PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Scheuermann's case

TerrapinFlyer
12th September 2007, 10:02 PM
Hi everyone!

My name is Jody, I'm 24 (will be 25 in October), and am currently between housing at my father's place in Effort, PA (more on that later...) or with my girlfriend and her family in Bridgewater, NJ. I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's when I was 17, although at that point it was rather pronounced, it's currently progressed to 93 degrees.

Living with this, as I'm sure some of you know, has been multi-faceted. As far as school went, it just compounded problems I was already having with other students (I was the school dork, of sorts.) It got to the point where rather than educate the students as they are supposed to do, instead I got shipped off to an alternative school. This did wonders on my self esteem.

After I had finished with High School, and due to lack of health insurance, I continued working at the local McD's, even worked my way up into management, however, due to problems related to my spine, I could no longer do it after a couple years. During that time I had ended up getting married (to a woman I didn't love, but my self esteem at the time made me believe no one else would want me... so, bad idea) We had a kid, and spent 2 years bouncing around from motel to motel while I worked 2 jobs 7 days a week. After I almost collapsed one day at work, I decided to move back to PA, applied for disability, and fought them for 2 years. During that time, I had a son, and then a really bad car accident...

I was on my way somewhere, and hit a patch of ice on a blind curve. The car hit a tree on the driver's side door at about 50 MPH. Aside from a few scrapes and bruises, I walked away fine. It was this, however, that made me re-evaluate my life at that point.

I subsequently left my now ex-wife, and tried to make things work on social security. I went through some rough patches, but overall, things have been going a little better, albeit not stable.

I met my current girlfriend online, and we really hit it off. I'm still self-concious about my back, but I am dealing with it better, and have more confidence as of late. The pain is considerable, as I'm sure some of you know, so even working part time right now is out of the question.

I recently spoke to my doctor in NYC, they've decided to go ahead with a fusion from my L2 to my T2 both anterior and posterior. I still have to call and schedule it.

To be honest, I'm petrified. For a few reasons: One, the surgery itself. Two, I have no idea where I'm going to recover. My father isn't doing too well these days, and neither is anyone else in the family... we don't live very close. So as far as once I get out, I have no one to really help me recover. Not to mention the medical bills, either.

In short, this is what happens when the poor become ill... twas no fault of my own, and it's thus far hindered every aspect of trying to get somewhere in life, as much as I've tried to overcome and ignore and fight through the pain, tremors, etc. However, I've noticed that no charities exist to help single people without a live-in family who are ill, but not terminally so. Aside from my dream of becoming a radio broadcaster, I've been kicking around the idea of starting a charity to help those like me. Maybe even some of you guys know people like that... Just stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Enough whining on my part. So... where's the party at? And who wants to see pictures of my Oldsmobile?

scolioscott
12th September 2007, 10:12 PM
You poor thing!

I can't help, but just wanted to say Hi. My 13 year old daughter is about to have surgery, but we obviously don't have your sort of problems so not much help to you at all I'm afraid.

I hope you get sorted though, and find some help!

H 8)

TerrapinFlyer
12th September 2007, 10:15 PM
Well, hello, then! I'm here more to find out what to expect with recovery, and talk more about the dynamics of spine problems, but I felt like giving a little "Back"story. (sorry..) So expect to see me around a little more often. :-)

tonibunny
12th September 2007, 11:06 PM
Hi Jody, welcome to SSO! :welcome2:

I'm really sorry to hear you've been through so much cr*p!!! You REALLY need that surgery done, I hope we can help you find a way to make it possible. I take it that you don't have insurance? I'm not sure what options there are for you (I live in the UK and we are damn lucky here to have the NHS) but I'll do my best to find out - there has to be a way of sorting this.

In the meantime, keep smiling, you are very welcome here and it would be FAB to see a pic of your Oldsmobile :D

:squeeze:

Toni xx

Amazed Jean
12th September 2007, 11:19 PM
Hello and hell yes, I want to see the pix of your Olds. My husband collects the damn things! He had rebuilt from ground up a 1970 Olds 98 convertible and painted it shiny red and had the interior done in white glove leather. It was the other woman in our relationship. Sadly, he was taking it on it's once a year drive about and someone Tboned him. It is a total wreck. It is all broken and twisted but he trailered it back home where it occupies our garage waiting for him to start in again on it or one of the several others he has stored to be rebuilt. So talk cars anytime. In the meantime my signature paragraph tells you about me. We will have to brainstorm to see if we can find a way to help you through your surgery. I am glad you are considering it. Do not wait too long. The younger the better. You just heal so much better while young. I hope you like it here. Welcome!!

jfkimberly
12th September 2007, 11:24 PM
I can't believe the hospital would discharge you knowing there's nobody to help you. When I had a nose operation (medically necessary, I assure you!) last year, they wouldn't let me go until someone showed up to take me home and there was a discharge plan in place. Have you tried talking to the hospital staff about what referrals they can offer for your release?

There are a lot of things you'll need help with initially. Lifting, bending, etc. will be completely out of the question for a while, which means cooking for yourself will be pretty much impossible, you can't do laundry... gosh, all kinds of basic household activities. If nothing else, the hospital will have a social work department who can make the necessary referrals for you. There must be something available. Contact them before you schedule your op so you can make the arrangements in advance.

TerrapinFlyer
12th September 2007, 11:37 PM
I'll look into the social services, but usually single, young male= SOL around here.

Without further ado, the other love of my life aside from my son and GF:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/terrapinflyer88/P6170021.jpg

It's a 1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale. I bought it 9 months ago for $400 with 88K on the clock. It just turned over 100K last week, and has given me little trouble since I've had it.

Considering the current gas crunch, I was a little hesitant to own something V8 with a 4 barrel carb, but it hasn't been that bad (except for around town... 11mpg vs. 26mpg highway)

It's also, apparently, a little rare. The 2 door versions mostly had a V6 in them, this one was fully loaded with the V8. I plan on restoring/modernizing this car completely after recovery, if I can stop it from rusting away entirely.

It's fantastic... floats like a dream over bumps, and those big soft seats with tons of leg room could not be more perfect for me to drive it, plus, even though it's old, it's getting comparable mileage to newer vehicles, with a heck of a lot more personality (not to mention power... ;-) ), and I love the body design of it. It's big, evil, and funky all at the same time.

I have another car as well, that I'm thinking of either using it as an around town runabout or having one of the local country boys run it in the demolition derby, a 1982 Buick Skylark.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/terrapinflyer88/P7090029.jpg

Still no idea what to do with this one. Has a LOT of hidden rust.

jfkimberly
13th September 2007, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by TerrapinFlyer@Sep 12 2007, 05:37 PM
I'll look into the social services, but usually single, young male= SOL around here.
Don't just go to your county offices, or whatever. Specifically talk to the hospital's social work department. They'll know what your options are better than your local Department of Human Services office.

Little Ali
13th September 2007, 09:52 PM
Hello and :welcome2: Sorry to her of all you've been through. I hope they can help you out. I'll be back and write more soon.