PDA

View Full Version : OUR DAY OUT AT COTSWOLD WILDLIFE PARK

Nicki
17th August 2007, 11:45 PM
Hi All

Just to say that myself, Lucy and my younger daughter Phoebe had a great day out at Cotswold.

We met up with Sam and Megan, Laura and Immy and Jennie and Emily. It was a great success, the girls all compared braces and personal experiences, and us mums talked 'scoliosis' all day. We compare notes and thoughts and it was great!!

I have posted two photos of all the children in my gallery if anyone wants to have a look.

Looking forward to the next one!

Nicki x

tonibunny
18th August 2007, 12:52 PM
That's lovely! I'm so glad that you all had such a great time :D It's brilliant that the girls have met and can support each other whilst having fun too.

Excellent stuff :D

Toni xx

jennie
19th August 2007, 07:22 PM
we had a great time and great to see the photos ! thanks

GillyG
20th August 2007, 12:04 AM
Sounds like you all had a fantastic time. :D I think it's of particular benefit for youngsters to be able to meet and swap stories like this, it must feel great to be part of an exclusive 'club', rather than just 'different', if you see what I mean.

Hopefully, this will be the first of many!

Gilly xx

titch
20th August 2007, 10:44 PM
I'm sorry that I missed this - things have just been bonkers round here. We had an unscheduled trip to Cornwall because we had a funeral to go to, last Tuesday I had facet block injections done so that was a 3hr each way journey to Nottingham, the roof has been replaced, and we had stuff to do to prepare for a gaming weekend last week that was planned for ages, so all in all it just wasn't happening.

I'm really glad you all had a good time though, and would hope to make it to future meets :-)

Thaleias spirit
20th August 2007, 11:12 PM
The photos are lovely! Its so great to see them showing off their braces rather than hiding them away ..

Whos the blond haired little girl sitting on the park bench? She has the biggest grins on her face .. shes so cute!

Nicki
21st August 2007, 12:28 AM
Thats Amy, Emily's younger sister (who has a twin brother who is just as gorgeous!)

There will definately be another day out, the more the merrier!

RugbyLaura
21st August 2007, 04:39 PM
Nicky, thanks for posting the photos so quickly. And thank you Jennie, Sam & Nicky for going. It was so nice to be able to talk about Scoliosis with others who know about it & are having similar experiences. Normally when I talk to people about it I have to explain everything to them. So nice to feel normal! Can't wait to see you all again (in October!)

Laura x

RugbyLaura
21st August 2007, 05:10 PM
Regarding October:

Could you post your available dates on here with favourite first.

Mine are....... 13/14, 6/7, 27/28

Thanks,

Laura

RosieRich
21st August 2007, 06:25 PM
Hello All
It was a fun day out and great to meet everyone.
Available dates for me are 6/7 or 13/14 (no preference). I can't do the last 2 weekends as my dad is visiting.
Sam

Nicki
21st August 2007, 11:41 PM
My prefered dates are 20/21 or 27/28 no preference. Not sure on 6/7 as its my mother in laws 60th on 10th so not sure what she is doing, and its my birthday on 13th!

Amazed Jean
22nd August 2007, 03:33 AM
Nicki, Thanks for posting the pix. What a great treat to get to enjoy your day out with the kids! How absolutely wonderful it makes me feel that they can share their lives and you can all enjoy each other in spite of, or because of scoliosis. I guess i feel that maybe little things like your day of fun are just as important as swapping medical hints etc. Hopefully the kids and Mom's will be an ongoing support to each other. Wouldn't that be a great legacy to have been started here? OK I know. I'm old and getting silly sentimental in my old age.

I have also wanted ask forever if your avatar photo is you Nicki? If it is you look like you are about 12 years old. How very cool for you. (I'm jealous!)

jennie
22nd August 2007, 08:44 AM
the earlier dates are better for me, but we could do the later ones too! Looking forward to meeting up without twins! They are wonderful but very time consuming!!! :spin:

Nicki
22nd August 2007, 10:56 AM
Jean, The avatar photo is Lucy, she was 10 when it was taken. Oh how I wish I was 12 again sometimes!!!

