View Full Version : Flatback??

12th October 2007, 04:29 PM

Sorry for asking a dumb question but i keep hearing the term "flatback"....can anyone explain what this is?


12th October 2007, 08:50 PM
Hi Ali,
Flatback is the name used to describe a problem which happened with older surgeries.Before the dual rod systems in use today, a single rod called a Harrington rod was placed in the spine and distracted to stretch the spine straight.But when used on lumbar scoliosis curves,it also removed the normal inward curve in the lower back as well as the side curve.The resulting shape was described as flatback and this caused many problems years later such as degenerated discs and balance problems.It's pretty much a thing of the past.

12th October 2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks Sins,

Do you know when Harrington rods were last used? Im not sure what ive got but i know i only have a single rod supported by a few screw/bolts. I also had lumbar scoliosis.

Ali x

Little Ali
13th October 2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks Sins. I didn't know that either.

14th October 2007, 09:12 AM
Perhaps you had an anterior surgery, where the surgical approach was done from the side and not from the centre of the back?An anterior rod would be a single rod.
Harringtons were being phased out around the late 1980's I think, certainly almost all were obsolete by early 1990's.

15th October 2007, 11:14 PM
Thats nice to know. I did have anterior surgery, but not until 1999.

Thanks Sins!

Ali xx