PDA

View Full Version : Is Scoliosis a Disability???

michaelsmum
27th July 2007, 07:22 PM
I am regularly asked is my son disabled becasue he has scoliosis, I think of scoliosis as more of a health condition rather than a disability - but if my son is to suffer for most of his childhood is it a disability??
I have also been told to apply for Disability Living Allowance because he needs more care than anyother baby his age. Would like to hear poeples views on this!

Lisa

sins
27th July 2007, 08:01 PM
Hi Lisa,
I believe scoliosis is classed as a disability, although in practice, only very few people are truly disabled by it.Very few cases of idiopathic scoliosis result in significant disability due to improved care, earlier detection and improved surgical techniques.
However for the purpose of getting decent help, apply for everything that's going!! Even though he'll adapt to his brace and plaster,some childminders may have a problem with caring for him, mostly through ignorance.Underneath that plastercast is most likely a strong healthy little man,with a very normal future ahead of him.
Sins

tonibunny
27th July 2007, 08:03 PM
Obviously scoliosis varies from person to person, and some will have it more severely than others. For the vast majority of people, scoliosis is just a condition that may cause a little pain and make them feel self-conscious about the fact that their body isn't perfectly symmetrical.

Occasionally scoliosis is so severe that it can impact a person's internal organs, causing them to have limited lung function, heart problems, and even bladder/bowel control problems. It's those things, that are secondary to scoliosis, that can lead to someone being very physically limited and thus "disabled".

Whether or not you can get DLA depends really on how severely Michael's scoliosis affects him. In what ways does he need more care than other children? Who was it who told you that you should apply for DLA? I'd imagine that if he needs a higher level of care, then you should be applying for carer's allowance rather than DLA.

Hope that helps :-)

Toni xx

michaelsmum
27th July 2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks sins

See my problem at the minute is that im am other of 3 children on a five year career break which ends in September - I dont want to go back to work and put michael in a creche, mainly because of his scoliosis and peoples ignorance! I know I can inform and update the creche staff on his condition - but will they look after him the way i would if i was at home and how will the other children treat him! :woe: I have to guess some days is he crying because his back is sore or is he just in a mood it takes up alot of my time! Before he was put in his brace he was getting out of breath walking and started to swing his left out to the side to balance himself and his curve was noticeable under a t shirt.

I dont want him to be treated any differently, and I think the best way is for me to become his full time carer! As much as I love my work and want to return for some adult conversations, he is my priority and if that means seeking financial support else were I would like to know my options.
Thanks again Lisa

michaelsmum
27th July 2007, 08:38 PM
Toni

I suppose he needs more care because he doesnt sleep through the night and in the day I have to keep and an extra eye on him in case he falls - since getting his brace he thinks he is unstoppable because his back and belly are protected he has caused many an injury to his 2 big sisters by diving on them!!! I have no knowlwdge of DLA or how to make a claim - im just enquiring to see if it is something that others have claimed or know anything about. I was not aware that carers allowance either!
I suppose I dont know how bad michaels condition will progress and will just have to wait and see! I would love for this brace to hold his curve and for him never to need casting or an op and maybe in time his spine will straigten its self out. Heres hoping.
Thanxs for ur reply much appreciated Lisax

tonibunny
27th July 2007, 08:41 PM
It sounds like you really should look at trying to get Carer's Allowance too Lisa. As far as how other people will react to Michael's scoliosis, I'm sure Andrea will be able to give you some reassurance, as I know Erin went to nursery in her cast :squeeze:

sg-ni
27th July 2007, 10:05 PM
Back when my mum enquired about financial help for me, basically they sent a person out to observe me for a wee while at home then based on that and talking to my mum and local doctor they decided I didnt qualify. All depends though but I think you sould be eligiable for atleast something. After all (as much as I dont like to say this) there are other people getting financial assistance for much much less!

how will the other children treat him!

