PDA

View Full Version : HELP

snowy24040
27th July 2007, 11:13 PM
HI

ITS DAY THREE OF THIS BLOODY BRASE AND ITS DRIVING ME INSANE,NOT ONLY DO I HAVE TO SHOUT AND SCREAM TO GET COURTNEY TO WEAR IT. NOW SHE CAN TAKE IT OFF HER SELF.TODAY ALL WEVE MANAGED IS THREE HOURS AND THAT WAS A FIGHT.SHES OFF SCHOOL SO WE DO LOTS TO KEEP HER MIND OF IT BUT NOTHINGS WORKING. YESTURDAY SHE WOULDNT HAVE A WEE BECAUSE SHE CANT USE THE TOILET HER SELF SINCE HAVING IT ON.THE STRESS ITS CAUSING IS AWFUL.I REALLY DONT NO WHAT TO DO I WISH NOW MR TUCKER HAD JUST PUT HER IN A CAST.IN TEN DAYS SHES GOT TO BE WEARING IT 23 HOURS A DAY.NO WAY WILL SHE SLEEP WITH IT ON.HOW LONG DO YOU THINK THIS SHOULD GO ON FOR BEFORE I DO SOMETHING IE MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO SEE MR TUCKER. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
HONESTLY IM REALLY WORRIED ABOUT IT ALL OBVIOUSLY SHE HAS TO WEAR IT BUT WHAT IF SHE WONT.SHE CAN TAKE IT OFF SO EASILY AND ONCE ITS OFF I CANT GET IT BACK ON.

X X SHARON X X

tonibunny
27th July 2007, 11:56 PM
Oh Sharon :squeeze:

I honestly think you've got to be cruel to be kind here; just put your foot down, and put her back into the brace every time she takes it off. She'll have to calm down eventually so you can put it on again. Is there a way that you can put the brace on her so she can't get it off herself? If I were you I'd sellotape her into it until she could be trusted not to take it off....sorry, as I said, I'd be cruel to be kind.

Why can't she use the toilet with it on? Kids of her age don't generally have any problem going to the loo in braces or casts.

If Courtney really cannot tolerate the brace then I am sure they would put her in a cast. At the moment though, I'm sure it's just a case of getting her used to it. Be firm! Once she realises that you're not going to back down, she'll calm down and get used to it. When she is calm, you could ask her why she doesn't like the brace; there's a chance that part of it is rubbing her and needs adjustment, in which case you should call Tucker asap to get it sorted. Braces aren't that uncomfortable once you get used to them (I wore plaster casts and Milwaukee braces for the first ten years of my life with no real discomfort, and have worn TLSOs too, so I do know! :-) ).

Keep us up to date as to how you're getting on....!

Toni xxx

andrea
28th July 2007, 10:03 AM
I completely agree with Toni. You have to be boss and make her understand that taking it off is not an option. Plan some different/nice things to do when she can take it off so that she looks forward to doing those things, but make it clear that she doesn't get to do them if she doesn't keep the brace on for the right amount of time.

It is really hard - this journey is not easy - but as she gets used to it it'll become easier. I don't think an appointment with Mr Tucker will help - i think he'll just say the same thing. If she won't go to the loo with it, can you dig the old potties out and see if she can us them? I'm not sure why she wouldn't use a toilet though.

Best of luck. I'm sure things will improve soon.
Andrea x

Rachie
28th July 2007, 09:37 PM
Would she respond to something like a sticker chart?

You could get her to help you make it with pictures of her favourite characters on and she could get a sticker for every day/hour/minute(!) she manages to keep it on. Tell her when she has a certain number of stickers she gets to choose a new toy, for example. I know its bribery but by the time she's earned her toy she should have got more used to it.

If you find something that works let me know as my daughter needs a brace from September and I might need some ideas!

Rachie x

snowy24040
30th July 2007, 08:55 PM
HI

THANKS FOR TIPS,IM ALLREDY USING A STICKER CHART WHICH WORKS FOR A WHILE.THE TOILET BUISNESS IS A NIGHTMARE BECAUSE HER SCOLIOSIS IS LOW IN HER SPINE THE JACKET COMES OVER HER BUM SO THE ONLY WAY SHE CAN WEE IS LAYING BACK ON THE TOILET OTHERWISE IT DIGS IN THE TOPS OF HER LEGS.

X X SHARON X X

sins
30th July 2007, 10:18 PM
I think Sharon that you need to contact the brace fitter and tell them about the toilet trouble.They can trim the very end of the brace and make it more comfortable for her.
Sins

tonibunny
30th July 2007, 10:50 PM
Braces and casts should never dig into the top of the wearer's legs when they sit down. It will be possible to get Courtney's brace trimmed, so do get on to the brace fitter asap so you can get it sorted out :-)

Rachie
7th August 2007, 09:53 PM
Just wondered how you are getting on with the brace.

Rachie x

GillyG
7th August 2007, 10:02 PM
Rachie - did you bake those buns in your avatar? They always make me really hungry!! 8)

Rachie
11th August 2007, 09:28 PM
These are my favourite cakes. I'm having the same problem as you, every time I see this picture I want a cuppa and MUFFINS! (plural!). Maybe I should change it to one of mouldy old cheese...

bethy1
14th August 2007, 09:02 AM
Hi, just wandering how you are doing with the brace. Is it getting easier????

Love Beth