PDA

View Full Version : Surgery Date

lindzi_11
29th August 2004, 01:43 AM
Hey everyone. . November 10th is when i'll be getting the back surgeory :cry: Do any of you guys have any advice for me?

Joy
29th August 2004, 04:30 AM
Don't stress yet. *hugs*

Blair
29th August 2004, 04:41 AM
Agreed! Don't let yourself think about it too much. Its' not nearly so bad as you can imagine it to be. I learned that the hard way.

lindzi_11
29th August 2004, 05:00 AM
Did anyones surgeories not go well? Like did anyone here end up paralyzed or something??

Carly
29th August 2004, 05:16 AM
I dont have the answers but just remember that worrying about it wont do anything... just make it harded. Good Luck!

Jessica*
29th August 2004, 07:20 AM
Paralyzed? Now THAT's definitely the wrong attitude! Don't think the worst otherwise you'll wind yourself up too much. I constantly fretted about becoming a para/quadriplegic!

Advice: Find out all the answers to all your surgical questions. It's always good to know what's going to happen and to overcome any fears.

BlueIce
29th August 2004, 11:53 AM
Don't think about it too much, because it will only make you worry even more. My experience was that it's not nearly half as bad as I'd imagined it to be.
Another advice: whenever you come up with a question, write it down so you won't forget it and ask us or the doc (or both :-)). You'll be more prepared and will know what'll happen.
Good luck!

Little~shedevil~dee
29th August 2004, 04:03 PM
good luck :squeeze:

Kaja
29th August 2004, 04:13 PM
Whoop! :squeeze: You'll be fine, don't worry!

Marti
29th August 2004, 05:56 PM
Try not to worry! Of course that's impossible, but you can still try. As Jessica said, make sure you ask all your questions and get answers. It'll make you feel much better.

Oh, and really don't worry about being paralyzed. I think that fewer than 1% of the people who have the surgery are paralyzed.

Kayla
29th August 2004, 09:23 PM
lol paralyzed is like a slim chance lindz dont stress that much

Kaja
29th August 2004, 10:04 PM
Yep. I remember a girl in my class spread a rumour around school when I got back from my op. "She almost DIED!! She had a 50/50 chance of getting PARALYZED!!!"

Now that's silly. But fun :D

Joy
30th August 2004, 03:22 AM
lol

Lindzi, it's really not that bad. I'll give you hospital advice closer to the actual date, but until then try not to think about it too much. You'll only wind yourself up.

jfkimberly
30th August 2004, 09:15 AM
Good luck with your surgery, Lindsay. I can't offer you any advice as I haven't even been to a consultation with the right doctor yet, but I'm sure you'll be fine. These people know what they're talking about.

Pikey
30th August 2004, 11:03 AM
Hi Lindzi , you shouldn't worry but be excited .You are going to have a new back and then will be able to get on with your life .When Jonny had his Op he was looking forward to it and his attitude was superb .It's only normal to have worries but try and put them to oneside . You are going to do great and everyone here will be with you and just think by Christmas you will be all fixed up .Take care and dont worry so much .

BarmyArmy
30th August 2004, 12:28 PM
Yeah I agree with all the above posts, try and focus on the all the good things about surgery Lindzi. :squeeze: It's great that you don't have to wait too long for the surgery :niceone:

Liv
30th August 2004, 03:10 PM
You don't have to panic, Lindsay. But if you do... we're all here for you!

Abbi
1st September 2004, 12:59 AM
Hey lindz, thats great that your surgery date is set.... i really wish you luck for it, don't worry about it hun! I will be praying for you

Jonny
1st September 2004, 02:55 AM
It's good you have the date set - it's something to focus on, and remember that on that day, in the evening, your spine will be straight.

Forget about the paralysis risk - it WON'T happen. Marti I think it's even less than that. But what kept me going was:

I could spend my life short, deformed, in pain, with my lungs being crushed,
or,
I could spend my life tall, straight, upright, free of pain, and breathing easy.

Didn't take long before I wanted the surgery more than anything else!