I never had any problems or anything when I was cast in Playschool, I was like a walking barrel back then too! No problems aswell in Primary school or Highschool when braced apart from a few curious people asking if I had a dinner tray hid up my shirt :nutter:. I think your son would be grand :-) . People treated me no different than the next person all through then.
Unfortunatly everywhere you can get the occasional idiot though.

ELLA22
27th July 2007, 10:41 PM
Hi Lisa
We recieve dla for Cerys but she has other medical conditions on top of the scoliosis. I think that you can take the form to your citizens advice and they will help you fill it in. Just a warning - it's pages long. I always photocopy my form before I post it just incase it goes walkabouts. You basically have to prove that they need more help than any other child the same age. I know lots of people that have had to appeal in order to get the dla.
As for playgroup/creche, I was very worried about Cerys going but they have been really good with her. I make sure that she has pain medication before she goes if her back is sore and they watch her very carefully on the play equipment. She is now very close to one of the staff so we make sure that she knows to tell her if she is in any pain. They also make sure she moves her head from side to side every hour as she has a cervical curve.
I'm sure that micheal will be fine with the other children. Cerys has a head tilt and a hearing aid in and the other kids just accept it. The adults are the ones that tend to stare!!
Hope that you get everything sorted out x x

michelle wessollek
28th July 2007, 02:49 AM
I live in America so I think things are a little differant,but just wanted to tell you that my son is 3 and we recive SSI (social sacuiaraty)I had to go to court and prove that his condition can be disabling and he will continue to have surgries after proveing that to the courts I recived a pritty big chunk of back pay.In the tate that I live in we make to much to get it for now.Sorry for my spelling.

andrea
28th July 2007, 11:13 AM
I have never considered Erin to be disabled or needing special care, and have never been asked by anyone whether she is disabled. I view disability mainly as having physical limitations, and I really don't think Erin has any. She has always been with a childminder (only PT though), went to playgroup at 2.5 and nursery at 3. She started school last January, and many children wouldn't even know that she wore a cast - it simply doesn't stop her doing anything. She probably falls over a bit more often than other kids, but if you saw her daddy then you'd say that clumsiness runs in the family. I don't think it's caused by the cast. Scoliosis is her only issue though. I know many children have scoliosis as part of another syndrome or condition.

In the future, if her scoliosis causes her to become "disabled" (for want of a better word) then i'd possibly look into dla, but she's no different to any other kid so I'd have no intention of doing so at the moment.

Hope that helps
Andrea

michaelsmum
28th July 2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks for ur reply andrea, i dont consider michael to be disabled either he is a very active wee man, i had concerns re his walking and breathing before his brace but now the braces seems to hold him in place he nolonger walks swinging his leg to the side to balance himself. As none of my family and friends had heard of scoliosis the main question was - Is he disabled? I can see why from their eyes he would appear to be physically disabled as u could see his curve under his t shirts. Although 38 degrees aint that big of a curve, he has a big belly which was pushed to the one side.

This is all new to me and im still learning!
I do feel though that michael needs extra care from me more so than his sisters did as his age partly because he is a boy :roll: and they get up to everything, climb everything and think they are supermen. We call his brace his superman suit!! Im also still trying to get him to sleep through the night in his cast, but going to try memory foam mattress. Heres hoping :-)
Both his sisters were in the same creche part time when I was working, but I cant bring myself to leave him in someones else care just yet!! :woe: Maybe when hes a wee bit older and im used to the brace being a regular thing. Hes only been in his cast three weeks.

Not sure whether i would apply for DLA or carers allowance (or if he would even get it) but if i do it will be for my son and to help me give him the best possible care.
Lisa

jfkimberly
1st August 2007, 05:42 AM
Lisa, just look at my signature line for my childhood condition (which has resulted in me being classed "disabled" now). I went to preschool when I was 3/4 years old, just like the other kids... then kindergarten and on up. I didn't have any restrictions placed on me, but everybody (doctors, my parents, teachers) all approached my situation with the attitude of "let's see what she can do." Teachers watched me a bit closer to make sure I didn't get bullied or that other kids didn't play too rough with me. Otherwise, I had a "normal" schooling experience.