You are absolutely right about the kids having the opportunity to share their lives and support each other. Lucy really enjoyed meeting the others, and my younger daughter enjoyed the day as well and she doesnt have scoliosis!! Hopefully as they get older they will be able to rely on each other for support if they need it.

I think the one thing that came out of the day for us mums was that we were able to talk about scoliosis and know that we all knew what it felt like. We didnt have to explain the condition or what the implications are. We all have the same fears of surgery and the future and were able to share them. Although we all have others whether it be family or friends we can talk to, they dont have the same obsession with it as we do, therefore we could talk freely without fear that you were boring someone to tears!!! Well thats how I felt! Lucy found it amusing that everytime she joined us we were talking backs!! She couldnt believe that we talked about it ALL day. I suppose that is testiment to how little it can effect them and how much if effects us!!!!

Nicki x

RugbyLaura
24th August 2007, 01:30 PM
Nicki, well said! You expressed exactly what I couldn't!

Re October..... Am now busy on 27/28 but NOT on 20/21. Looking at what everyone has said, if we want to stick with October it looks as though 13/14 is the only date we could all make. I don't want to put any pressure on you though - it being YOUR BIRTHDAY!!

The other option is to look at another month, I could't do November or December, so January would be the earliest. What do you ALL think??

Laura x

RosieRich
24th August 2007, 07:39 PM
I have to echo what Nicki has said, Megan can't believe we can talk about backs so much either! She has commented about this site before saying what is it I can find to talk about?

Laura,
January is fine with me if that works better.

Sam

jennie
26th August 2007, 09:08 PM
Hi all, briefly at home, off again tomorrow.... 13/14th is fine with me...jan less so as em will presumably be post op. I was wondering how long before the op people get their dates. I'm ringing up on tues as em had some problems breathing today :xdeer: amy has added the rudolf and says hi to you all,,, be back in a week :spin:

Nicki
31st August 2007, 08:28 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been waiting for the hubby to find out what is happening with his mums birthday. And in true man fashion he has taken an eternity to pick up the phone!!! :hammer:

I will not be able to make the weekend of 13/14 because not only is it my birthday but we are celebrating mum-in-laws 60th on Sunday 14th. I am however now free for the weekend 6/7 if this helps!!!!! :???:

Alternatively I am cool for January.

Cheers
Nicki

Nicki
31st August 2007, 08:29 PM
.......................... that said, it is my dads birthday in January!!!!!! :D

RugbyLaura
3rd September 2007, 11:46 AM
Hi All!

Back to school this week & totally disorganised! Imogen has no school trousers & everywhere has sold out.... looks like she'll be wearing last years at half mast, oh well.

Anyway - re October. It sounded so easy & so far away when first thought of. Now it is just round the corner & very difficult for us all. Imogen has her 11+ exam on 6th. Don't know whether this is am or pm yet. If am we could still go for the 6th, otherwise it looks like next year! Perhaps we should get a date in for late January - hoping that Emily will be sufficiently recovered?

Laura

Nicki
4th September 2007, 10:14 AM
Hi

Late January is good for me, maybe it will be easier to plann it further ahead? Plus something nice to look forward to after Christmas, we all feel deflated in January!!

Nicki

scolioscott
8th September 2007, 10:04 AM
If it's January - we might be back in with a chance!

H 8)

RugbyLaura
9th September 2007, 12:56 PM
H,

That would be great!! Jennie, any views on when Emily might be fit for a visit?

Laura x

jennie
10th September 2007, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone!!! Just rang stanmore and em is down for end of nov, beginning of Dec, so not sure we'd make it in Jan, but we can but hope!Will get the date 6 weeks before apparently, so begged her to make it asap, as have elderly mum and twinnies to sort out!!!