PDA

View Full Version : Pain

Carly
28th August 2004, 06:16 PM
Hi!
i thought that I would not be posting about my back for awhile... I thought it was all over and everything was good.... NOT! Lately my back has given me alot of pain. It varies everyday from my shoulders, to my mid beck to my lower back. I mostly get it at night but sometimes during the day. I was coming up on a couple months pain free! I was talking to Tim on MSN and he said it might be the weather. We have had constant rain here and that is not normal. Usually we have a drought... Yesterday when i was going to the gym, i had a tank top on. As I was leaving my mom noticed that my back looked alot worse. She said my shoulder blades were way off and i was totally crooked. She said she was going to phone the physio place to make an appointment.
Am I being paranoid or should I be concerned? Is it just the weather or could my back have gotten worse? It has been about 2 1/2 months since I finished wearing my brace. I dont think I have grown but can your curve get worse even without you growing?
Thanx guys!
Carly

sins
28th August 2004, 06:26 PM
Tim makes a good point about the weather.Aches and pains appear worse in cold wet weather especially if you feel chilled or shiver.
I'd agree with your mother and make an appointment with the physio.
Hopefully the physio will loosen up the tense muscles.As for feeling crooked,if your muscles go into spasm they can temporarily pull your spine out of alignment.Even though you're "finished" with your scoliosis treatment,I'm a great believer in keeping it monitored throughout life.
Keep your insurance and perhaps in a six months or so get a second opinion.Change doctors and keep your condition managed.Your curve is not severe and is *unlikely to progress.But it's better to be safe and keep a check on it.Try to relax, take some antinflammatories and stay warm. :squeeze:
Sins

Joy
28th August 2004, 06:49 PM
:hug: I hope you feel better soon, I can tell sometime when it's going to rain because hurts where the took my rib out. But I would go get your back checked out if you keep having pain. Just to be sure. And hopefully the physio will help. I wish I could make it better for you but I can't.

Lieve
28th August 2004, 09:35 PM
I agree with Sins as you are still young you need a regular check up to prevent curves get worse without knowning it. I hope the physio will help and you feel better soon! :squeeze:

Jessica*
29th August 2004, 06:14 AM
If you I wouldn't be concerned. I'm not saying there's nothing to be concerned about, just that you shouldn't worry. To improve your physical health it always helps to keep great mental health. Stay positive. Yes this sounds like a load of BS afterall, easier said than done.
How often have you been in a FANTASTIC mood but felt like crap at the same time - not that often for me.

Pain is almost always redirected to muscular pain and stress. And I suppose cold weather squeezes its way into this topic as shivering is the bodys way to cope with the chills. When your muscles shiver, blood is constantly being pumped aroudn the body and the muscles are basically asking for more. <-- Short and lame explanation there

Anywho, a physio appointment would be a smart choice. You wouldn't want to look back a few months/years later and say "why didn't I book that appointment!?"
And it's possible for curves to progress even if you're not growing. I remember reading a statistic somewhere, about untreated Adults with Scoliosis, and their degrees can increase by 1 each 1-2 years (or something). Then again, all cases are different.
I'm blabbering so I'll shut myself up here. </hyper mood>

BlueIce
29th August 2004, 10:58 AM
I agree with all that's been said. It might as well be no big deal, but it's always better to have your pain sorted out. Just keep having regular check-ups and you'll be fine.

Crazy16girl
29th August 2004, 11:27 PM
You know what, thats strange, the past week ive been having ALOT of pain and ive had none since my operation. Its mainly in my shoulder blade/middle of back, but yesterday reached the bottom of my back. I was on my feet all day at work yday near enough (9-6) but normally its ok, i went out clubbing and couldnt drink and had to sit down because it was hurting so much but as soon as i layed down (on the most comfy bed, kris'!) it was fine. But yes again its been aching a lil today, but not half as much.

Carly
29th August 2004, 11:35 PM
Weeding is not good for my back. Today I was the last day at work and my back was on fire. It got so bad at one point it made me nauseaus (spelling?). I felt like I was going to puke.... I really need a good massage and some accupunture!

lindzi_11
30th August 2004, 12:40 AM
Yah my back has been in alot of pain too but like i blame it on soccer. It was the playoffs and i pushed myself a bit too much. And also i've been roller blading 24/7 and stuff like that.

Pikey
30th August 2004, 10:40 AM
It maybe that the nerves in your back are starting to come back to full use , it was only a year from your Op wasnt it .I suffered bad pain for a bit after my Op but over the years the pain always dropped off .I guess you are just starting to move around more and you are starting to use differant muscles again . The weather in Europe has been awful for August with loads of frontal systems coming in and tjhat has played havoc with my back and neck .Go for a check up just to put your mind at rest but my bet is you are just starting to move your back more .Take care , Pikey.

Pikey
30th August 2004, 01:55 PM
ooops , you havnt had an Op yet have you .I must sort my memory out .

Carly
30th August 2004, 04:24 PM
and I dont live in Europe... didnt we discuss this all on MSN ;-)

Pikey
31st August 2004, 12:08 PM
sorry , as soon as a wrote the first post I realised .It's my age , I get confused .Grovel , grovel .I'm still sure you will be OK though .I'll have to get my big shovel out again just in case I dig any further holes .

floralgypsy
1st September 2004, 12:28 PM
Jonny will lend you his. He used to use it very often, but now he seems to have lost the need... maybe he is growing up? :-D

Carly
5th September 2004, 09:51 PM
Ouch! my back is so sore. I wake up stiff all the time and that has never happened. Whenever I bend over, I get this shooting pain right under my left shoulder. ARGH! My mom made an appointment with the massage and physio place but that is not for another 2 weeks. I dunno if i can take it till then!

Lieve
5th September 2004, 10:21 PM
I'm sorry to read your in such pain Carly. :hug: Hope you can cope with it until your appointment with the PT.

Liv
6th September 2004, 02:26 PM
Oh Carly.. :-( Did you take some anti-inflammatoirs? If this ain't any better today, you should make an urgent appointment with your orthopaedic surgeon. :hug:

Is there one specific place where it hurts the most?

Blair
6th September 2004, 03:07 PM
Hm.. On the topic of massages...
I'm thinking about getting one. My back muscles are in a snarl after going back to work after a week off. My filly yanked the hell out of me (darn, she's getting so BIG!).
So I'm thinking of scheduling a massage at the place down the street....
But.... I find myself being self conscious because of my scar for the first time... I would feel bad for creeping out the massage therapist person...
Bleh.

Carly
6th September 2004, 03:22 PM
It is better today.. but i did wake up stiff.... I hate taking any pain meds, i dunno what it is but i feel guilty when i do. The pain has to be unbearable before i would take any.
Liv- it seems to change where the pain is daily?!?

BlueIce
6th September 2004, 07:08 PM
don't feel guilty for taking painkillers. I was too stubborn too take much of them after surgery, but then kimberly told me to take them whenever I need them and it really makes you feel better. I'm always a bit crancky when I'm in pain, I'm just tired of the pain and misery and it reminds me of the bad things. So just take them because you'll probably feel better. If you really don't want any painkillers try yoga, I've heard it would be good for your back.