I have some range of motion limitations as a result of my skeletal structure (I can't arch my back or raise my right arm above horizontal, and my head is tilted to the right and I can just about straighten it... I can't tilt it left), and now that I'm older and my oxygen demand is much higher than I my chest cavity can support. But as a small child, I didn't think of myself as disabled or really very different. I definitely do now.

tonibunny
2nd August 2007, 11:32 AM
I never saw myself as disabled either, and my parents never treated me as such. As you can see from my signature line, I had infantile idiopathic scoli diagnosed at 6 months, with a double curve of 62 and about 40 degrees. I wore plaster casts and braces since I was diagnosed up until I was ten.

I know it'll be rough for Michael to be wearing the brace right now, but he'll soon get used to it and be able to sleep - trust me :-) As I grew up, each new cast and brace felt uncomfortable and sore at first, but after a while I got used to them and they were fine. Even the Milwaukees!

If people ask if Michael is disabled, you could perhaps explain to them that he has a condition, not a disability :-)

littlelou1975
2nd August 2007, 09:37 PM
Note to Michaelsmum. Scoliosis is a disability whether you choose to treat your child as disabled or not. The title disabled shouldn't be a stigma..although i grew up very much in denial. The individual works out ther own boundries..don't worry. I was a toughie kid despite bracing and casts..I treated them like armour and even used to fight with my little brother..clanking his head off my brace! haha. If there are benefits out there you could be entitled to..apply for everything! I don't mean to sound cold but when I was growing up my mum was a single parent of 2 and no one told her she could be entitled to extra benefits for me. She never claimed carers allowance despite being unable to work as i was often off or sent home from school. Even if you do not need the money now you could put it away in trust as it might be needed when he is older. I am unable to work mainly due to resp problems but I get Disability Living Allowance (which pays the bills). I think Carers allowance is awarded if you receive higher rate DLA care componant(which i don't but probably should). Good luck!

Abbi
3rd August 2007, 01:14 PM
Hello all,

This is a bit of difficult one, but personally I wouldn't consider my scoliosis to be a disability. However, I was told by the spinal nurse that it was and that I should apply for DLA. As a proud 17 y/o at the time I point blank refused, probably because I didn't want the 'disabled' label attached to me. Three years on, and irrespective of my surgery, I wouldn't accept DLA, as I don't think my condition inhibits me in any way. I think it really depends how the condition affects the individual person.

My main reason for replying to this thread was due to something I noticed on my registration details for my second year of University. On the form it states “disability: other disability” “DLA details not known/sought” so, as far as the University are aware, I have a disability.
At first glance I had to think why it was on the form, but when I was registering for uni three years ago, I had not had the surgery for scoliosis, and a date did not seem close. I was talking to my tutor at college and she advised me to declare that I had an “other disability” as if I needed to go to hospital appointments during uni, or even have the surgery through the term the uni would be a lot more understanding, so I went with that idea, and put it down.

However, now 2 years on I have had no major problems with my back and have not required any specific help from the university itself, so I am not sure if my form should state “other disability” anymore. What do you guys think?

tonibunny
3rd August 2007, 01:36 PM
I'd leave it as it is Abs, it's not doing any harm and if some freak accident happened (like you tumbled down some stairs and bruised your back badly) and it affected you more than it would someone with an unfused spine, the uni would be more understanding.

I know your own scoli was severe but in a lot of cases, I think, having had surgery for mild scoliosis gives a person no more of a disability than, say, wearing glasses. You're at a slight disadvantage because you can't bend so much as other people, but it doesn't really disable you!

