PDA

View Full Version : has anyones brace made their curve worse?

jamielynn
4th November 2007, 08:09 PM
Hi im just curious.. i was diangnosed with scoliosis in 6th drade and wore the Boston Brace up until right now, 9th grade... I was shocked when i saw that my most recent xrays, from 2 days ago, were worse than when i started. i was informed that i need surgery.

Marti
4th November 2007, 08:14 PM
hey, and welcome!

I wore a brace at night from 7th grade until my surgery at the end of 8th grade. My curve did progress while wearing the brace. However, it's not that the brace makes the curve worse, but rather that it just cant hold it stable.

jamielynn
4th November 2007, 08:17 PM
yes i agree with you... im just really nervous about surgery any hints????

scolioscott
9th November 2007, 05:45 PM
Hi Jamielynn

My daughter has just had surgery so if you have any questions, ask away. Also, you'll find a lot more people reply about surgery on the general forum.

H 8)

kwok
20th December 2007, 10:30 AM
to what i know
after u start wearing the brace
it is common for ppl to have their scoliosis worse than b4

actually...
in my case...
it seems brace is no use at all

starting cubb angle is 30 degree...
after wearing brace....3 months later...40 degree...
then i wore the brace for 3 years...
the angle was then up to 60....

then i refused to wear it any more..
now...7 years after i was diagnosed to have scoliosis...
the angle keeps to be 60 degree.... :cry:

RugbyLaura
20th December 2007, 11:01 AM
Welcome Kwok, I'd love to know some more about you... How old are you now & have your doctors suggested surgery?

As Marti said, the brace will not have made your curve progress, it was just not able to help you. Different people have different experiences with bracing - it works for some & not for others. From what I've gathered (many hours spent on the internet) bracing does not work for many, but it's worth a try! There is some debate as to whether hard braces actually encourage the curve to become more rigid, making surgical correction harder. My daughter wears the Spinecor brace which maintains (or even improves) muscle tone and is much more comfortable than a traditional TLSO brace - particularly for thoracic curves. I once heard it described as 20 hours per day of physiotherapy.

Sorry to ramble on Kwok, I know it's too late for you to try Spinecor, but I am on a mission to bring it to the attention of parents of newly diagnosed children!!

Laura

kwok
20th December 2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by RugbyLaura@Dec 20 2007, 06:01 PM
Welcome Kwok, I'd love to know some more about you... How old are you now & have your doctors suggested surgery?

As Marti said, the brace will not have made your curve progress, it was just not able to help you. Different people have different experiences with bracing - it works for some & not for others. From what I've gathered (many hours spent on the internet) bracing does not work for many, but it's worth a try! There is some debate as to whether hard braces actually encourage the curve to become more rigid, making surgical correction harder. My daughter wears the Spinecor brace which maintains (or even improves) muscle tone and is much more comfortable than a traditional TLSO brace - particularly for thoracic curves. I once heard it described as 20 hours per day of physiotherapy.

Sorry to ramble on Kwok, I know it's too late for you to try Spinecor, but I am on a mission to bring it to the attention of parents of newly diagnosed children!!

Laura
hihi i am 21 in 2007 and will be 22 in 2008 :hb:

my doctor...didn't suggest me to have surgery...he said my cardiopulmonary function would not be affected so much coz my curve in mainly at the lumbar spine, he didn't recommend me to have surgery when i was firstly found to have scoliosis

recently i have a follow-up check with the same doctor, and i asked if i would be good to have the surgery now. his reply is that, it won't help too much for me, and after the surgery, i may have several complications....he said no surgery is better to me... :cry:

RugbyLaura
20th December 2007, 01:41 PM
Don't be sad, surely it's a good thing that you don't need surgery? Unless, of course, you have a lot of pain or other problems....

alyssa
20th December 2007, 04:16 PM
I'm certainly not saying this for anyone elses because obviously I dont know but personally surgery was the best thing I could have done. I have never worn a brace in my life (appart from on my teeth haha)

Don't be worried because you're all in great hands.

I was in and out within 7 days, layed up in ICU for three and had pretty intensive physio for the last few days. I was only allowed to go home when I could walk up and down 10 steps. And I was in good progress so I was allowed to go home. Quite sore but if you're given good pain controll then it'll be no problem.

Do you know which approach the surgeon will be taking, anterior or posterior, or both, lol?

any questions dont hesitate to ask away

lyssie x

janpaulkja
20th December 2007, 08:28 PM
Hi there
My son has scoliosis (S) and wore a brace from about age 4 to age 10, full time,
he now doesnt have to wear a brace and his scoliosis is significantly reduced, he only has a very slight curve. He still regulaly visits the hospital for checks especially as he is coming up to a growth spurt! Only time will tell but it was good for him.

