PDA

View Full Version : New guy

pom82
5th November 2007, 04:16 PM
Hello everyone,
first of all let me say that im very happy to have found this forum and hope tat it will be able to help me with this damn back curve.

Ive had lordosis for a long time, its really severe, makes my lower gut stick out and makes me look very fat, even if im an athlete and very fit.

Can you please share with me any possibilities of reversing this condition and things that will make it better? (excercises, brace, stretching)
thank you so much

Amazed Jean
5th November 2007, 09:52 PM
Hello and welcome to SSO. Scoliosis is so frustrating partly because every case is different. There are lots of people here who can help and everyone will pop on and off here and will be glad to help. First they will want to know how old you are and where you are at. How big are your curves and who you are seeing. I always suggest that you start a notebook of questions to ask and write in the answers as you get them. Notebooks are great thing to take along to doctor visits to have all questions clarified etc.It actually slows the doctors down so you can note a quick answer too. Anyway I wanted to be sure you feel welcome and wish you good luck!

Little Ali
5th November 2007, 10:21 PM
Hi there :welcome2:

titch
5th November 2007, 10:58 PM
I don't honestly know to what extent it would help you, as they are aimed at correcting postural problems, rather than structural ones, but there are some targeted stretches which can be found in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Stretc...t/dp/1852239174 (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Stretching-Tony-Lycholat/dp/1852239174)

which may give you some ideas to add into any pre- and post-workout stretching that you do. It suggests programs for people with excess lordosis and for people with not enough lordosis.

I've been meaning to suggest this book as worth a look for anyone with kyphosis, lordosis or reduced lordosis for a while now! It's certainly helped my hubby with keeping himself from increasing his lordosis, something he's prone to doing with certain weights machines if he gets over eager with the weights, but it must be stressed that he doesn't have a structural hyperlordosis.

:welcome2:

jamielynn
7th November 2007, 01:19 AM
Hi i also just joined!!!
Maybe you should try some exercises and a brace... this should help you out:)

crkcallie
7th November 2007, 03:20 AM
Hello there and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you joined. You asked what sorts of things could be done to reverse this condition. I have very severe scoliosis and I have to do yoga stretches for the rest of my life. I know that yoga can help to improve your situation. It may not be able to correct it permanently but it can make it straight and make it so that you are no longer in pain.

pom82
18th November 2007, 03:18 PM
hi again,
wow , i completely forgot i posted here and this morning i woke up in pain and I really wanna fix this...thanks for everybody answers but isnt lordosis caused by weak lower abdomen muscles and weak hamstrings
could tightening these areeas up help with this condition??
i am really skeptical that strethes can make this better

titch
18th November 2007, 08:42 PM
There can be many factors, whinch have different relevance in different people. It is certainly possible for example for someone who does not have a structural kyphosis to develop the appearance of one if they suffer an injury which leads to shortening of the hamstrings, as this can have a knock on effect on the rest of the posture.

I would in no way expect stretching to cure a structural lordosis, but I would think that a program of appropriate stretches, along with core strengthening exercises, would at least help with comfort. If you have a strong postural component to the lordosis, this may help it - if it is stiff and/or almost entirely structural, there will probably be little to no correction to be gained, although good flexibility and core strength is always a good thing.

This is why I make the distinction between structural and postural - my husband does not have structural lordosis, but he did manage, by inappropriate use of a gym machine (weight was way to high and his form for the exercise was extremely poor), to give himself a protruding belly and a very tight back with an increased lordosis. It took a lot of work to get it back to where it had been, as everything that was overtightened needed stretching back out in addition to strengthening his abdominal muscles in the correct way.

Basically, all I was trying to get at is that in addition to some areas being weak (or apparently so), others will be tight, and so to more holistically treat it, you should probably address those areas (eg through stretching, and perhaps massage or myofascial release) in addition to trying to strengthen the core muscles. None of this answers the question of which came first - for example, is the pot belly and inability of the stomach muscles to hold it even as flat as you might expect for the size and shape of the lordosis the cause of the excessive lordosis, or symptomatic of it? Almost certainly it is a bit of both. I can say from my own experience that I had a lordotic pot belly, and despite developing strong enough stomach muscles to be able to outdo almost anyone at my school for sit ups and leg raises, I was never able to get it to come back in. Some people have a lot of success with exercises though, such as my husband.

Whatever the case, I hope you can find a program that works for you - no matter what other effect it has, strengthening your core muscles, even if that is all you pursue, should help with your back pain :-)

jamielynn
27th November 2007, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by pom82@Nov 5 2007, 07:16 AM
Hello everyone,
first of all let me say that im very happy to have found this forum and hope tat it will be able to help me with this damn back curve.

Ive had lordosis for a long time, its really severe, makes my lower gut stick out and makes me look very fat, even if im an athlete and very fit.

Can you please share with me any possibilities of reversing this condition and things that will make it better? (excercises, brace, stretching)
thank you so much
Hi and welcome!!!!
Hope that you find this ite helpful!! :spin:

Bren
26th January 2008, 08:04 AM
I also have the same problem and want to try some exercises to get rid of the gut look.