Abbi
3rd August 2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks Toni,

When I started uni last year, I had an interview with one of the occupational health nurses and she asked me about my condition and if I need any specific help. The only thing I was having trouble with at the time was the matress in my student accommodation, so she advised me to ask my landlord for a new one, and come back to her if I had trouble getting one. I didn't have any trouble, so I was grand. She also said that if I did ever need more help other than what I asked for, she would help me out! :-)

GillyG
3rd August 2007, 05:46 PM
Seems a good idea to leave things as they are, Abbi, since - as with the mattress - it can sometimes make things a little easier to get sorted. I have to say I've never really looked into things myself, but if it turns out that I can't get back to my normal hours at work, then I might give it a try and see what they say.

Gilly xx

equinerider4life
5th September 2007, 01:13 AM
as sins said it is considered a disability but very few people are actually disabled by it.

stana29
15th September 2007, 12:54 AM
Hi,
I found this on one of the google websites:
Q:

What counts as a disability according to the law ?

A:

The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) protects disabled people. The Act sets out the circumstances in which a person is "disabled". It says you are disabled if you have:

a mental or physical impairment
this has an adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities
the adverse effect is substantial
the adverse effect is long-term (meaning it has lasted for 12 months, or is likely to last for more than 12 months or for the rest of your life).

There are some special provisions, for example:

If your impairment has substantially affected your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities, but doesn't any more, it will still be counted as having that effect if it is likely to do so again
if you have a progressive condition, and it will substantially affect your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities in the future, you will be regarded as having an impairment which has a substantial adverse effect from the moment the condition has some effect on your ability to carry out normal day to day activities.
if you have been diagnosed as having cancer, HIV infection or multiple sclerosis you will automatically be considered as ‘disabled’.
if you are registered as blind or partially sighted or certified as blind or partially sighted by a consultant ophthalmologist, you willl automatically be considered as “disabled”.
people who have had a disability in the past but are no longer disabled are covered by certain parts of the DDA.

What are "normal day-to-day activities"?
At least one of these areas must be substantially affected:

mobility
manual dexterity
physical co-ordination
continence
ability to lift, carry or move everyday objects
speech, hearing or eyesight
memory or ability to concentrate, learn or understand
understanding of the risk of physical danger

[SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]Just wanted to say that I would consider scoliosis as disability and especially those wearing brace jackets. My daughter is 5 and she has a scoliosis of 40 degrees as a result of a surgery to remove tumor wrapped around her spine.

As a result of having scoliosis and wearing a brace jacket she CAN'T:

- go horse riding (horses are the love of her life)
- ride her bike (very popular acitivity)
- climb on some of the climbing frames in the park
- put her shoes and socks on
- wipe her bottom!!!
- twist and turn
- jump on a trampoline

This is just what I can think of at the moment but I have to admit that she definately needs more care than a healthy child. Somebody once said that to put a brace on you need two patient people and a tender loving care. I strongly agree! You have to make sure it's put on properly otherwise it will not work and you risk hurting your child rather than helping her.

And in regards to how my daughter feels about wearing a brace jacket?

She feels odd and different. That's how she feels about herself not how others do despite me reassuring her that not only she is a brave girl but also a very special person for being through so much. But you can only do as much, they will always tell you how they feel and wearing a brace is not a pleasant feeling.

I can't tell you, I don't wear one but:

seeing my daughter being the last one when running with her friends in the park, seeing my daughter getting hot and sweaty on a cold day because of the vest and a brace,
seeing my daughter getting sores and bruises from a brace,
seeing my daughter leaning to one side because of her scoliosis,
having a huge scar across half of the chest and sides of her body,
seeing my daughter wanting those lovely jeans in the shop but knowing that she can't have it because she wouldn't fit in it because of the brace ......

IT'S HEARTBROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is so many activities thery are limited to. The certainly can't do much with the brace on. The can't dance with the brace on, do gymnastics, PE at school. We have to make sure that there is always someone who can take it off and safely put it on again. Isn't that already requiring more help than a healthy child? I think so. And I am sure it's more fun playing with other kids rather than standing with your hands up, having somebody putting that long vest on and lastly tightening the brace jacket knowing that you are not FREE anymore to do what you please. My daughter always says that she is FREE when I take the brace off and she says that if she wears the brace on for a long time will she be able to ride horses? Now that's a killer question. I don't know. That's all I can say!

