greater need should receive treatment first?
Remember we're here for you any time of day or night, and we'll be right behind you all the way.
Sinead.

Liv
8th September 2004, 06:19 PM
That's just terrible, Abbi. :-( I agree with Sins.... You shouldn't be on a 1-year waiting list with this kind of scoliosis! You can always talk to me on msn.. Take care, honey. :hug:

BlueIce
8th September 2004, 06:20 PM
Just keep in mind that you're doing the right thing. I myself did NOT look forward to my surgery at all, but I have to admit it's been worth it so far. I'm sure it's one hell of a shock right know, but just let it sink in and try to keep a positive mind. We're all here for you!

Abbi
8th September 2004, 06:43 PM
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Impact'>Pikey ~ I am not 100% sure of whn the op will be, he has got 22 people on it already and he does 2 operations on adults per month, so it may not be to July 2005...which is an awful long wait!!

Ivanleg ~ The NHS sucks big time, some people wait up to 18months for surgery!!!! I have stopped growing but he said that if I did have the surgery my curves would progress slowly as time went on, so surgery is the best option I suppose.

Sinead ~ I totally agree with you, I feel I should be seen earlier too....grrr stupid NHS *makes a face* I think another letter to the PM is in order. :hammer:

Lindz is having surgery soon is that right? How long did she have to wait?

Does anyone know what'll happen now? :???: I mean he mentioned tests....what sorta tests, I know maybe an MRI....! The operation usually takes place in Thr Royal Victoria hospital in Belfast by the way.

thnx for all your support guys xx</span></span>

andrea
8th September 2004, 07:56 PM
Aww Abbi, big hugs. I am so sorry that your curves were more severe than you thought and that surgery is now a reality. I agree with the others that 1 year is a long time to wait, esp if you are in pain. Many people on here (incl Erin) have had to have an MRI so perhaps that will be one of the tests. I'm sure the others who have had surgery will be able to help with what the others might be.

Take care sweetie and you know we're always here.
Andrea

jfkimberly
8th September 2004, 08:06 PM
Wow, Abbi... I'm so sorry to hear how bad it is. Unlike Sins, I am a bit surprised. I was really hoping they'd say it was only around 40 degrees, and say "We can do surgery if you want, but it's not necessary." Not at all like the reality.

But with a double curve of 80 degrees each, I think you made the best choice. Correct it as best you can now, while you're young. While you're waiting for your turn for surgery, are they doing anything to make sure it doesn't progress? Nobody likes them, but it seems a brace wouldn't be a bad idea for the wait. *ducks from all the boots being thrown at me*

I want to know, too... why is nursing out of the question? Is it the long hours on your feet?

Little~shedevil~dee
8th September 2004, 08:06 PM
i am so sorry abbi i just hope the year goes fast for you if you never need to chat we are here for you :squeeze: i rember when i had to wait for my breast reduction i had to wait over 5 years
i hope if i have to have surgery i wont have to wait to long

Becky
8th September 2004, 09:12 PM
I am going to have my operation at Hope Hospital in Salford Manchester, and the waiting list i was told is 6 - 9 months which will now be January - April. I hope its in Feb because im an accountant (trainee) and in jan we are recovering from christmas, march is my b-day, and april is the start of the new financial year. Obviously i dont really care when it is because i just want to get it done and get my back straight, but im taking it that i will have it in april or later then i dont get my hopes up!

I was told that i wont be told a date for my op until my pre-op tests which are 8 week before, so surely they must have the date sooner to know when the pre-op will be (if that makes sence!?!)

Im sorry to hear thet you will have to wait so long Abbi

Becky x x

Lieve
8th September 2004, 11:54 PM
Ooh Abbi, I'm sorry to hear the curves are a lot worse than you expected. It's such a shame you have to wait so long after your surgery.

Take care :hug:

Blair
9th September 2004, 12:10 AM
I'm so sorry Abbi. That's really awful! My wait for surgery (self imposed... I could have had it not quite 2 months after it was decided to be the best option) was I think around 5 months, and it was REALLY hard.

