PDA

View Full Version : P.E.

RoughRider504
25th August 2007, 11:13 PM
To start I have scheuermann's with a curve of 105 which could be more now. School started again and so did Physical Education. This year I have a back brace so I cannot do all the things I could do last year. The first class last week I left my back brace at home. Last year I could do everything and not hurt that much. I soon figured out that this year is very much different. A normal day we do many stretches [If I had my brace on I couldn't do] and run. I left with a lot of pain. The running hurt me more, there was something about the repeated impacts on my spine.

Easy, just tell the teacher about it and I'll just sit out, right? Not that easy. I tried explaining but since I am not a tiny guy it is hard to see with my shirt on. Asked my doctor for a note and the only thing it said was no sit ups. Wait. . . if it is causing me pain I should not be doing it. . .obviously? Now my teacher has a note saying the only thing I cannot do is sit ups so I have to do everything.

So, how should I explain my condition and the reasons I should not be doing this stuff? I mean, I should be trying my hardest to control it so there is a slight chance I will not need surgery and this is surely not helping. :nut:

Amazed Jean
26th August 2007, 09:07 AM
i would certainly find someone else to write a more suitable note for the PE teacher. I am a big believer in the concept of "If it hurts - stop doing it." pain is our body's way of telling us to stop. Good Luck!

Jonny
26th August 2007, 04:23 PM
My PE teachers would have been scared of being sued if they made me do PE if I had a note. I think the sight of the brace itself would be enough, too. It's a shame they've already seen the sit-ups note - perhaps a parental note would do it, along with showing them the brace?

One-off pain would be a plausible excuse for sitting out of PE, so I think chronic pain should convince them to let you sit it out. Watch them sweat!

ScoliJess
26th August 2007, 05:42 PM
Is it your doctor that gave you the note your GP?

If so, my advice would be to telephone the consultants secretary, explain the situation, and ask if the consultant can write a note and post it out to your home address for you. Just let them know about the problem, they may of course want to see you in clinic, but if it does the job of getting the note it's worth it.

Perhaps go to class wearing the barce too... that would surely get the message to them....

jennie
26th August 2007, 08:18 PM
hi, my daughter Emily at first was not allowed to do rugby in case anyone hurt themselves on her brace :glee: more recently she has been banned,which is as much to do with her connective tissue disorder as well as the scoliosis... but I ring the deputy head and tell him. All the teachers are then sent a note telling them what she can or cannot do. one pe teacher asked to see her brace ... I think she thought it was a tooth brace , then I ring up and complain!!They certainly don't want to be sued!

shortgirl
27th August 2007, 12:47 AM
I just had my parents call and I got out of PE all together in Highschool. I remember the PE teacher pushing me in grade school not realizing how hard it was for me...so finally I just said screw it. I was able to take art and other fun classes to make up for the credits in HS. You might try doing that.

jfkimberly
27th August 2007, 09:14 PM
I was not excused from PE, but with a note from my doctor and several from my mother, I was allowed to skip things that I'm not capable of doing (sit ups, or anything else that flexes or bends the back), and I was allowed extra time for laps, and things. But my 10th grade PE teacher was a big snot, and she gave me a B because she didn't think I was trying hard enough. Up 'til then, I always had very understanding teachers, and I was allowed to sit out any activity I wanted to. She was the exception.

RoughRider504
6th September 2007, 02:40 AM
I wish I could get out of P.E. but it is required to graduate so I have to do it. When I am healing up I don't know what I will do in P.E. but I can be sure I will be in that class.

Now when I am sitting out of the running portion of class the teacher talks to me. He keeps comparing me to a student he had who had scoliosis and got the operation. He says he could participate so why not I? Luckily I am informed so I tell him he could of had a 60 degree curve and I have a 105 degree curve. BIG difference. He then said something about me being overweight probialy being related to it. Wow.

Why just believe what I am saying? I wish I was lying to you, coach. I try to be nice about it but I probialy come off as having an attitude but it is a well deserved one. Bleh.

tonibunny
6th September 2007, 08:37 AM
I really, really feel for you. I have had people say "oh yeah scoliosis, my friend/sister/daughter/dog had that and it never affected them". Some people don't realise that there are degrees of severity.....I'm really glad that you were able to explain that to your PE teacher, and it makes me so angry that he made such an ignorant comment about your weight!!!! Were you able to say "my weight has nothing to do with my condition" or were you too shocked and upset at that point to say anything?