I have to admit that I feel sorry for her like for any child with any medical background. She says: Why did this happen to me? Why do I have to be the only one at school wearing a brace? But it's great that despite being through cancer and now wearing a brace she is one of the happiest and content children I have ever seen. And I am not being biast. I had many people saying that including teachers etc.

Anyway, it's getting a little bit long. I apologise for venting it all out but I feel better for it.

Thank you for reading,
Good night,
Stana

tonibunny
15th September 2007, 03:15 AM
Hi Stana :squeeze:,

Sorry hon, I don't agree with everything you have written. I hope you don't mind me saying this. Maybe your daughter is more disabled because she had a spinal tumour, and not because of her scoliosis? I have met many children with scoliosis who wear jackets and casts, both as a child when I was in hospital myself and now through SSO, and I am surprised at the things you say Jessie cann't do.

At the age of five and with a curve of nearly 70 degrees I was able to do PE, dance, climb on climbing frames, dress myself, AND wipe my own bottom whilst wearing a Milwaukee brace or solid plaster of paris jackets (and those things were a lot heavier then, because they didn't start using fibreglass until later on).

I wouldn't go on a trampoline in a Milwaukee, but I did so plenty of times wearing plaster casts when I was at pre-school playgroup (I loved the trampoline there which is why I remember it!). I rode on horses in a Milwaukee too.

At school in PE I was expected to do everything the other kids did, and I might not have been able to do some physical activities as well as they did, but I wasn't actually prevented from doing anything. Oh, apart from swimming....you can't swim in a plaster cast!

My parents would take my Milwaukee off, but by the age of 7 I was able to take it off and put it on myself anyway. Sometimes when my parents took my brace off it would scrape me a bit....it didn't bother me cos it was worth putting up with that for the hour of freedom I got!

Yes it's a bummer, but wearing a brace as a little child is far from a miserable, disabling existence.

Toni xx

andrea
15th September 2007, 09:24 AM
I have to agree with Toni. Erin is 5 with a 55degree curve in a cast (much more out of the cast) and I don't feel it has an "adverse" effect on her day to day life. She does gymnastics, PE, climbs climbing frames, rides her bike and has ridden horses. She doesn't like riding much, so doesn't do it lots, but that's not because of her scoli. She dances, and has passed 7 exams and taken part in 2 big dance shows, and is about to start at drama school. She can go on trampolines and dress herself (pretty much) and put socks and shoes on. I'm not intending this to be a "isn't my daughter great" thread, but i just wanted to put things down that she CAN do rather than what she can't.

I do understand the heart breaking, and the frustrations and everything else that goes with this journey, but it doesn't need to be that bad. I don't know what sort of brace your daughter wears, but there shouldn't be any reason why she can't do some of the activities you state. What's stopping her from bouncing on a trampoline or riding a bike, for eg?

I'm sorry you're feeling this way about things at the moment. I'm glad she's content and happy at school. That's reassuring.

Andrea x

stana29
15th September 2007, 11:25 AM
Hi Tony,

Of course I don't mind you saying what you did. We all have different opinions that are expressed here to help other people. I am certainly not making up all those things she can't do. I wish it was otherwise.

The reason for not being able to ride her bike is that the brace is preventing her from putting her legs apart and peddaling. Also she can put her legs apart when wearing a brace if she wants to ride a horse. In might as well be that she is not wearing the brace on properly. If you say guys that you or your children are doing any physical acitivities without a broblem than I will certailny ask about it on our monday's appointment with the orthotics and with her orthopeadic.

In regards to using the trampoline, I was advised by doctors that the pressure on the spine by jumping is not good for her. Any views on that?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to concentrate on writing about how many things she can do and I am not certainly enjoying writing about negative aspects of wearing a brace but perhaps it's because she is in a stage of getting used to her boston brace and it might get better soon.

