PDA

View Full Version : bracing



snowy24040
23rd July 2007, 11:29 PM
HI EVERYONE

COURTNEY FINALLY GETS HER BRACE TOMORROW.BUT WHAT IVE BEEN WONDERING IS WHY THEY LEAVE HER IN A BRACE FOR SUCH A LONG TIME .WHEN SHE GOES FOR HER SIX MONTHLY CHECKUPS WITH MR TUCKER AS LONG AS THE BRACE IS HOLDING HER CURVE AS IT IS SHE WILL HAVE TO WEAR UNTIL SHES EIGHT.SHE HAS TO HAVE SURGERY BRACED OR NOT SO WHY DO THEY WAIT UNTIL SHES EIGHT .IF YOU HAVE TO HAVE SURGERY ANYWAY ISNT IT EASIER TO GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH .IF HER CURVE GROWS WITH THE BRACE ON HE WILL OPERATE IN JANUARY SO I DONT UNDERSTAND.IS IT A RECOVERY THING OR ARE BONES STRONGER ? I ALL WAYS THINK OF STUFF I SHOULD HAVE ASKED NOW I WONT GET THE CHANCE TILL JANUARY BUT IM SURE ONE OF YOU HAS THE ANSWERS.

CHANGING THE SUBJECT DID ANYONE WATCH FIGHT FOR LIFE? THE OPERATION THE LITTLE BOY HAD IS THE SAME AS COURTNEYS ONLY IT WAS LOWER DOWN HER SPINE.IT LOOKED NASTY ,BUT ARNT THEM DOCTORS SO CLEVER .THEY RECORDED HER OP FOR TRAINING PURPOSES BUT I DONT THINK ILL BE ASKING TO SEE IT.



X X LOVE TO ALL X X

SHARON

tonibunny
24th July 2007, 12:54 AM
Hi Sharon,

Is Courtney going to have growth rod surgery or a fusion surgery?

It's usually better to put a child into a brace than put them through the growth rod surgery and subsequent rod lengthenings every few months. The longer a brace works for her, the fewer surgeries/general anaesthetics she'll need for the growth rod procedures.

If they are thinking of permanently fusing her spine, they won't operate yet if the brace holds the curve because they'll want Courtney to be able to grow a bit first. After fusion surgery, any parts of the spine that are fused cannot grow, so ideally it's best to leave surgery for as long as safely possible where young children are concerned. So long as the brace holds her scoliosis so it doesn't get worse, they'll be able to delay the surgery.

It was always known that I'd need surgery too, even from when I was diagnosed with scoliosis as a baby, but braces and plaster casts held my curves until they began to rapidly deteriorate when I was 10. Then I was whisked into hospital and had my first fusion done :-)

Hope this helps!

Toni xx

ELLA22
24th July 2007, 09:14 AM
Hi Sharon
We know that Cerys has got to have surgery and have been told that they are trying to hold out until she is 5 so as to give her more time to grow. Our surgeon said that you tend to do a lot of growing between 0 - 5 yrs then it slows down a bit until puberty.
We haven't been given the option of a brace as her curve is in the cervical region so it's very much a case of wait and see at the minute - I stripped her off yesterday to show mum as the curve has become more obvious so will see what they say in October!
Good luck with the bracing - hope that it is not too bad for Courtney. Has she picked a nice patterned one?
Sending hugs for you both :squeeze:

Rachie
24th July 2007, 11:17 AM
Maddy is having her first growth rod surgery in September. We've been told that they expect to correct the curve by around 60% and she is currently 76 degrees. She was first diagnosed at age 4 with a curve of 61 degrees. She was never offered bracing but we have now changed doctors. If a brace had kept her curve at 61 degrees the final correction would have been better and surgery may have been delayed for a while. We are now being treated by Mr Tucker's team at GOSH and I have every confidence in them. He probably wants to delay surgery as long as possible but it's there to fall back on if the brace doesn't work.

Rachie x

andrea
24th July 2007, 01:22 PM
I think there are a few of us in the situation where we're trying to put off surgery for as long as possible. I don't know what Erin's curve is out of the cast (not sure i want to know), but the purpose of the cast is to stop it getting worse, similarly with the brace. I think our golden figure is somewhere nearing 70. Mr T said he wouldn't want her going over 70 so I guess at that point we would have surgery. If we make it to 8 i think i'll be surprised and happy!

Hope she settles well with the new brace.
Andrea xx

tonibunny
24th July 2007, 09:09 PM
Keep positive Andrea - my hospital notes showed that Mr Edgar thought that when I was five I'd "definitely be needing surgery aged 8 or 9" and they managed to put it off until I was ten :D It had gone up to 76 degrees by then though.

I'm sure that most of you are aware that there's a huge difference between congenital and idiopathic scoliosis cases in young children, and those with congenital scoliosis usually require the surgery a lot earlier than those with idiopathic.

jfkimberly
25th July 2007, 08:38 AM
I'm a good example of a severe congenital case. I had my first fusion attempt at 11 months. The fusion didn't take, so I was in a cast until I'd healed sufficiently, then had my second surgery at 17 months.

I'm also a good example of why you want to delay fusion surgery as long as possible. With such an early surgery, my resultant lung volume is about 0.8L (25% of expected). In fact, the thoracic insufficiency is my primary disability. If they'd had VEPTR when I was born, I would've been a prime candidate for it. Unfortunately, I was born about fifteen years too early.