As far as presurgical testing:
I had Cat Scans, Bone Scans and MRI's done before surgery was decided to be my best option, mostly to see what the heck was making my mature, previously pretty straight back deteriorate so quickly.... My best friend's future Sister In Law didnt have to have any of those done before her surgery.

The only other ones I had to have done were simple blood tests before donating blood for my surgery (checking iron levels to make sure I wasn't anemic when I donated), a blood test a couple weeks before my surgery by my family doctor, and an EKG to make sure my heart was in good shape.

Joy
9th September 2004, 12:22 AM
Kim - my surgeon never gave me a brace because he said they aren't effective even for holding curves abouve about 45 degrees.

Abbi - I talked to you on MSN, but more hugs. :hug: It feels like you got hit with a bag of bricks whenyou first find out you need surgery, I know. And the waiting is no help either, I waited 11 months for my surgery. I hope you don't have to wait that long though it seem like you will. I'll be here if you need to talk, if I'm not online, you can alway e-mail me. Hope you get over the shock soon and start feeling a bit better.

By the way, there was a nurse with back problems in my ward when I had the surgery. She just didn't do the lifting.

floralgypsy
9th September 2004, 01:07 AM
There is something wrong with the Irish health system - there must be! I was almost glad that my curves progressed because I was adament that I was *not* going to have surgery if I had the choice. When my curve reached nearly 60 degrees, the doctor pretty much decided for me. I wouldn't change it though, my back doesn't cause me problems *touches wood* and I have been lucky to have a good correction. You will also be the same age as me when you have your surgery, I was 18 and that is *generally* quite late for scoliosis surgery. You will be fine, Abbi, and we are all here to support you when you need it.

lindzi_11
9th September 2004, 01:41 AM
Sorry 2 hear that hun

BlueIce
9th September 2004, 12:06 PM
about the tests, in my case they drew some blood (actually a lot since I got dizzy and normally I never get dizzy from that :-)) , asked me about what medicins I was taking, height, weight, that sort of stuff. Afterwards they did an MRI and that was it for me. Sometimes they check your lung capacity too.

At my first appointment I had some xrays taken for which I had to bend in different ways to see how flexible the bottom curve was so they knew how much of it would have to be fused.

If you feel like talking, you can always add me on msn.

sins
9th September 2004, 01:02 PM
The Health system in Northern Ireland Charlotte is part of the NHS system.The system in the Irish republic is the public health service run by a variety of health boards.Abbi is using the NHS.In the Irish republic my main criticism would be the referral system in getting people referred for surgery to the Dublin hospitals.Once they get there the treatment is first class.There are still many people falling through the cracks in the system but the people with the greater need are treated first.if Abbi was on this side of the border she'd be most likely given priority treatment.I can't get my head around the fact that someone with curves of that magnitude wouldn't be seen to first.Even 20 yrs ago I was admitted to hospital as a priority and jumped all queues due to the severity of my curves.

Joy
11th September 2004, 05:04 AM
I still had to go on the list and I was referred at 67 degrees and progressing quite fast. But I'm not sure if people with worse curves can jump the line.

Amazed Jean
11th September 2004, 05:25 AM
Abbi,
Trust me you don't want to play bullet proof and invincible until you are over 50 , have more curves that are bigger and you can't breathe to walk across the room not to mention the possibilities of other stresses possible on heart, liver, kidneys etc. Its a giant puzzle inside us and all those curves just scrunch stuff around. Now I'm on oxygen full time probably going to BiPap at night soon (Sexy huh) and looking a a major surgery that they haven't determined is even possible at this time. I think doing whatever it takes now sounds like a great idea. Gp for it.

Abbi
11th September 2004, 11:35 AM
aww man, I so feel for you 'amazed' you have been through a lot! I thought that I was bad! So are you saying that I should try and push for surgery quicker or what?
The thought of having surgery scares me sooooo much :cry:

sins
11th September 2004, 11:45 AM
I would actually push for surgery sooner,partly because of the curve magnitude but because of having to put your studies and university on hold.I don't doubt for a moment that your surgeon will get a good correction Abbi, We've seen people like Laura,a woman we knew from another site who's 100 degree curve was pulled back to 45 deg and Natasha who's 155 degree curve was greatly improved.
It's just that the worry about curve progression in the meantime making it a bit trickier and the fact that they haven't dealt with your pain.
I like your mother's style however and I reckon she'll make the necessary phone calls to have your surgery done as quickly as possible.
How I wish I'd had a mother like that!!
Sins

Becky
11th September 2004, 07:31 PM
The thought of having surgery scares me sooooo much
Is it weird that im quite excited about my operation? Everyone says that they are scarred, and i suppose i am a bit, but i really want to have my operation soon so then i can have a normal body.