Thank you,
Stana

michaelsmum
18th September 2007, 10:14 PM
Thank you very much for ur sincere and honest reply, i started this thread and was nervous about asking the "disability" question. i am still learning about scoliosis my son has only been in his brace from July. At first it was hard for him to adjust bending etc, but he got there after a few days! The great benefit for me was that he started to sleep for 4 hours during the nite which was amazing, as he would only sleep on the sofa (hanging off the edge in an arch) for short periods of time1 :evil:

He has lost his belly from july and has grew some, which is great he now looks his age. He is growing up the way now instead of hunched over! In the past 2 weeks he has started waking in the nite crying in pain and cant get comfortable to go back over 2 sleep. Also keeps rubbing the very bottom of his spine when the brace is removed to get his nappy changed!! So im back to square 1, nurofen helps but i dont want to give him it all the time!! He has also had problems going to the loo for the past 4 days. Brought him to my GP who give me Lactulose to help him go to the loo and couldnt give me any advice regarding his sleeping said it might be behavioural!!! Now i have 2 other daughters and I no its nots behavioural!! Sooooooooooooooooooo I contacted my consultant who off course was not available but the spinal nurse is going to arrange another appointment for 3 weeks to see if he needs a new jacket fitted.
He is a very active wee man who wants to walk everywhere, getting hot and sweaty makes him moany and hard to deal with sometimes. I dont know how his scoliolsis will progress, I hope he will be able to ride a bike and jump on the trampolne with his sisters and do all the stuff little boys do! I will just have to wait and see.

Anyway this is getting on and off the point probably but i just wanted to say he is certainly different from the other boys his age maybe not in a big way but he needs more care and attention and this will be needed even more when he also starts asking questions about why he wears the brace and asks why he is different from all the other boys. I feel for you stana and I can only hope that I will cope with my sons future with scoliolis operation or not as well as urself! With the help of this site cause its a godsend.

Lisa

GillyG
18th September 2007, 10:54 PM
Constipation can cause a lot of pain in the lower back, it might be this, rather than the brace, that's causing your son's discomfort. Keep giving him the Lactulose, it takes a while but it does work in the end (speaking as one who knows!! :P )

Hope your son is feeling better soon.

:squeeze:

Gilly xx

michaelsmum
18th September 2007, 11:02 PM
I didnt mean to insert that whipping symbol im hopeless at this!! :woe:

michaelsmum
18th September 2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks Gilly, i waited for two hours this morning in open surgery for my GP to prescribe a bottle of lactulose. She couldnt even suggest that his constipation could possibily be causing his pain! Just dismissed talking about the brace.
Much appreciated.
Lisa

GillyG
18th September 2007, 11:23 PM
Well, I can assure you that I suffered terribly with constipation before my surgery (and in the period immediately afterwards because of painkiller side effects! :P ) My GP always gave me Lactulose as it's so gentle when your bowels are already in spasm. It sometimes took up to a week to work as it softens things very gradually, but it always worked in the end. I always felt the pain as a sort of pressure in my lower back which made sitting extremely uncomfortable, and I also had cramps in my abdomen which were so severe at times that I would be sick. I would never underestimate how painful constipation can be.

*edited for typing mistakes!*

jfkimberly
18th September 2007, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by GillyG@Sep 18 2007, 03:54 PM
Constipation can cause a lot of pain in the lower back, it might be this, rather than the brace, that's causing your son's discomfort. Keep giving him the Lactulose, it takes a while but it does work in the end (speaking as one who knows!! :P )

Hope your son is feeling better soon.

:squeeze:

Gilly xx
Okay, this is a serious topic, and I hate to trivialize it by finding humour in people's posts, but... well...

Constipation... Lactulose... "it does work in the end"! Am I the only one who thinks this is funny?

*ducks* Sorry for the crude humour.

