PDA

View Full Version : New to this site

ourlena
1st October 2007, 06:04 PM
Hi i'm new here and hope you are all doing well.
My 11 year old daughter Robyn was diagnosed May 2007 with scoliosis, she has a 30 degree thorasic curve. At our dr's appointment we were told to wait and see what happens with no explanations or guidance. Is this normal and what everyone receives on their first visit.
We have to visit Yorkhill sick kids hospital in Glasgow every 6 months for x-rays, 2nd one in 2 weeks. I do see a difference in her posture and her back and she seems to have a rib hump now. Please could you advice us about casting and bracing. When are they done and why choose one over the other. What braces are available in Scotland. I have researched the Spinecor brace and like the look of it but is it available in Scotland
Does anyone take part in exercises if so what do they do, i have been trying to find Robyn a pilates/yoga teacher but have had no great success.
Thanks for any advice and sorry if i sound confused or desperate.
Caroline (mum to Robyn)

jennie
1st October 2007, 08:04 PM
Hi and welcome, this site is wonderful, took me two years to find it, being rather a luddite..but it has been enormously important to both me and Emily. She reads it avidly, and in the summer some of us met up which was great. The girls compared their braces...the photos are somewhere ! Emily has a rigid brace and is fine with them, she's on her 4th... :monkey: jennie

jennie
1st October 2007, 08:09 PM
ps. Emily regularly sees her osteopath, he manages to sort out most of her aches and pains, but she's quite twisty now,useless for pushing the shopping trolley as she veres off to the right! :glee:

RugbyLaura
1st October 2007, 10:07 PM
Hi Caroline! Glad you found us!! You know all about Immy already so I'll just say "Hi" & suggest that we all move to Sheffield. (I think Gilly would like that too!)

Laura

ps casting seem to be for very young children only.

GillyG
1st October 2007, 10:56 PM
Gilly would like that very much....!

Welcome to the site, by the way! I think you'll find us a very friendly bunch (if a little mad!! :P )