I am quite scarred that something COULD go wrong, but theres only a tinsy wincy chance of that, and im just looking forward to recovering and getting on with my life!

Sorry that you dont feel the same abbi, but just think how easier life can be after! you just gotta be possitive!

BlueIce
11th September 2004, 08:52 PM
you're not weird angel :-). I was "scared" of surgery from the moment I knew I was having one untill we left home to go to the hospital. After walking through the door I just went numb or something. I wasn't nervous, scared, excited,... It was just something that had to be done and that was it for me. I still don't understand how that happend.

Blair
11th September 2004, 08:54 PM
Blue Ice- I can relate to that....
I really was in not the greatest state in the months leading up to my surgery. A nervous wreck.
But once I got to the hospital, I was completely mellowed out. Not scared, not even nervous. I just sat in that waiting room until they came to get me, complaining about how hungry I was... LOL

Marti
11th September 2004, 11:22 PM
You should not have to wait that long for your surgery! I only have a 45 degree curve and I only had to wait 6 months. a year is absurd, especially if you have pain and curves as large as yours. As much as I wanted my surgery, I would have been willing to wait at least twice as long as I waited if it meant someone in pain could go before me.

I'm so sorry that you have to have surgery, but it sounds like it's definitely the right thing to do.
*hugs*

Abbi
18th September 2004, 01:03 AM
sorry to bring this post up again, but I just can't be bothered to start a new one.....Angel said above that she was "excited" about her surgery, and I kinna I'm too....I just wanna get it all over and done with, qucikly, cos my back is so sore!
A few questions?: 1. What types of surgery is there....I mean I was told I may need two surgeries like one through my side and then another?
2.Will I still have back pain after my back is "fixed"?
3.How long will it take for me to get up and about again?

thnx guys for all your support and everything, your amazing....love ya all xx

titch
18th September 2004, 12:17 PM
Hi Abbi,

The 2 surgery approach is quite common, especially when there is a lumbar or thoracolumbar curve to correct - I had 2 surgeries 10 years ago, and more recently Jonny had a 2 stage surgery, with the stages done on 2 separate days, a week or so apart. However, there are cases, especially with single curves, where just an anterior surgery (through the side) is used, and quite often, for single and double curves, just a posterior surgery is done.

It's difficult to say if you'll still have pain after your back is fixed, as it's pretty variable from one person to the next, but what can be said is that for quite a while you'll have different pain from the surgery, and really the chances are very good that you'll get at least a very significant reduction, if not no pain at all once you're recovered :-)

Depending on what kind of surgery you have, and the policy of the hospital/surgeon, this will also be quite open to question. Usually you'll be up in about 2-3 days though, and starting to get around a bit more day by day after that. I was expected to be in for at least a fortnight after my first surgery, but made my escape after 10 days, and for the second one, if I'd lived locally to the hospital (rather than a 3-4 hour drive away) and not had some worries that I might have an infection, I'd have been out in a week, but as it was I was in for 12 days if I remember rightly.

I can understand the looking forward to it - I remember feeling much the same, to get it out of the way and have the rest of your life to get on with is certainly something to look forward to :-)

BlueIce
18th September 2004, 12:24 PM
Abbi, I just had surgery about 3 months ago and yes there is some pain but I think this is because I'm still recovering. The pain is different though, and depends on how active I am. After the real surgery pain was over (a month or so, after that you start to sleep better and get used to the new body) and before I picked up my regular life I didn't have much pain at all.

How long it'll take you to get up and about is a bit different for everyone. Some people don't need painkillers after surgery and others practically live on them. After about 6 weeks I started feeling much better, but I did notice improvements every day so that's nice :-)