GillyG
19th September 2007, 12:00 AM
Perhaps I should have said "it does work AT the end!!!" :glee: :glee: :glee: :glee:

michaelsmum
19th September 2007, 05:55 PM
LOL heres hoping his end is in working order soon! :glee:

Sarah
7th October 2007, 11:48 PM
No idea what classes as extra needs for. If in doubt and thought you'd want to see if he got anything for care needs you could make an appointment with someone at your local CAB office and enquire?

My friend I used to work with has not long received the mobilty bit to the DLA for her scoliosis. I don't really know all the details yet as to how she got it but all i know is she has not had surgery and I know someone at our local CAB helped her to get it.

I have the mobility bit for 2 years but that is due to a big arthritis flare from 2005 the doc did for me and is completely not a scoliosis related problem. Besides when I had the spine surgery and was restricted as I had a brace for 12 months, otherwise from that I was never treated any different from any of the other kids at school nor was I by the teachers and was never classed as disabled as I did absolutely everything all my other class members did including being given the humps and swung in the swim pool on b'days.

If it helps you/your sons needs there's no harm in enquiring. :-)

jamielynn
4th January 2008, 09:31 PM
I HATE it when people think that just because i have scoliosis, I'm disabled, because I'm really not.. unfortunatley, people from So-Cal, are VERY obssesed with the way they look, I often get a lot of cruel remarks about how i look what i wear, and other snotty stuff...

Kentish
6th January 2008, 05:48 AM
I'm not disabled, but I am registered as disabled.

My sister-in-law who sufferes from spinal muscular atrophy explained it to me like this: You may be able to do anything that a normal personal can do, like walking, lifting etc, but if you know that by doing certain things, you will suffer later in the day with severe pain, then thats a disability. I can do anything, well almost anything that a 'normal' person can do, but if I say walk 2 miles, my back wont be very happy about it later in the day so thats a disability as thats a limitation.

So I'm registered disabled even though by looking at me you wouldnt necessarily guess theres anything wrong with me. I'd say that if you have scoliosis that effects your life, even very small things, then technically you are disabled. Whether or not you chose to label yourself or your child as disabled is very much down to the individual.

snowy24040
8th January 2008, 05:21 PM
HI MICHAELS MUM

I WAS WONDERING AFTER SUCH A LONG DEBATE ON THIS TOPIC DID YOU APPLY FOR DLA ?

X X SHARON X X

michaelsmum
11th January 2008, 12:43 PM
Yes I did and michael now receives middle rate disbility living allowance and i applied to be his full time carer.

boabsmum
6th February 2008, 10:40 PM
my wee boy was diagnoses with a scoliosis when he was 4 years old. He was initially treated with a plaster of paris brace then went onto a boston brace at 6years, He continues to wear boston braces for 20 hours per day. He is now 9 years old he participate in all sporting activities at school, climbs trees, rides a motor bike and a petrol quad. He will be operated on in the future, donot know when. He is in no way disabled infact its the other kids who end up hurt when they forget he has it on.

Its difficult at first, we as parents want to protect our children but we must treat them no different. They very quickly learn to play on it and can use the scoliosis as attention seeking or for extra time of school my wee monsters tried it in a number of occassions. :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

SoFFpt
10th February 2008, 02:07 AM
For the young guys if you want you can take the intimidation approach. :)

Very few people know of mine and I get questions all the time in PT as to why I can't do all the stretches or why I can't do back bends or why I can't do this or that, and I simply tell them this or that muscle hurts or that my muscles are sore from growing from working out. I've gotten 2-3 tattoos and took up MMA cagefighting, and now I get a lot of "omg do not mess with him!" things which counters the demoralization of not being able to keep up with others in activities. I'm not saying become a top cage fighter, but as long as you appear to be strong and as if you could care less about your braces or pains people will embrace it with you. Confidence is a key to a lot of things, and being confident in yourself with scoliosis will alleviate a lot of mental tension and pain.