PDA

View Full Version : BRACE MARKS

snowy24040
24th July 2007, 10:14 PM
HI AGAIN

COURTNEYS WORN HER BRACE TODAY FOR 3 HOURS WHEN I TOOK IT OFF SHE GOT SOME NASTY SORE MARKS UNDER HER ARMS AND ON HER HIPS .WILL THIS MAKE IT MORE UNCOMFORTABLE TO WEAR TOMORROW ? IVE BEEN WORKING IN CARE FOR 17 YEARS SO I WASHED HER BACK AND RUBBED CREAM IN TO THE RED AREAS THE SAME AS I WOULD TO PREVENT PRESSURE SORES IN BED RIDDEN OR IMOBILE PEOPLE. IS THIS WHAT OTHER PEOPLE DO

X X SHARON X X

andrea
25th July 2007, 12:15 PM
Hi Sharon

I think it's normal to have marks and sore patches with braces - Erin certainly did. If the brace wasn't tight then it wouldn't be doing its job properly, and of course her skin isn't used to it. She'll get used to it over time I'm sure. Sleeping will be a problem initially as she won't be able to bend her body to turn over or sit up, but again she'll get used to it. I'm not sure whether cream is advisable or not - you may want to ask your orthotist about that. I'm sure they're used to people calling to ask questions.

Best of luck
Andrea

newgirl
25th July 2007, 10:34 PM
Hi Sharon,
I am afraid sore and red patches are completely normal.
We were advised not to use cream, if possible as it tends to soften the skin and really the skin has to harden to get used to the brace, However best to check with your Orthotist dept to be sure.
We were also given a supply of granuflex(sp) dressing to use if the skin does break down, but I have only ever had to use it once.
Hope Courtney is coping ok
Nicola

snowy24040
25th July 2007, 10:43 PM
HI

THANKS FOR THE INFO, WEVE HAD A BETTER DAY TODAY SHE HAD LEAVING PARTY AT PLAYSCHOOL AND SHE LOVED SHOWING IT OFF.I THINK THE TROUBLE YESTURDAY WAS WE WERE ALL TIRED ITS A NINE HOUR TRIP FOR US TO GET TO GOSH.AND I KEPT THINKING IVE BATTLED TO GET THIS FAR AND IF SHE DOESNT WEAR IT WE WOULD BE BACK TO SQUARE ONE.SO FINGERS CROSSED STARS AND BRIBERY SEEM TO BE DOING THE TRICK.

X X SHARON X X

littlelou1975
14th August 2007, 11:25 PM
When I had my brace..(now we are going back a long time..25 yrs almost) we were given sticky back fleece. It was a pink colour and quite thin. My mum cut in in strips or squares and it was stuck to the edges of my braces where it rubbed. Mostly it was overlapped on the edges at my hips as it rubbed when I walked or at the armpits. It had to be replaced every so often but that was easy enough done.It really worked but I'm afraid i don't know what it was called or if its still available.

littlelou1975
14th August 2007, 11:29 PM
Mepilex.. made by Tendra, Ref. 2944XX ..found this mentioned elsewhere on this site. Could be the stuff i was on about. keep me posted. Good luck xx

Amazed Jean
15th August 2007, 01:53 AM
Sharon, I am sorry your daughter is suffering - the poor lamb. I don't know what to do but i suspect that you call the brace place they will know. Give her and yourself a hug from Oklahoma.

sg-ni
15th August 2007, 01:42 PM
I used some thick sticky patches, the felty materialy type ones you put on bad cuts (melolin i think they are called) and stuck them around the bit that went under my arm to make it a bit softer against my skin. Also if it was really burning and sore id have put some sudocrem on the patch over the side of the brace too.

It done a decent job at reducing the sore marks I got.

Other times I just had some crep bandage wrapped around the bit which went under my arm.

Just checked the name of the thing littlelou1975 posted and the things I used looked something similar to that. My mother just lifted them from her work in the hospital you are bound to get something similar in a chemists or somewhere like that.

Cheers