This is SO unfair. Would it be posssible for you to make an appointment with your GP to explain that some forms of PE are simply very painful for you to do? He probably doesn't understand either.

I used to do PE in a Milwaukee brace as a child, taking part in gym and team sports and running, everything. But, I wasn't in pain. Make sure that your doctor knows that the problem you have with PE is because of pain and not because of your brace, as he may of heard of other kids with scoliosis/kyphosis who wear braces and do PE with no problems. If you explain about how running hurts because of the repeated impacts on your spine, he will surely understand.

Dammit, I am so sorry you are having to deal with this :squeeze:

sins
6th September 2007, 08:49 AM
Comparing Scheuermann's with scoliosis is just not comparing like with like....for one the levels of pain are totally different.
problem seems to be that it's not just teachers, but doctors who have a lack of knowledge about kyphosis.
I think keep wearing your brace, just remove it for PE and put it straight back again.Your parents need to visit the principal and explain that your teacher's expectations of your physical ability way exceed your capability and that they fear a real injury to your spine.
Certainly being physically active is beneficial,but not at the risk of making your pain worse, not to mention the lack of understanding of a disability.Then there's the psychological thing where the teacher is being cruel and passing remarks about a person with a disability and that's not acceptable in this day and age.If being a few pounds overweight caused kyphosis there'd be a whole pile of us with even curvier spines than we now have.
You might be better off going for low impact exercises and it seems like the class is not designed to cater for students with a disability.Sorry for using the disability word so much, but basuically it'd scare the pants off schools who would fear discriminating against a person with kyphosis.
Sins

GillyG
6th September 2007, 02:34 PM
Your PE teacher sounds like an ignorant b*****d. I'd go with sins idea of scaring the pants off him with some discrimination talk. See how many clever comments he cares to make then. *Gilly goes off into stroppy mode* :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

Make him squirm and then come back and tell us all about it.

Gilly xx

RoughRider504
6th September 2007, 11:43 PM
Were you able to say "my weight has nothing to do with my condition" or were you too shocked and upset at that point to say anything?

Yeah, luckily I have a passive personality. It set me back for a second and made me think, Wow he really don't know anything. I told him it had nothing to do with it what so ever. I mean, to be a PE teacher don't you have to go through classes and such? Just because you can tell the football team how to throw a ball and tackle someone don't make you a suitable PE teacher.

I bet my doctor gave me the cheap note because he thought my brace would stop the pain like most kids. I am pretty bad off so it only works for normal activities - not touching my toes or running a mile. :nutter: Its hard to make people come to terms with that.

Comparing Scheuermann's with scoliosis is just not comparing like with like....for one the levels of pain are totally different.

That is exactly what I was trying to tell him. Trying to explain how it can affect different people differently is hard.

Your PE teacher sounds like an ignorant b*****d. I'd go with sins idea of scaring the pants off him with some discrimination talk.

If nothing else works, that will. If a student was in an accident and was suffering from back pain they would be sidelined without argument. Now me who has to live with this stuff for my entire life has to argue myself into what I rightfully deserve. I am guessing this is going to take a while but if I have to link him to every informational website imaginable and stand there while he reads it I am at the point of doing that.

And thanks everyone for being here and understanding where I come from, it helps a bunch!

GillyG
6th September 2007, 11:50 PM
You sound like such a lovely person, you really don't deserve the treatment you're getting. I hope you can get things sorted soon and don't have to take much more of this. Put the guy on to us - we'll sort him out!!!!

Gilly xx

Lucy7
7th September 2007, 04:45 PM
I am so angry with this idiot that calls himdelf a PE teacher. Like Toni, I met a few idiots like this in my day... I am literally shaking with anger as I know what a nightmare it can be with ignorant people like this in charge.

Trying to calm myself for a moment, I think it should be explained to Mr Jerk that exercise, in SOME forms, can help make you stronger whilst other activities can set you back considerably. In other words, he has the power to help you if he could just take the time to understand your case. Then tell him what you can and can't do, explaining that this in itself can change over time.