Best wishes
x jan x

jamielynn
21st December 2007, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by kwok@Dec 20 2007, 01:30 AM
to what i know
after u start wearing the brace
it is common for ppl to have their scoliosis worse than b4

actually...
in my case...
it seems brace is no use at all

starting cubb angle is 30 degree...
after wearing brace....3 months later...40 degree...
then i wore the brace for 3 years...
the angle was then up to 60....

then i refused to wear it any more..
now...7 years after i was diagnosed to have scoliosis...
the angle keeps to be 60 degree.... :cry:
yeah I heard this too... the brace just isn't working for me anymore the way it once used too.
I'm still very xcited to get the surgery though.. I'm sorry to hear about your curve progressing that much, I'm not sure what my degrees are at the moment, but I'm guessing they have changed lol
I'm so xcited for winter break! I'm really busy acidemically so this will go by really quickly!

Sandman77
17th January 2008, 07:32 PM
Sadly many braces are done wrong and dont work much... And its forgotten to exersize alongside the brace meaning the muscles gets weak... Which happened to me due to my braces... (Milwuakee)

Im no expert on braces and quality and what not I do know its hard to get a good correction with one and without exersizes alongside it. Such as Schroth commonly used in Germany...

tonibunny
18th January 2008, 02:04 AM
Sandman, may I ask, did you always wear a Milwaukee? I've seen a photo of one of your old braces but it was actually a TLSO. Back in the 1970s and 1980s Milwaukees ALWAYS had a neck ring, there was no such thing as a Milwaukee without one.

This is a Milwaukee:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/polio/howpolio/images/imgrehab_08.jpg

The pelvic girdle could be made of plastic, but there were always metal bars with pads attatched and a neck ring.

jamielynn
18th January 2008, 02:05 AM
Thanks Sandman,
im glad your very interested with the Schroth..
I'm doing therapy right now... but it's not that method, still recommended surgery

sins
18th January 2008, 11:45 AM
I wore a Milwaulkee like the one in the picture, but had fibreglass girdle instead of leather and the chin rest actually cupped around the chin.The brace didn't hold my curve at all, most probably because I was braced at 45 degrees and was too late.
Sins

tonibunny
18th January 2008, 12:10 PM
It's a shame you had to wear the Milwaukee and it was useless for you Sins :( Those old chin pads used to mess up peoples' teeth so maybe it's lucky you didn't have to wear it for years on end.

I was lucky that the Milwaukee worked for me, in that it held my curves for long enough to give me time to grow before I needed fusion surgery. At 4, when I started to wear the braces, my top curve was about 68 degrees and my bottom curve was about 45 degrees. Luckily a succession of Milwaukees and plaster bodycasts (which I'd worn since I was a baby) managed to prevent my curves from progressing too fast, and I eventually had surgery on my 76 degree thoracic curve when I was ten.

My Milwaukees always had a plastic girdle, plastic throat mould (which I used to gnaw because it was right there in front of me, it was a terrible habit!) and metal bars that stuck out quite a way because they had to fit round my rib hump, which got very prominent as the years passed (there's a pic of me wearing a Milwaukee aged 7 or 8 in the gallery). I don't think that the Milwaukee addressed rotation very well, even if it prevented an increase in the Cobb Angles. Luckily the plaster casts did provide some derotation too.

The Milwaukee wasn't pleasant to wear but I'd wear it again tomorrow if it could definitely help me in some way. The hour I got out of the brace at night was absolute heaven, and when I was 8 I was allowed to take it off to do PE at school too - I gasped with delight when my teacher told me my father had spoken to her and said I could do that! I was able to take the thing off myself and put it back on; it surprises me when I read of teenagers who are unable to get their TLSOs on and off without help.

Any other Milwaukee-wearers remember the crunching metal sound of the nut at the back - right by your ears- as you tighten it to fix the neck collar shut? And did anyone else have a problem with dropping the sodding thing all the time when they were trying to do it up? :joke:

Sandman77
19th January 2008, 03:36 PM
Toni Ok I think your righ Big Sistah ;)

Anyways I wore it 24/7 almost with not much exersizing and well it made things worse mind you it was after Surgery...

Bren
26th January 2008, 08:17 AM
Toni

Your experiences sound just like mine...I agree with the best part was taking it off at the end of the day...The neck screw on my brace would always come unscrewed..Glad that part is over now..

crkcallie
24th February 2008, 03:21 AM
I am no longer in a bracing program and I did not wear a Boston brace, but I did wear one called the Copes Scoliosis Dynamic Brace. That one, near the end of my time in the program, it did make my curves worse.