PDA

View Full Version : A FEW QUESTIONS

joe-anne
16th August 2007, 11:27 PM
:woe:

CAN SCOLIOSIS CAUSE SEIZURES OR IS IT PART OF THE PACKAGE OR NOT RELATED??

IS THERE A LINK TO SCOLIOSIS AND BRAIN DAMAGE OR AUTISM?

I WAS TOLD SHE WAS BEING GIVEN THE MRI TO LOOK FOR NERV DAMAGE...WHAT DAMAGE CAN BE CAUSED TO THE NERVES WHAT PROBLEMS CAN THIS CAUSE TO MY DAUGHTER?

tonibunny
16th August 2007, 11:45 PM
Hi Joe-anne,

Scoliosis is usually idiopathic, which means that it has no known cause, and isn't linked to any other condition. Idiopathic scoliosis isn't linked to autism, seizures, brain damage or anything else - people with it are usually totally healthy and otherwise normal.

However, sometimes children can get scoliosis alongside other problems as a symptom of another condition or syndrome of some kind. These problems may be neurological in nature, and the scoliosis will have been caused by those problems rather than the other way round.

It's routine to book a pre-adolescent child with scoliosis to have an MRI scan, because it's unusual; the vast majority of cases of idiopathic scoli are in adolescent girls.

The MRI scan can check that your daughter's curve isn't pinching or stretching her nerves, which can cause effects such as pain or pins and needles, or even muscle weaknesses. It can also check that she doesn't have a neurological condition that is causing the scoliosis.

Hope this helps! :-)

Toni xx

joe-anne
20th August 2007, 07:18 PM
thanks thats some great info...makes alot of sense now:)

she has global neuro problems due to the lack of oxygen at birth so looks like this could be yet another result of that then :/

thanks again ;-)

pink_candy_swirl
21st August 2007, 01:03 AM
My sister is 11 and has just been diagnosed with adolescent (and so far) idiopathic scoliosis. Although I have scoliosis (which is most probablythe same reason she has it) she has to have an MRI at her next appointment to check if other things are causing her scoliosis. The reason she needs checking is because she already has a LOT of other problems. It makes us angry as at our local hospital they wouldn't give her an MRI to diagnose some of her problems as she will need to be put to sleep. Her scoliosis consultant doesn't feel putting her to sleep is a problem.
To answer another question, I suffer from 'fainting episodes' due to my scoliosis.