Failing all this just call me and I'll fly over and duff him up like Gilly. She can take the first hit and I'll kick him whilst he's down. Unfair - yes. But he's not playing fair himself!!

Good Luck,
Lucy

RoughRider504
7th September 2007, 09:21 PM
I am about to give up and I have gotten nowhere. I had P.E. today and I did all my excersizes besides the running in pain. Trying to talk to this guy is just. . hell. I am literally disabled and even though I am not cruising around in a wheelchair [almost there, though] don't mean I can do everything by the book. If the pain radiating from my spine is not bad enough my brace is trying to stop me and is cutting into me. This is a flexible brace so that tells you something. I almost wish I had a Milwaukee with the neck ring so he could see what a pain , literally, it is to have Schermanns.

Here comes the bad part. I go to a school that I have to pay 6K+ to go every year, you would think I could get a word in edgewise there. My Dad had a meeting with the principal and he promised to talk to the teacher. Found out today he did not say a word to him. Not a WORD! How messed up is that? My Mom found out what I did today and basically chewed him out over the phone and told him what can and will happen to me. I really don't think he cares.

I don't know what to do anymore.

Lucy7
7th September 2007, 09:32 PM
Crikey...things are getting worse. Does anybody out there know how fee paying schools are regulated? Is there an education authority you can get your parents to call?

For now I think your parents need to get tough and ask to meet the PE teacher. Also, they need to tell the principal that they will remove you from there if this continues. That sometimes scare them into action......

GillyG
7th September 2007, 10:23 PM
Oh God, this is just SO unfair. I think your parents need to get really tough with the principal and threaten legal action against this teacher on the grounds of disability discrimination (or whatever it might be called out there). There must be some regulating body that they can take this to.

Please, please don't despair, there must be some way of getting through to these people, it just might involve your parents writing an official complaint to some higher authority. Meanwhile, you stick with us and we'll do all we can to support you through this rough time. It WILL get better - it has to, you just don't deserve this.

Phil
18th September 2007, 04:25 PM
At a very young age in high school I learned to tell my PE teacher to get stuffed. He soon learned and left me alone. Good luck and I do feel for you. Just be strong :)

jfkimberly
18th September 2007, 06:22 PM
If you're paying to go to school there, and the principal and PE teacher are both being so unreasonable... why don't you withdraw and go somewhere else? Or at least threaten to. They surely want your tuition enough to be more reasonable. This is unacceptable treatment! Don't reward them by paying for it.

hvdeen
19th September 2007, 02:58 AM
Wow-I really feel for you! I live in Canada so I am not sure exactly how legal stuff and laws are where you live but you could look into discrimination stuff and if legally he is in the wrong. I myself would have a hard time keeping my cool and probably would refuse to do it but you were talking about you need this class so that may not be a wise choice. I know it may be hard but don't lose your cool-you can think alot clearer and 'fight' better if you can keep as calm as possible. He sounds like an absolute jerk. Is there another pe class that you could somehow switch to with a better teacher? Again the schools here in Canada are set up a little different so I apologize if my suggestions are maybe not helpful. Do you know of anybody else that is unhappy with this guy-sometimes power is in numbers. If more people would complain to the principle he might be forced to do something and also I would totally consider threatening to pull out if you can. My goodness-how do these teachers make it into the system? There is no reason for him to make remarks like he did either. Those remarks in themselves could/should be considered abuse or discrimination. My heart goes out to you and I hope it gets resolved in some way and that you don't get stuck with another teacher like him again next year. At least it sounds like you have parents that care about you and your well being. Maybe that isn't much comfort right now but it is a good thing. Hang in there and don't give up or give in. But remember to try to keep your cool-you are way more effective that way. It isn't fair that you or anyone should have to go through something like this-it isn't right. I was just thinking-is there a school board that oversees the school that you attend? If there is-I would go directly to them with a complaint and see what can be done. Or you could threaten to go to the media about it. That might get their attention. No school wants bad publicity. Hope something from this helps. Don't give up.

jennie
19th October 2007, 05:30 PM
Hey, no news for a while, how is it going with the pe teacher?

RoughRider504
22nd October 2007, 11:32 PM
Well I was allowed to sit out the running portion of class which is the most uncomfortable so I am not pursuing it anymore. It don't make the rest of the activities any more comfortable but oh well.